[REVIEW] Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Monitors
Apr 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Monitors - A Review[/size]

img8293.jpg

[size=small]Introduction:[/size]

Before I begin this review, I'd just like to thank the folks at Monster for their dedication and generosity in putting together the review program that gave me this opportunity. Do note that after the review program ends, the reviewer (or better known as me.
biggrin.gif
) does get the opportunity to keep the review unit. While I try to keep an unbiased tone in my reviews, I just wanted to put this disclaimer out there. For more information on this review program, please refer to here.

I have always been an IEM user from the very beginning. In fact, my first audiophile-worthy equipment were in-canal earphones. As I ventured deeper into the depths of high-fidelity audio and more specifically the full-size headphone "arena", I began to lose touch with the portable earphones world. I am happy to say that this new jewel from Monster has brought me back.

Head-Fi is known for, among other things, the overzealous hype surrounding new products, especially within the portable audio world, where new earphones seem to pop up everyday. Because of this, I was understandingly hesitant and cynical when Monster debuted its Turbine Pro line to overwhelmingly positive feedback. I am pleased to say, after trying these little devils out firsthand, that none of the applause was hype.

[size=small]Packaging, Accessories, and Build Quality:[/size]

Packaging-
The Monster Turbine Pro Copper IEMs (hereby denoted by MTPC) arrived in a plain brown box. I was immediately underwhelmed, thinking, "$400 earphones arriving in this?!" A second later, and I realized that I was staring at a FedEx shipping box.
tongue.gif

A minute into unboxing the earphones from the clean, minimalistic magnetic black box, and I was instantly hooked. Calling this luxury was an understatement. The MTPC's packaging was superb, to say the least.

Accessories-
Unlike some of the cheaper, if you will, earphones and headphones I have purchased over the years, the MTPC came with a multitude of accessories, including:
  1. A velvety "clasp" case
  2. A magnetic button case
  3. Bag of SuperTips
  4. Bag of gel-filled tips
  5. Bag of tri-flanges and foam tips
  6. Bag of generic silicon tips
  7. Anti-microphonic clothing clip
  8. Holster-style tip holder
  9. Antibacterial cleaning cloth
  10. Documents

img8272e.jpg

On the topic of accessories, the amazing array of tips the MTPC comes with really speaks to how much Monster cares about its customers. There has been a lot of interest on Head-Fi over the variety of tips Monster offers. At the pinnacle are the SuperTips. Called everything from the ultimate sleeves to "the best foam earphone tip on the market". Monster's SuperTips are hybrid foam tips encased by an external layer of soft, cushiony foam and sustained internally by a thick, sturdy silicon of tube. This combination resulted in excellent isolation and comfort, combined with minimal impact on the overall sound quality of the MTPC, a perfect aggregation that no other tip has reached. However, one caveat of the SuperTips is their relatively low durability compared to silicon tips. The silicon tube is easily separated from the exterior, and this might result in degradation in isolation and sound quality after a few months. In the end, nevertheless, SuperTips last far longer and sound better than foam tips, yet provide a more comfortable alternative to traditional silicon tips.

Build Quality-

img8288k.jpg

On to build quality! Even the best earphone is no good if it can't withstand the stress of our daily routines and activities, which is why the build quality of an IEM is so important. One of the first things I noticed after looking at the MTPC was its heftiness. The brass earphones looked and felt practically indestructible, especially compared to the flimsy OEM earphone shells many other audio companies are using. Well, to adequately test the build quality of the MTPC, I decided to take my pair along with me on a 1500+ mile road trip! Needless to say, the MTPC survived the exhibition in tip-top shape, while my stock iPod earbuds died along the way. One downside of the excellent brass design is weight. The MTPC felt heavier in my ears than other comparably sized earphones, but it did not bother me too much.

Monster's highly acclaimed cable management system is also included on the MTPC. A very well-built cable complete with a metal "L-jack" and "Y-split" added to the already glorious build quality of the MTPC. The included clothing clip also reduced microphonics to an almost non-existant level.

