Review: Massdrop x NuForce EDC In-Ear Monitors
Jul 5, 2017 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)
Review: Massdrop x NuForce EDC In-Ear Monitors

Before I start the review, I would like to thank Massdrop for the complementary earphone.

The main review is also located here https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/massdrop-x-nuforce-edc-in-ear-monitors.22506/reviews.

Introduction

Massdrop is back at it again - this time with a budget-friendly IEM. Their premise is that this specific NuForce is designed to be carried every day with you, as Massdrop has added the “EDC” or otherwise known as “Every Day Carry”. I’ll take a closer look at this IEM to find out if I feel that the NuForce should not only have the EDC name attached to it, but, should you carry it everyday with you to listen to your tunes as you walk, wait, or want to mute the world around you? Read more to find out!

Audio equipment used in the review

Earphone
Massdrop x NuForce EDC In-Ear Monitors: $59.99

Earphones mentioned and compared
1MORE EO323 Dual Driver: $69.99
FiiO F5: $79.99
Meze Headphones 11 Neo Gun Metal: $59.00
Sennheiser CX 686G Sport: $69.95
SHOZY Zero: $50
SoundMAGIC E80 In-Ear Headphone: £64.99 (~$84.00)

Sources
iPhone 6: (Space Gray, 128GB): $849.99 or $399.99 with a 2-Year Contract
Microsoft Surface Book: Starting at $1,499
Questyle Audio QP1R Golden: $899 USD

Software Applications Used
Spotify Premium – Extreme Setting
TIDAL HiFi – Lossless

An avid wrestler, coach, teacher, father and mentor, I like to immerse music lovers in headphones, earphones and sources that do nothing but make the listeners smile.

Ringing in my ears? Oh, tinnitus? I get that about 2 times a year, for about 10 seconds each time. Other than that, I’m currently good to go with regards to my hearing. Even if my hearing is perfect or not so perfect, what I hear may or may not match what you hear, for a multitude of reasons (genetic, physical, psychological, age, etcetera).

My music preferences are anything that has a great beat to it, not too vulgar in nature and anything that can induce head-bobbing, toe-tapping and maybe even dancing if the mood is right. I normally listen to (alphabetically): Alternative, Classical, Hip-Hop, Indie, Popular/Top Hits, Rock, and R&B/Soul. I will even from time to time listen to Blues, Jazz, Modern Electronic, Retro/Classics, and World.

Measurements - I measure headphone output dB with my decibel measurer app that anyone can download, replicate and have an instant reference with what I use to test. Frequency spectrum measurements are seldom posted, as the manufacturer’s measurements are usually the best guidelines to go by. Why? They use them to tune their equipment, and it’s from their own specific parameters. I agree with Ken Ball from ALO’s overall statement/post when it comes to frequency response measurements (verbatim):

“…I thought it might be good to post some frequency response measurements first before we see a lot of variations posted by people. Without going into a long drawn out thesis / debate on measurements I just want to say that I have not seen any reviewers measurements that are accurate and it can be difficult to interpret a freq measurement. I don't use HRTF compensation curve on my measurements because I am familiar with the raw freq curve so when I see a curve I know what it sounds like and am comfortable with what I am seeing. So to state my measurement so I can be happy that this is the official freq I am posting it here now. I do not really want to get into any debates on what the freq means or read into it too much as a freq measurement is only a very small part of the over all picture of the product. I would MUCH rather listen to the IEM than read a freq.

In addition, I dont want to sound like I dont welcome people to also have fun and measure, but just want to say that taking a accurate measurement is tricky, also tricky to read into the measurement. I spent over $15,000 on on measurement system and it took me almost a year with professional help to calibrate and set it up 100%. So in doing so it is expensive and can be difficult to set up and calibrate. I know my set up is accurate because I send my IEMs to independent labs to double check everything.”

I also had the chance to talk with Dan Wiggins from perodic audio at various audio events and has been very enlightening to talk audio with him. Here are Mr. Wiggins’ thoughts on measurements (verbatim):

“Hi all,

Wanted to toss my $0.02 into the mix...

