Review: Ultrasone Edition 10 “The Butterfly” Limited Edition
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
Thanks, John.  Obviously Craig has a lot more equipment to play with than I do.  As far as this particular batch of Edition 10s are concerned, Ultrasone definitely has to fix whatever's holding them back to achieve their rated potential in stock form.  Recabling should be strictly an optional upgrade, not as a means to "correct" a factory defect, especially not on a multi $K flagship product.

Very well put.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 28
Great review! I love the pictures, as usual. Very interesting, even as I think I will never spend so much on a headphone for a very long time. Keep up with the descriptions of music, as that is what the systems are for. Any headphone that you review has some fierce competition, as seen in the Qualia just sitting innocuously on the sources or amps and right next to ED10. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
Great review! I love the pictures, as usual. Very interesting, even as I think I will never spend so much on a headphone for a very long time. Keep up with the descriptions of music, as that is what the systems are for. Any headphone that you review has some fierce competition, as seen in the Qualia just sitting innocuously on the sources or amps and right next to ED10. 

I'm spending serious money at Elusive Disc on a monthly basis.  Some of these great remasters MOFI and other publishers come out now are simply out of this world.

The Qualia, as well as my R10s are two favorites or mine.  I believe the Ed10s--once the existing flaw is corrected--may have the potential to be elevated to a similar statue, although its SQ doesn't resemble any of the previous two.   TIme will tell whether it will happen.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 28
nice write up, as usual Laz. what's the amp at the far right, a thunderbolt for your omegas?

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 28
Very enjoyable review.  I agree about re-cabling, and felt with the ED-9s and then ED-8s that, for their price they should have had better cabling as well, as the former had similar issues.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
nice write up, as usual Laz. what's the amp at the far right, a thunderbolt for your omegas?

Thanks.  Yes, that's my souped up A-10. It was Ray's demo unit up until Can Fest in August, when I decided to ease his load and generously offered to take it off his hands.  I love this amp.  I just have one Omega, though, the 2nd 'stat' is my HE60.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #22 of 28
Very nice write-up. I really enjoyed reading it.

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.  It'll be updated once my pair has been serviced with new impressions, now that it's been fully burned in as well, in excess of 500 hours.

don't they need north of 1500 hours, or 2 years, which ever comes last, to be fully burned in?! 
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #25 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.  It'll be updated once my pair has been serviced with new impressions, now that it's been fully burned in as well, in excess of 500 hours.

don't they need north of 1500 hours, or 2 years, which ever comes last, to be fully burned in?! 
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Who knows, you may be right, Dave.  But in my case, it's not just the drivers, but the TWag cable as well.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #26 of 28
When Whiplash does the recable, do they open up the whole thing and change the connectors at the end of  the headphone (not the plug) as well ? Or do they just cut from the end of the connector and recable from there?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
When Whiplash does the recable, do they open up the whole thing and change the connectors at the end of  the headphone (not the plug) as well ? Or do they just cut from the end of the connector and recable from there?

No, it's a full custom job.  Craig takes the whole thing apart and puts it back together.  That's why it takes so long to do it. Whiplash is an authorized Ultrasone Dealer, so the warranty remains intact.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #28 of 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Back