Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Aug 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,728 of 3,047
Proof that I listened to them both recently at the New York meet:

People talk about V-Curve, V-Curve, V-Curve when it comes to the M50s, and I think that is a correct way to describe them.  Coming from the FA-003 the treble is extremely sparkly and the bass is emphasized.  The bass is significantly flabbier on the M50s as well.

So overall the FA-003 is much more neutral and more detailed imo.  It also has a better soundstage, and from what I could tell, better isolation.
But M50s look great and are still one of my favorite cans for pop.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,729 of 3,047

Quote:
Umm, what do you mean? MFSL?

I am a mastering engineer. I usually remaster my own music.

Quote:
Proof that I listened to them both recently at the New York meet:

People talk about V-Curve, V-Curve, V-Curve when it comes to the M50s, and I think that is a correct way to describe them.  Coming from the FA-003 the treble is extremely sparkly and the bass is emphasized.  The bass is significantly flabbier on the M50s as well.

So overall the FA-003 is much more neutral and more detailed imo.  It also has a better soundstage, and from what I could tell, better isolation.
But M50s look great and are still one of my favorite cans for pop.

I agree. The M50's are not really hi-fi IMHO as they do have a very pronounced V-Curve EQ to them. The bass is flabby and the highs are almost piercing. The FA-003 is neutral and natural sounding with better soundstage and precise imaging. If you want bass, then the FA-011 should be just the thing you want.

I still think that with an FA-003 and an FA-011, you should have all bases covered for relatively little money for a hi-fi system. To get better sound you are going to have to spend upwards to $800 to get it and it will only improve in certain areas.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,730 of 3,047
Does anybody have tips on reducing the clamping force on these things? Its been quite some time but the headband still clamps down hard on my noggin'. I tried putting them over books( total with width wider than my own head) and it does reduce the clamping force but only for around half an hour before it gets hard again. :frowning2:

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,731 of 3,047

Quote:
Does anybody have tips on reducing the clamping force on these things? Its been quite some time but the headband still clamps down hard on my noggin'. I tried putting them over books( total with width wider than my own head) and it does reduce the clamping force but only for around half an hour before it gets hard again. :frowning2:

You were doing it right except that you need to let the headphones sit on the books for a long time.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,732 of 3,047
I listened to the FA-003s for a couple minutes a while back, and I have to say - I am impressed! They sounded much more appealing than the HD 598s, and possibly a bit better than the K601s. Something about the spacey-ness and clarity in the mids (especially for a sub-$200 headphone) makes me really want to try these. Is GD Audiobase the best way for me to get a pair?

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,735 of 3,047
Where could i purchase FA 003? I checked few stores but they are all out of stock.

But they still have FA-002w (with wooden cups). My questions are

1. Is FA-002W the same as FA-003? In terms of SQ which one is better since FA-002W is more expensive?

2. Why FA-002w with  beech light brown color is cheaper than the one with american walnut color?

Beech light brown
(http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2)

American walnut
(http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=66&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2)

I want to get the beech light brown one if it has the same quality as FA-003.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,736 of 3,047
They actually sound quite different from each other. The 003 sounds much more forward and aggressive while the woodies are more laid back with a more airy feel. The bass is also more prominent in the woodies. The price difference is due to theavailabilityamd value of the wood. Walnut which is rarer and more valuable costs more( I think they use it for instrument making sometimes) beech is a relatively cheap and common wood (often used to make wooden furniture and utensils). I have read somewhere that the more expensive woods do have an effect on the sound but by how much I'm not sure. The difference between stock and wood cups is quite big though so it really depends on what type of sound u prefer.

Btw, when u say have the headphones clamped over books for a long time, how long are we talking? Weeks? O.o

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #1,737 of 3,047

Quote:
I'm wondering if The Wall can sound any better than MFSL.

Oh you are opening a can of worms w/ that question friend.  He does do some amazing work and he know his stuff.  MFSL would be lucky to have him.  

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #1,738 of 3,047
There are so many types of wood, i think its a good idea for me just to wait for FA-003. I am afraid after i pay more for wood ones then the quality is lower.

Anyone knows where to get FA-003 for now?

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #1,739 of 3,047
If this is specific to the 003, care to elaborate?

Sure, I'll try my best.

As you like to say, please take this with a grain of salt.

I'm a little bit skeptical.

I quickly changed to original cable and played Jen Chapin - You Haven't Done Nothin' (96/24 FLAC). Ssss. High frequencies sounded dirtier. A little bit MP3-like.

I put back the thick canare cable. Unpause the same song. Highs are clear again. Just like I'm used to.

Back to original cable. It's difficult to describe. It's clear that high frequencies lost quality. Also, it sounds quieter. Soundstage got a little bit narrower, chambered, more artificial. That saxophone (or something) in left channel sounds better articulated with canare cable. When she sings 'aa' and 'o' softly, she makes that little noise. That noise is more distinct with original cable. You probably did not understand the last two sentences, I'm sorry. My English and audio experience is poor.

OK. Next song: Bjork - It's Oh So Quiet (44.1/16 FLAC). That bass in the intro and middle of the song is better controlled with canare and goes a little deeper. Canare sounds clearer on highs again. Like in Jen's song, similar things happen to soundstage here..

Conclusion: I have to change my mind. Actually, I never did such a serious test before and was thinking there's no audible difference. But now I can say that recabling does make a difference.

Old pics:​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back