[size=small]Sound Quality:[/size]

Most of the attention surrounding the MTPC was centered around its unnaturally excellent sound quality. Of course, seeing as the MTPC retails at $400 and is marketed as a top-tier earphone, I was prepared to also be unnaturally critical. Yet, one minute into the first audition, and I was stunned. Blown away, even. The MTPC is unlike any earphone I have ever owned. More on that in a second.

Bass-
The MTPC is a bass-centric earphone. There's no way around that. And it's not a bad thing either. While its bass quantity falls short of the Sennheiser IE7/8's bass quantity, the MTPC makes it up in quality, producing some of the tightest, best-controlled bass I have ever heard on an earphone. The bass extends low enough for deep bass aficiandos, while staying strong and punchy enough to satisfy anyone from "bassheads" to lovers of lean, audiophilic bass. Impact is excellent, and bass detail retention is above par. There is a hint of muddiness, however, but I'm really just nitpicking now.

Mid-
Liquidy, natural, full, warm are just some of the words I'd use to describe the mids of the MTPC. Keeping in line with the overall balanced natural of the MTPC, the mids are no exception. They are slightly warm, yet still realistically detailed. They are full and weighty, yet still fast and agile. They are forward when needed, yet laid-back enough to not seem tiring. The mids of the MTPC are, in two words, almost perfect. A slight bit of mushiness combined with perhaps a little too much fullness prevents me from giving the MTPC's mids my utmost adoration. In the end, however, these are still some of the best mid frequencies I have heard on any earphone, barely falling short of the Shure SE530.

Treble-
Fans of treble will enjoy the MTPC's sparkle and smoothness in the upper frequencies. However, when compared to the other frequencies, I found the treble to be slightly lacking. In my opinion, there was a hint of recessiveness in the treble, especially in the upper-treble area. And while the MTPC can still be considered one of the most balanced earphones, it's bass-centricness does take just a nibble away from the treble. Compared to the Etymotic IEMs, the MTPC loses a bit on treble detail and aggresiveness. Overall, the MTPC's smooth and relaxing treble still won me over, giving me a much-needed break from the bright, hyper-aggresive upper frequencies of my Etymotic IEMs and my Grado and Ultrasone headphones.

Soundstage and Imaging-
Both two-dimensional and three-dimensional soundstaging was excellent on the MTPC, especially compared to the large majority of IEMs. Imaging was also very good, though it suffered a bit compared to my Etymotic IEMs due to the slight lack of detail in the treble region.

img8275j.jpg

Overall-
The key word to describing the MTPC's sound signature and quality is balance. Unlike just about any other earphone I have had the pleasure of listening to, the MTPC, though focused on bass, does not fall tremendously short in any one area. The magnificent soundstage and imaging with a wonderful musicality made listening to the MTPC was a very enjoyable experience.

[size=small]Summary:[/size]

Transducer: Dynamic
Cord Style: Y-cord
Mini Jack Style: {┏━} style, Heavy build.
Eartips Used: Monster SuperTips, Monster Gel Tips
Physical Properties:
┣ Packaging: ★★★★★
┣ Accessories: ★★★★★
┣ Build Quality: ★★★★☆
┣ Isolation: ★★★★
┣ Microphonics: ★★★★
┗ Comfort: ★★★★☆
Sound Quality:
┣ Treble: ★★★★☆
┣ Mid: ★★★★★
┣ Bass: ★★★★★
┣ Soundstage: █ ▆ ▄ ▂ ▄ ▆ █ - Great / Wide
┣ ABF: [Mid]
┗ Overall SQ: [4.85 / 5]
Overall Value: [5 / 5]

[size=small]Conclusion:[/size]
With a collection of accessories unlike any other, a tank-solid build quality, an extremely generous life-time warranty, great customer service and a stunningly good sound quality, the Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Monitors have set a new standard for earphones and headphones alike.

img8292.jpg

True that, Head Monster. True that.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 43
Very nice @ LeonWho!! Good review...

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 43
My only comment is...

Ah man when are the customs guys going to release my headpohones!! The wait is killing me LOL.

I almost bought a pair of JVC FXC80's today just to tide me over DOH! (figured I could be the first to give them a full review). If the store will price match NewEgg's price I still might unless these bad boys arrive tomorrow.