For those that know who I am, then you know I have a bit of a reputation in the industry (good). For those that don't, I can guarantee you've heard my work if you've ever listened to live or recorded music. From recording microphones to studio monitors to PA systems to consumer systems, I've designed audio systems and transducers for pretty much all the big players - and done so many, many times (not to mention lots of headphones and IEMs along the way).

In my experience, measurement correlation between systems is hard to first establish and even more difficult to maintain. Datasets within a measurement system/location/team can be fairly consistent over time as long as the equipment is rigorously maintained, processes are slavishly followed, and the team cares greatly about consistency. Otherwise - all bets are off.

In production of audio systems, we use "golden samples" - we use a very small number of selected reference units that are deemed as "ideal". A day's production usually starts with the online production test systems measuring the golden sample, then tolerances are set accordingly to that measurement. All production must pass within the tolerance window, and the few (typically one or two a week) that essentially have no deviation from the golden sample are culled out and reserved as future, replacement "golden samples" (the tolerance can be discussed later, but suffice to say it is probably an order of magnitude larger than most HeadFi'ers would expect).

In other words, we use physical representations to calibrate against, rather than abstract numbers and concepts. It all comes down to how measurements can change from not just system to system or operator to operator but day to day. Temperature and humidity can affect measurements in significant manners. Environmental noise can - and definitely will! - corrupt measurements. Different mountings of DUTs (Device Under Test) by operators will affect measurements.

In essence, after installing literally hundreds (perhaps over a thousand) acoustic test systems, at dozens of factories in dozens of countries, I can confidently say that expecting consistency between two or more systems is a fool's errand. Won't happen.

Measurements are a great way to confirm you are getting what you expect, and to document where you are. And they are relevant within the same local world (equipment, team, environment). They can be used to guide design of product by a team, a team that is familiar and experienced with what measurement X really means in terms of what they are designing.

So with that, measurement correlation between different teams is never really expected, nor should it be. In fact, I start to get nervous if things line up too well! Great consistency tells me either the wrong settings are being used (we're not looking at a fine enough level of detail - we're oversmoothing/over-interpolating), or some fudging is going on to make things look closer than they really are.

All that said - don't expect measurements from one person to closely track that of another. Look at how products vary inside each measurement set, and assume the variances are at least relative - that is much more instructive. If one system is hot or cold in the treble, it will be consistently hot or cold, and you'll see that as you compare larger datasets between different systems. That is what we should pay attention to, rather than a few cherry-picked comparisons.”

Measurements are valid to possibly get a glimpse or gist of what we are hearing, but measurements are not the end all be all. Various manufacturers have told me privately that even though it may measure flat, it may not sound flat. Also, measurement devices do not equal our brain and cannot measure with absolute 100 percent certainty with regards to what we hear and feel. I listen with my ears, and write based on my interpretations of the music that is being presented to me.

A wise man once told me: "Music is the only thing that doesn't have war, pestilence, garbage, crap - music is so general, it's such a beautiful canopy of peace."

Inside the box

Open the box, and you’ll see:

1 Massdrop x NuForce EDC In-Ear Monitor
2 Cables (one braided, one with remote/mic)
3 Sets of silicone ear tips (S, M, L)
2 Sets of foam ear tips (M, L)
1 Zippered carrying case

Also, the final version of the Massdrop x NuForce EDC (otherwise known as “EDC” in this review) housing will be slightly lighter blue in color than the ones that I have, which is more of a dark midnight blue hue to the housing.

Build and aesthetics

Solid cables and connectors

Internally, the EDC utilizes a 6 millimeter dynamic per side, that are claimed to be closely matched on each side.

The housing is a glossy plastic on the outside, and the side that touches your ears is a soft, smoother matte plastic that fits the contours of the ear very well. Weight is very minimal at 15 grams with the braided cable and 16 grams with the remote/mic cable.

