Review Tago Studio T3-01
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #92 of 124
and if there are any reviews of the "historic phone" version?
any updates on how the sound of the T3-01 is holding up against the competition in 2023? thanks
Asian review sites is your best bet. On youtube I use CaptionSpeaker extension on chrome browser.
I'm an Ichiro' s Malt Chichibu single malt fan/drinker so I could foresee a Historic in my future (regardless) 🥃 :o2smile:
IMG_6421.jpeg

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #93 of 124
To andred's question how TAGO T3-01 is holidng up these days, I think T3-01 was made to serve very specific purpose of monitoring with as neutral tonality as possible . Rather than making tons of profit on this, Takasaki himself created something he would think the best server his monitoring/mastering, which often times audiophile appreciate, too. Therefore, as it has held its unique position and value, I believe this will continue to do so. BTW, in my opinion, what people mentioned here are all true. Relatively small ear cushions, neutral sound, small sounstage, yet very accurate. Sub-bass is almost non-exist, but still very enjoyable with a lot of different genre. Personally, I recommend it to be your 2nd or 3rd gear. It is really good on where it excels, but can be very boring for where it falls behind.
P.s: apologize for my English, which is not my primary lanuage

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #94 of 124
To andred's question how TAGO T3-01 is holidng up these days, I think T3-01 was made to serve very specific purpose of monitoring with as neutral tonality as possible . Rather than making tons of profit on this, Takasaki himself created something he would think the best server his monitoring/mastering, which often times audiophile appreciate, too. Therefore, as it has held its unique position and value, I believe this will continue to do so. BTW, in my opinion, what people mentioned here are all true. Relatively small ear cushions, neutral sound, small sounstage, yet very accurate. Sub-bass is almost non-exist, but still very enjoyable with a lot of different genre. Personally, I recommend it to be your 2nd or 3rd gear. It is really good on where it excels, but can be very boring for where it falls behind.
P.s: apologize for my English, which is not my primary lanuage
My T3-03 should be here within a week and that is supposed to have more bass and as I have gathered so far, when using the T3-01 balanced cable should be very close to 01's sound but with more bass. Maybe a using the 03 pad on the 01 would give it the bass push it needed :thinking: Either way, I'm more about midrange frequency and not really a bass head.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #95 of 124
My T3-03 should be here within a week and that is supposed to have more bass and as I have gathered so far, when using the T3-01 balanced cable should be very close to 01's sound but with more bass. Maybe a using the 03 pad on the 01 would give it the bass push it needed :thinking: Either way, I'm more about midrange frequency and not really a bass head.
For my experience with balanced cable on T3-01, it didn't make siginficant improvement over 3.5mm. (If you do a-b test, you can notice the difference though) If your taste is focued on midrange, it will be great choice. However, remember its presentation is more intimite side. While it is very accurate on articulation of sounds and direction of where the sound is coming, the soundstage is quite narrow and somewhat cramped with some musics have many instruments.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #96 of 124
For my experience with balanced cable on T3-01, it didn't make siginficant improvement over 3.5mm. (If you do a-b test, you can notice the difference though) If your taste is focued on midrange, it will be great choice. However, remember its presentation is more intimite side. While it is very accurate on articulation of sounds and direction of where the sound is coming, the soundstage is quite narrow and somewhat cramped with some musics have many instruments.
I'm inclined to an intimate presentation with proper staging, not a fan of widened or unnaturally wide soundstage. Funny enough, the most wide soundstage phone I have is the AWKT which is a close back lol.
With regards to the cable, the T3-01 comes with good cables and the cheaper T3-03 comes with more of a generic cable. The T3-03 benefits sonically with better cable. That's just what I've gathered so far from researching about the 03.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #98 of 124
The T3-01 has been with me for around 2+ years and it is genuinely an unique sounding headphone, unlike the Grados that the T3-01's sound is not Grado-bright but with some kind of weight (vs thin sounding as in some mid-to-treble emphasised headphones) that makes it un-fatiguing to listen to for extended period of time. With a highly transparent, good resolving and very low noise floor headfi system, the music reproduction can be extremely rewarding particularly when it comes Jazz both vocal Jazz and instrument Jazz, and talking about instruments, the headphone reproduces acoustic guitar, violin and piano with realism and authenticity - a charm that attracts me to the headphone time and again till these days. There are loads of details, nuances heard but without losing the music coherence which I guess its due partly to its relatively more mid, treble and vocal forward. The sound stage is not like the Senn 800 for example but still reasonable as the clarity and imaging makes the sound separation clear enough. All in all, for me the T3-01 is a keep and hard to replace headphone.

P.S. the better the headfi system is the more rewarding the headphone is ..

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #99 of 124
Well, I have the TAGO coming my way. Planning to get them from e-earphone but did an Amazon search first to see if Japanese sellers has them. Guess what.. Amazon Jp storefront on Amazon US has some TAGO but only the newer T3-03. I love wood but this all black T3-03 looks badass with only the suspension band being silver/ss contrasts and complement the look really well. For $189 with 2 cables included ($20 cheaper than e-earphone with free shipping) it was a done deal and bought the TAGO 4.4mm balanced cable while I'm at it in case I'll snag the T3-01 too but only if the 03 sits well with me.

Key main difference between the 01 and 03 is that the 03 does not employ silk protein coating on the driver, diver is closer to the ear and the phone is mainly constructed from matte ABS. You can read more here https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/blog/detail/652

Interesting comparison from Fujiya-avic blog you shared!!
I'm looking for an HP with similar TG334 tuning and T3-03 looks it would be.... :)

"I think what I'm curious about is the difference from the 01, but the T3-03 is impressive with its edgy, hard mid-low range and crisp localization .

Like the 01, the vocals have a solid feel as if they are floating in front of your eyes, but perhaps this is due to the fact that the ear pads are thinner than in the 01, and the drivers are closer to the ears. It feels like you can hear it.

As Mr. Tago said in a previous interview, T3-03 has inherited his desire to ``I want songs to feel central and close to me, and I want to cry when I hear them.'' think.

If anything, the 01 sounds from a bird's-eye view of the overall sound, while the T3-03 mainly plays vocals and focuses on the listener, so it feels like the sound creation places more emphasis on listening than monitoring. I did."

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #100 of 124
@ThEvil0nE did you receive your T3-03? could be ok with daps?

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #101 of 124
@ThEvil0nE did you receive your T3-03? could be ok with daps?
The T3-03 was shipped Nov 25 and looking like via "slow boat" ECMS/EMS from Japan :joy: with a supposed to be ETD of 12/11. The cable shipped 2 days ago but via DHL express and should be here on the 12/3.

T3-03 70Ω / 102dB/mW

There's a 3 part interview on how the 03 became to be and in relation to the 01

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #103 of 124
T3-03 came in today. Initial impressions as far as build..
This is a good looking phone. Tho constructed mainly of ABS plastic, it is rather high quality. Feel is solid and absolutely ZERO creaking!
IMG_6582.jpeg

I now have seen the thinnest pads in use for a current designed phone. T3-03 is giving a classic vibe, like it’s a time traveled phone.
IMG_6558.jpeg

They are very light indeed and is dwarfed by the T50-RP in size 😄
IMG_6585.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #104 of 124
Wow it looks wonderful!!!
Can't wait to read your impressions about sound and some comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back