OH and very nice review too
wink.gif
, Very detailed and well written.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 43
Nice review and pics!

Just a quick question, does anyone happen to know if they are all shipping with this many accessories now? Or is this just a special review package? Also, I think you left the adapter out of your big list of accessories
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lc483 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review and pics!

Just a quick question, does anyone happen to know if they are all shipping with this many accessories now? Or is this just a special review package? Also, I think you left the adapter out of your big list of accessories
smily_headphones1.gif

The Coppers I got about a week ago (fully sealed FYI) did not have any white hybrid tips. I've had the Golds, Coppers and MD's....no tips to be found anywhere.

Another thing I have noticed that may relate to fit/comfort issues for some. I have seen 2 of the gel supertips to be somewhat defective. One definitely seemed to be lacking a bit of gel and would not rebound like the other tip. Another had a stiffer 'ring' around the channel that was more rigid than the other tip, thus more resistant to compression. So take a good look and see if your gel tips are completely symetrical if you are having fitment issues.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Coppers I got about a week ago (fully sealed FYI) did not have any white hybrid tips. I've had the Golds, Coppers and MD's....no tips to be found anywhere.

Another thing I have noticed that may relate to fit/comfort issues for some. I have seen 2 of the gel supertips to be somewhat defective. One definitely seemed to be lacking a bit of gel and would not rebound like the other tip. Another had a stiffer 'ring' around the channel that was more rigid than the other tip, thus more resistant to compression. So take a good look and see if your gel tips are completely symetrical if you are having fitment issues.

Try contacting soundmatters12 via pm.

So far, with a little persistance on my part, Monster has been very good on customer service.

The white foam-hybrid supertips are definitely worth trying.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try contacting soundmatters12 via pm.

So far, with a little persistance on my part, Monster has been very good on customer service.

The white foam-hybrid supertips are definitely worth trying.

Will do you crazy cat!
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 43
Great review! I love my coppers although I may have issues with the build quality of mine. I read somewhere else that someone had their right bud start splitting (the silver part of the housing from the copper). Mine feels like it is, a tiny clicking if I wobble it but it hasn't come apart yet. Should I send it in or wait till it completely falls apart? Living without my coppers for a while is gonna suck if I send it in now
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinxbailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review! I love my coppers although I may have issues with the build quality of mine. I read somewhere else that someone had their right bud start splitting (the silver part of the housing from the copper). Mine feels like it is, a tiny clicking if I wobble it but it hasn't come apart yet. Should I send it in or wait till it completely falls apart? Living without my coppers for a while is gonna suck if I send it in now
frown.gif

I have that very problem. There's a slight looseness between the two metal pieces. It doesn't actually feel like it would actually pull apart (not that I'm trying!). A pm to Soundmatters12 is resolving the matter for me perfectly (hint, hint).

If you wanted, you could call the monster number (it's in the user booklet) and have them start a case file for you. Then, listen as long as you like and if it's ever a real problem, you have the case number with them so they can see it was a manufacturing problem and you're set. I did that before soundmatters12 came along.

Don't glue them or anything, that messes with your warranty.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 43
maybe if you feel like they are gonna break down, send them. So you don't have to go through burn-in and stuff again

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 43
I only had a short listening session of the coppers but the notes I took definitely agreed with the majority of your findings.

Also their package sure is impressive with all the pack ins they come with and quite nice compared to some other products at the same price range.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have that very problem. There's a slight looseness between the two metal pieces. It doesn't actually feel like it would actually pull apart (not that I'm trying!). A pm to Soundmatters12 is resolving the matter for me perfectly (hint, hint).

If you wanted, you could call the monster number (it's in the user booklet) and have them start a case file for you. Then, listen as long as you like and if it's ever a real problem, you have the case number with them so they can see it was a manufacturing problem and you're set. I did that before soundmatters12 came along.

Don't glue them or anything, that messes with your warranty.

yea, I'll probably call them tomorrow and start a case file. That's a good call. For now I'll just listen to them until something happens cuz they still sound normal. We only have a one time replacement from what I understand right? I just didn't want to have to use it within the first month I recieved them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back