The connectors use a proprietary 2-pin connector that can only be inserted one way, which helps not only make bending the 2-pin cable that much more difficult, but allows for no twisting of the cable at the connector, which aides when moving around.

One supplied cable is a basic-looking cable, with remote and mic attached to it for taking calls. The other supplied cable is a braided cable that I would like to call “the audiophile cable”. Why do I say that? Well, for one thing, this braided cable doesn’t use a remote or mic, and based on who you speak to or what you read the use of a remote or mic may adversely affect the end sound that is heard, compared to a cable that doesn’t use a remote or mic. What’s good is that both cables are available and you can choose the one that’s best for your wants and needs.

The EDC’s use the thinnest non-wire memory wire for both of the cables that I’ve ever seen or felt. The cable’s memory wire overmolding is so thin that you have to actively search for the molding, especially on the braided cable. Absolutely amazing!

Both cables use L-shaped jacks, which help thwart against accidental cable pulls from device ports. The remote/mic cable has strain relief at the end of the jack, and the braided “audiophile cable” utilizes no strain relief.

Overall the earphone as a whole is designed well, is lightweight and is stuble to look at.

Fit and comfort

Glory to goodness, this is where the EDC truly shines, in my opinion. Fit is one of the easiest to obtain, as the housing is the right size for most ears, and using different supplied tips should be enough to fit without issue. Add in the very comfortable memory wire overmolding, and you have a recipe for a true, hassle-free fit and feel.

Isolation

This ties into fit, for me, because if the fit of an earphone is good, then isolation should be good as well. In this case, isolation doesn’t disappoint. For those that have read my reviews in the past, you know that I usually only use silicone eartips. Using the supplied silicone tips are enough for me to obtain a satisfying, isolated feel. If you use foam tips, expect there to be even more isolation from the outside world, if that’s what you are attempting to obtain.

Eyeglass and sunglass wearers

Even though the EDC is not a hang-straight-down earphone, the utter thinness of the EDC’s memory wire overmolding shouldn’t hinder eyeglass and sunglass wearers very much, if at all.

Working out

I wanted to see how working out with the EDC would turn out, so I ran from the beach to my Jazzercise class (about a mile distance) with the QP1R in tow, and the EDC passed with flying colors. I didn’t have the housing move, and the increase of the bass really helped drown out the outside world, and gave me motivation to run that much faster on the way to Jazzercise. It kind of helped that there was a lady directly to the left of me running on a snazzy woodchip path - I had to at least keep up with her!

To EDC or to not EDC?

EDC. This is very important. Why is this so important to me? We can only take and carry around so many things with us day-to-day, and you only take the most important items with you. With regards to bringing earphones with you day to day, sound quality is important, but in my opinion, not the most important thing when it comes to being out and about. If that was the case, we would be lugging around huge speakers attached to a generator! Okay...that isn’t very practical to say the least. We could also bring really expensive earphones that sound great attached to an amplifier. Sometimes that’s not very practical as well, not only for the footprint the attached amplifier has, but because these components can get lost, or unfortunately, stolen. Enter the Massdrop x NuForce EDC. Is the EDC the most resolving signature out there? No but for the price-point, the signature is not too shabby! However, the EDC sounds good enough to keep with you each day, and it won’t break the bank if something were to happen to the EDC. What I usually use day to day are not the most expensive in-ears - I’ll use something that sounds good, but more importantly feels good. I won’t use something out and about if it doesn’t feel good. I usually use super comfortable customs; some may not even sound that great, but they feel really good, so those are what I use when out and about. Same case with the EDC, here. It feels very nice to the ears, and are easy to slip on and off when needing to insert them on and off when out and about. The EDC is very good enough to become an EDC, in my opinion.

