[REVIEW] The Ultraportable Aiaiai Tracks: Basseus Maximus
Sep 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wilzc

1000+ Head-Fier

Theres not a lot of coverage on these so I’ll give them some lovin’
These are the Aiaiai’s model of ultraportable headphones, on the same category as the Koss Porta Pro, Sennheiser PX series, C-Jays, V-Jays, AKG 400 series, Ultrasone Zino and what not.

These ultraportables often offer zero isolation (except for drowning external noise with music volume) and are extremely lightweight, anything smaller and they’ll have to go into your ears (with the exception of clip ons of course). Same rule applies for the closed back Tracks. They hardly isolate anything from the outside but the closed back design help lower sound leak from them to the outside world although at loud volumes they will leak plenty. The lack of isolation would prove great for being out and about on foot, or even driving as it does not reduce situational awareness by much, but not so on noisy public transport or planes where it’s safe to be fully immersed in your music.

Moving on to the design of these guys, very simplistic and oldschool walkman-ish. A simple brushed steel band with slits in the middle to accommodate a slider that the driver housings are attached onto. Closed back design with foam pads and a wonderful selection of colours although us fashion savvy at these forums would normally go for black, or cream white as I have.  The newer models of Tracks all come with iphone mic and controls (3 button) but the old one that I have are mic/controless. The headband is light and the cushions are adequate. They’re EXTREMELY comfortable. The build, sturdy and simple as they are, have flaws. The brushed steel headband transmit a lot of noise down to your eardrums from brushing and rubbing of your hair and hand on the headband. The headband also somehow causes A LOT of wind noise. As comfortable as they are, they’ve only got moderate staying power on your head/ears. Headbangers will have problems. As would runners, wind + falling off headphone = no.

Soundwise is where the Tracks absolutely triumph IMHO. Especially for the non-audiophile crowd, or someone who wants to complement their proper and neutral sounding gear with something more…   wild and sexy. Why? Because these guys are the last word in neutrality or accuracy. The treble is great but does not extend too high. There is a lower treble/upper mid boost that they have to heighten the sense of ‘clarity and detail’ which for most parts work, crisply so. The mids are present, but not as boisterous as the bass. The bass, dear lord, the bass. Even compared side by side with the massive Sony MDR (Xtra Bass)  XB700 their bass is prominent!! The MDR700s bass are slightly more controlled and refined, and they always seem as if they could deliver some mad bass but are holding back slightly. The Tracks however, are going all out in delivering bass thumps in reckless abandon. They’re like subwoofers tied onto your head. Portable subwoofers. MmmmmmmMMMmm. Bass does seem muddy from time to time, but they’re not flabby and too loose. The overall signature is visceral and fun, without sacrificing too much detail loss from top to bottom. Some headphones have overpowering bass that bullies and overcrowds the rest of the spectrum. Tracks seem to have the rest of its spectrum based over the bass, and not around it. IMHO, they absolutely trash the Sennheiser PX 100/200 and are about just on par (in fact similar sounding) to the Porta Pros. The AKG 420’s are another favourite of mine that offer a slightly more neutral and balanced sound signature. Never tried the Jays or Ultrasone. I would then go on to say that the Tracks sound like a more polished and refined version of the Monster Beats Solo.

The other surprising thing about the tracks is its staging. Being closed-back as they are, they do present a very well and airy stage, front to back, side to side and even top to bottom. Tracks are one of the few cans that ALWAYS freak me out when walking about. I keep hearing things happening around the corners of streets, or behind me that are actually part of the music that I’m playing with my gear. Sometimes shopping/walking around at warehouses, I would feel as if a live band was playing just around the other aisle, but no..  The Killers wont be playing at Bunnings Warehouse, never!!

All in all, Aiaiai created a superb product for the masses in the Tracks, and captured the essence of portability. Thoroughly enjoy their company especially for light walks around gardens, long drives, Zoo trips, hiking and even..  SNOWBOARDING!!

Aiaiai Tracks have been increasingly popular since the time of my purchase and can be had for about 80-90bux at most audio-related dealers around Australia/worldwide like headphones.com.au and whatnot. In fact, at the Melbourne ACMI centre (Australian Centre for the Moving Image), I was suprised to find the Aiaiai Tracks offered in their souvenir shop!  Otherwise, visit their Danish based website to purchase online directly!

Also, places like www.Noisymotel.com offer old models/stock for a wonderfully reduced price.

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 19
The ball-joint between the drivers and the headband will come off, but they're meant to come off. The headphones are intended to be disassembled and kept in the pouch it came with. I find that too troublesome. They just sit on my neck :p

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Would you still classify the Tracks as having subwoofer-like bass? I've seen it described as having good bass but not that strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back