Reversible AKG K701 bass mod
Sep 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 398
  I did this mod tonight and will post impressions later. Right now I'm really impressed. The bass is even better on my Q701 now than the Annie ever was.
So far I haven't really heard anything else different in the sound signature..how is that even possible?

My ears are really bombarded now due to spending about 5 hours today on modding things and listening to music.

Strangely with the extra bass impact the sound is even clearer?!

NOTE: This mod is very dangerous if you don't know how to solder if you pull apart a wire. You have the mini-XLR plug just hanging there.
It was a pain to remove this piece without tweezers and without removing that inside bracket. Luckily this just peels off.

It was actually more of a pain than recabling my HD-598
confused_face_2.gif

I wonder if the K712 and Annie have the bass port open? On my Q701 it was closed (Well, duh). Some have said it's open, but it definitely isn't.

It'd be hilarious if the K712 bass port was open.

Just checked and my K702.65AE have the cover over the port. You can kind of see in from the side with the grill off without removing the soldered wires. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 398
We need to get someone to open their k712 and take a picture :wink:

I did this mod tonight and will post impressions later. Right now I'm really impressed. The bass is even better on my Q701 now than the Annie ever was.
So far I haven't really heard anything else different in the sound signature..how is that even possible?

My ears are really bombarded now due to spending about 5 hours today on modding things and listening to music.

Strangely with the extra bass impact the sound is even clearer?!

NOTE: This mod is very dangerous if you don't know how to solder if you pull apart a wire. You have the mini-XLR plug just hanging there.
It was a pain to remove this piece without tweezers and without removing that inside bracket. Luckily this just peels off.

It was actually more of a pain than recabling my HD-598 :confused_face_2:

I wonder if the K712 and Annie have the bass port open? On my Q701 it was closed (Well, duh). Some have said it's open, but it definitely isn't.

It'd be hilarious if the K712 bass port was open.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 398
The K712 has it closed.  I posted a pic of it weeks ago on the K712 thread.

FWIR so far, it seems like all x70x headphones have it closed.  So I guess it's not something AKG fiddles with.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #22 of 398
I'm really afraid to hear a K712 with the bass port open. I bet ruler flat low bass! Don't tempt me.
I want to punch myself in the face for destroying my Annie pads!!

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #24 of 398
innerressing.

I'll have to try this sometime!

Dec 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #25 of 398
Hi there,
I tried to remove silver grids from my K701 in order di mod. I easily removed one of them, but one is locked. Any idea? Then how can go on? Do you have a photos sequence, please? Thanks in advance!

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 398
I'm wondering if this mod will effect the service life of the drivers? What was the original design purpose of the bass port plug? I'm going to try it. Might even get a newer pair of 701s just to mod.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #27 of 398
I saw this mod several months while ago, but I was afraid of ruining my headphones. Now I'm more adventurous, I decided to give it a try.

So I just did the mod on my old K701. I report that the Bass IMPACT is much better than before. You can FEEL the bass now, which was one thing that K701 always did poorly. I can't comment on other things since I don't have a modified vs un-modified K701 side by side. The impact is one thing that should be very noticeable to people who are familiar with the headphone.

Two things to watch out for when taking it apart:

1. The first layer, the silver grill on the sides: take a sharp object, poke it into one of the tiny holes on the grill, preferably near the edge to give you more angular force (physics majors, please don't kill me, i know my definitions are rusty), twist it COUNTERCLOCKWISE. You'll most likely scratch some silver paint off. But it's okay, no damage to audio quality.

2. The wires inside are extremely thin, be VERY careful not to put tension on them. Otherwise you'll need a solder kit if you break one of them.

When you get to the center, it's not that easy to peel the film off. You need pliers, and slowly work your way through the sticky film if you want to preserve them. I didn't care about reversing the mod, so I just destroyed them with a flat-head screwdriver.

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #29 of 398
How much more bass does this ad compared to foam ring mod? I was thinking about trying this with k501. Unfortunately I don't remember if it even has that pass port thingy and I would prefer not to open up the headphones for nothing. I'ts a bitch trying to keep those k501 stickers in place and not to loose those.

On akg k501 foam ring mod has very slight slight effect on bass and to my ears has no efffect to the sound otherwise. When bass is allready well presented this hardly has any impact. When bass guitar notes and such are on the background and hardly audible this mod will bring them more forward. I guess in a way this is as much a detail improving mod as it is bass improving. This will definately not make k501 bassy but it's an improvement.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #30 of 398
Well, I bet you will be able to notice it with this mod. Just try, it's completely reversible and it's easy to open and check. You can open just one side and have a look for the shake of the K501 community. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back