Disclaimer and hearing factors

The Massdrop x NuForce EDC sound impressions are mainly for anyone wanting a point of reference regarding how they more or less pair with the iPhone 6, QP1R and Surface Book. Other sources may vary slightly or greatly, as the EDC sounds different enough with these three sources to warrant mentioning. The EDC will have a warmer, less resolute and pronounced effect in the overall frequency spectrum when pairing with the iPhone 6. The EDC will have a detailed with slight treble and bass with extended detail when paired with the QP1R. The EDC will have a balanced, yet very slightly lean sounding approach to its presentation when paired with the Surface Book. For reference, the EDC is easy to drive, as a smartphone such as the iPhone does not take full volume for the EDC to emit levels that can damage hearing quickly. 10-11 out of 16 volume is when the EDC starts to sound very loud to my ears.

We all hear differently, and our experiences about how our interpretation of what we hear vary greatly. Some factors that come to mind (and not limited), are:

Your inner ear and skull’s overall composition: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...kull-affect-how-you-hear-music-654940/?no-ist.

Hearing loss as we age, also known as presbycusis: https://www.ohio.edu/news/months/nov1998/111.html,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbycusis.

Heredity, noise trauma, dietary habits, smoking, hypertension, atherosclerosis, are other factors that affect people’s overall hearing ability.

Analyze this and that

The test tracks that I use in my reviews are located in these albums (album alphabetical order)

1989 (Deluxe Edition) by Taylor Swift (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
21 by Adele (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
Bad (2001 Special Edition) by Michael Jackson (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
Bangerz by Miley Cyrus (MP3 320kbps/44.1kHz/16bit)
Beyoncé by Beyoncé (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick Lamar (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
Heart Blanche by Ceelo Green (MP3 320kbps/44.1kHz/16bit)
Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park (FLAC 48.0kHz/24bit)
Make Yourself by Incubus (MP3 320kbps/44.1kHz/16bit)
No. 5 Collaborations Project (EP) by Ed Sheeran (MP3 320kbps/44.1kHz/16bit)
One by One by Foo Fighters (FLAC 88.2kHz/24bit)
Random Access Memories by Daft Punk (FLAC 88.2kHz/24bit)
Schubert Berliner Philharmoniker by Nikolaus Harnoncourt (FLAC 48.0kHz/24bit)
Shades of Marmalade by Jackson Breit (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)
Thriller by Michael Jackson (DSD 2822.4kHz/1bit)
X (Wembley Edition) by Ed Sheeran (FLAC 44.1kHz/16bit)

Several standalone tracks (track alphabetical order)

Dock of the Bay by The Persuations A Cappella Dreams (WAV 44.1kHz/16bit)
M.O.R. by Blur – Blur 21, Blur (2012 Remaster – Special Edition) (MP3 320kbps 44.1kHz/16bit)
Schubert String Quartet No. 14 in D minor D. 810, Death and the Maiden: III. Scherzo. Allegro molto by Oslo String Quartet – The Schubert Connection (DSD 2822.4kHz/1bit)
Serenade (Spanish Dance), Op. 54, No. 2 by Jano Starker and David Popper – Wilson Audio Ultimate Reference (APE 44.1kHz/16bit)
The Peppery Man by Natalie Merchant – Leave Your Sleep (WAV 44.1kHz/16bit)
These Bones by The Fairfield Four – I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray (WAV 44.1kHz/16bit)

If I am listening to a product that is not able to be listened with the highest resolution tracks that I have mentioned, I will listen to the TIDAL versions (FLAC).

Sound impressions

The EDC is an earphone that has a rather warm, adequate sound signature. The sound is not very expansive, but has adequate depth. The treble is rolled off the top, and shouldn't be fatiguing to you in the least. The midrange is present, warm and adequately smooth, but is more apparent in the lower midrange as having any type of prominence, compared to the treble. The midbass is where you will more than likely hear most of the EDC’s signature, with a bit of sub and overall bass as well. With a good seal, and while you are out and about the EDC can sound satisfactorily good. When out and about, you may want the bass levels to be slightly elevated to help further drown out surrounding outside frequencies. I know that when I went for my run, it was great still being able to decipher the EDC’s bass rather well as my feet hit the pavement and outside noise surrounded me. Overall spatial capabilities aren't the EDC’s specialities, as imaging and soundstage aren't the most pinpoint or wide in perceived listening. What I do like though is the EDC's smoothness, and depth of sound in the lower midrange to subbass areas. The fantastic fit and comfort of the EDC for me makes obtaining a consistent, smooth sound very easy.

Earphone comparisons

The selected comparisons to the EDC, below, are with earphones that are around the price range of the EDC. If you’d like a comparison of an earphone that is not mentioned in the review or is not located in my profile, feel free to message me and send me anything you’d like that can then be added to the review. Without further ado…

1MORE EO323 Dual Driver

The EDC has a slightly more V-shaped presentation than the Dual Driver. The Dual Driver has more sub and midbass than the EDC, reaches lower and has more decay to each bass note as well. The midrange isn't too far apart, but the EDC gets the nod for the more detailed midrange, and the Dual driver gets the nod for the smoother, warmer midrange. The treble doesn't favor either very much, but the EDC will have slightly more sheen up top. Spatial capabilities are both quite constrained compared to others on this list like the E80 that's coming up in the comparisons section.

FiiO F5

The F5 has a more overall balanced signature than the EDC, but is still leaning towards a bass sloped signature. Both the F5 and EDC have a non-fatiguing treble, but the F5 emits just a bit higher/more to my ears comparatively. The midrange of the F5 is more of a reference sound compared to the warmer (but not necessarily smoother) midrange of the EDC. The bass of the F5 is more pinpoint than the EDC and the F5 is just as hard hitting, if not more than the lowest areas the EDC can go. Not only the sound is what will determine either (or both purchases), but packaged goodies as well. The EDC comes with a case, remote/mic cable, braided cable and the F5 comes with a hard case, a remote/mic cable and a 2.5mm Balanced Cable. Both IEMs are detachable, but the EDC uses the more venerable proprietary type of connectors which lead to the cables staying in place better, and the EDC is better fitting to my ears than the F5. I can wear the EDC for hours without pain, whereas the F5 can start to aggravate certain areas of my ear after listening for some time (at least).

Meze Headphones 11 Neo Gun Metal

There is more overall warmer and deeper sounding emphasis with the EDC, especially in the subbass areas compared to the Neo Gun Metal. The Neo Gun Metal’s midrange is slightly more recessed than the EDC, and the treble has a bit more sheen than the EDC’s. Spatial capabilities favor the Neo Gun Metal, as the increase in perceived treble and slightly looser overall fit assists in more perceived airiness and clarity. Both IEMs are comfortable, but the curved housing of the EDC favors the ears more comfortably than the curves of the Neo Gun Metal, which is also a very comfortable in-ear to wear as well. The Gun Metal cable is microphonic if I touch the cable while the IEM is in my ears, as opposed to the EDC, which doesn’t exhibit anywhere near the same amount microphonics.

Sennheiser CX 686G Sport

The CX 686G Sport has a more forward overall signature, with emphasis in the subbass and lower midrange, compared to the EDC. Bass is slightly tighter and more deliberate, compared to the EDC’s. The midrange of the CX 686G Sport is more forward, with a similar laid-back treble presentation as the EDC. Soundstage and imaging slightly favors the CX 686G Sport, and depth, warmth and smoothness favors the EDC. Both IEMs are very comfortable - the CX 686G Sport utilizes an adjustable ear hook that can be positioned higher if need be; the lowest position fits the best for me.

SHOZY Zero

The sound of the Zero is colder and has less oomph and emphasis in each area of the frequency spectrum except treble, compared to the EDC. Overall clarity of the Zero is less if you are factoring in smoothness, which the Zero’s signature can sound harsh in direct comparison to the EDC. The EDC is smoother, warmer and has better decay capabilities in the midrange and bass areas compared to the Zero. The Zero sounds more open and brighter - but at a tradeoff of less lower region panache, compared to the EDC. The Zero is comfortable, as the wooden housing is small enough to rest against the cavum of the ear. The wooden housing is soft as well - so even though it won’t be as ultimately comfortable as the soft plastic of the EDC, the Zero is still very comfortable, in my opinion.

SoundMAGIC E80 In-Ear Headphone

The E80 has overall more clarity, but doesn’t have the deep, smooth warmth of the EDC. The sound of the E80 is tighter and is more of a reference sound compared to the EDC. Treble of the E80 is plentiful but isn’t sibilant, midrange - primarily the upper midrange is more forward compared to the rest of its presentation and that of the EDC as well. Bass is taut, fast, but does not decay to the effect of the EDC. Imaging, detail and soundstage favor the E80 compared to the EDC. The E80 is reference and pinpoint detail compared to the smoothness warmth and sustained decay of the EDC. The E80 is another comfortable in-ear, as the small dynamic driver leads to a small cylindrical housing and rubberized end cable that rests well against the ear. Fit will still ultimately favor the EDC, mostly in workout situations when you are moving around and possibly sweating.

Cultivate a fresh sound™

What does this mean? Too often we focus on only the music we are accustomed to. I am usually this way as well. Here’s an opportunity to listen to something you either may not normally listen to, or haven’t heard of. As I publish reviews in the future, I will have new and older tracks from various genres that I’ve listened to in this section, and will be largely based on what songs really moved me in particular to the reviewed product I’ve listened to on it. Even though the tracks will be linked to YouTube videos or audio-only versions, the tracks will either be listened solely from the iPhone 6 and TIDAL HiFi - Lossless, or from my Microsoft Surface Book and TIDAL HiFi - Lossless. Instead of describing each track in immense detail, you can simply listen for yourself and bask in the beautiful music you may have just found for the first time right now! What’s also great is that you can come back here just to listen to the tracks mentioned! If you have any personal issues with any tracks posted, please PM me and I'll replace it with another track. It's all about positivity in our musical journey. With those kind words of encouragement, here we go…

Your Song by Rita Ora

That’s What I Like by Bruno Mars

The Future by San Holo (ft. James Vincent McMorrow)

I'm Still Standing (SING Movie Soundtrack) by Taron Egerton

Is the Massdrop x NuForce EMU worth it?

I would say so, yes. For a budget price, you get better than average sound with an overall excellent fit because of the curved, soft-to-the-touch inside housing and one of, if not the best implementations of memory wire that I’ve experienced.

Final thoughts

In the beginning of the review, you wanted to find out if I think you should carry it everyday with you, especially because of the EDC moniker? Sure, why not? The EDC is discrete, it’s got more than one type of cable based on your specific needs, sounds great - especially for working out, and...it feels uber comfortable for a universal in-ear!

Pocket yours, and stay smooth!

Specifications

Massdrop x NuForce
  • Driver unit: Single 6mm dynamic
  • Driver matching: +/- 2 dB
  • Housing material: Lexan Polycarbonate
  • Color: Smoky transparent blue/gray, matte black
  • Impedance: 16 ohms
  • Maximum input power: 2 mW
  • Microphone sensitivity: -42 dB +/- 5 dB
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–40 kHz
  • Sensitivity (at 1 kHz): 90.5 dB +/- 3 dB
  • Cable length: 54.3 in (138 mm)
  • Connector: 2-pin
  • Plug: ⅛ in (3.5 mm) TRS (braided cable) or TRRS (remote/mic cable)
  • Remote/mic cable compatibility: Apple and most Android devices
  • Remote/mic cable functionality: Play/pause; start/end call; next/previous song; start Siri, Google Assistant, or Cortana (functionality varies between Android devices)
  • Weight, IEMs with braided cable: 0.5 oz (15 g)
  • Weight, IEMs with remote/mic cable: 0.6 oz (16 g)
Included
  • 2 Cables (one braided, one with remote/mic)
  • 3 Sets of silicone ear tips (S, M, L)
  • 2 Sets of foam ear tips (M, L)
  • 1 Zippered carrying case
Shipping

All orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated ship date is Oct 12, 2017.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back