Review: VSonic GR01 - A Gentleman's TWFK
Mar 29, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

ljokerl

Portables Reviewerus Prolificus
VSonic joined the upper-tier potable audio market a bit over a year ago with the introduction of the GR07 dynamic-driver monitor. The GR07 made quite a splash, quickly becoming one of the most commonly recommended earphones and maintaining its popularity to this day. My personal opinion of the GR07 was quite positive from the outset and it remains my dynamic-driver benchmark for entry into the top-tier club.

This year, VSonic is expanding into other market segments with the introduction of several new models. The GR01 is the first of the 2012 models to reach my ears and the subject of this review. It utilizes the popular Knowles TWFK transducer – a tiny dual-armature system used by everyone from Audio-Technica to Ultimate Ears. The GR01 is not your typical TWFK-based dual-BA earphone, however - the engineers at VSonic have put their own special touch on the design and sound. I was lucky to get a chance to compare the GR01 to four other earphones all using the same TWFK driver to see how special it really is.

Packaging & Accessories

Outer box

Tips & pouch

The GR01 ships in VSonic’s simplified new packaging – a clear plastic outer box with cardboard and foam inserts displaying the earphones and obscuring the accessories. The accessory pack consists of 15 pairs of eartips and a padded spring-clasp carrying pouch. The tip set includes seven pairs of Sony Hybrid-style tips, all in different sizes, as well as 3 pairs of foam-stuffed Hybrid tips and 5 pairs of standard silicone tips, including a bi-flange. The soft carrying pouch is very well-made, probably the best I’ve come across, but I would still have preferred a clamshell carrying case like the one included with the 1st-gen GR07.

Design & Build Quality

Close-up, filter removed

Close-up w/plug

The design of the GR01 is very unassuming and the form factor is of the slim, straight barrel variety, albeit with fatter-than-usual 4mm nozzles. The metal housings are very small and remind me of the Klipsch Image X10. A rubber strain relief is present at the rear and the outer part of the nozzle, along with the metal mesh filter, can be unscrewed and removed for cleaning (Note: the nozzle may need to be tightened occasionally as it tends to come loose with use). Cabling, though thinner than what’s used on my 1st-gen GR07, is smooth and reasonably tangle-resistant. The 3.5mm L-plug is very well-relieved but the cord lacks a sliding cinch. A bump on the inside of the right strain relief makes the difficult to see L/R markings a non-issue.

Fit & Comfort

Close-up of earpieces

The housings are very slim and easy to insert deeply for a good seal. The sheer variety of included eartips should allow the fit to work for anyone, though earphones with slimmer nozzles such as the q-JAYS might allow for more fitment options still. The cable exits at an angle but the GR01 can still be worn both cable-up and cable-down.

Isolation & Microphonics

The GR01 is a fully sealed BA-based monitor and isolates very well – not quite as much as an Etymotic Research HF5 or ER4 but on-par with ergo-fit monitors such as the Westone 2. Cable noise is bothersome when worn cable-down but becomes low with over-the-ear wear. The inclusion of a sliding cable cinch or at least a shirt clip would have helped in this regard.

Sound Quality

Left->Right: Audio-Technica CK10, Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII, Brainwavz B2 (aka DBA-02 mkI), VSonic GR07

Specifications

Driver configuration: Dual Balanced Armature
Input sensitivity: 108 dB @ 1mw
Frequency response: 5 to 20,000 Hz
Impedance: 32 Ω
Cord Length: 4.3 ft (1.3 m) L-plug

Note: Most of my listening was done using a Cowon J3 or an iBasso D10 DAC fed by an optical signal, and my FLAC audio library.

For reference, reviews of almost all of the other earphones I have heard can be found in my multi-IEM review thread here.

With the sound of VSonic’s dynamic-driver GR07 model so widely praised for its accuracy and balance, it should come as no surprise that the tuning of the armature-based GR01 had to be kept fairly similar in order for the new earphone to remain a proper monitor. Though the GR01 is based around the popular Knowles TWFK dual-armature driver – the same one used by the Audio-Technica CK10, Ultimate Ears 700, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and a number of other models – the engineers at VSonic have still added their own unique touch to the sound, making the GR01 the smoothest and most musical of the TWFK-based sets I’ve heard.

Though it doesn’t quite have the bass depth of the ATH-CK10, the GR01 is only missing a bit of extension in the lowest octave. The GR07, which has solid deep bass as a good dynamic-driver monitor should, easily trumps the GR01 here. The GR07 also has better impact and fuller, thicker notes. The GR01, on the other hand, is quicker and less impactful than the GR07 but still has slightly more drawn-out decay times compared to some of its more analytical competitors. In terms of punch, it is just behind the DBA-02 mkII and about on-par with a well-amped Etymotic ER-4S, but the real treat is the accuracy. Compared to the MA-based Final Audio FI-BA-A1, for example, the bass of the GR01 is significantly tighter, cleaner, and more accurate, and the same can be said - though not to the same degree - when it is matched against the GR07.

The lower midrange of the GR01 is a little more laid-back than is typical for a TWFK-based set, resulting in a safer, smoother sound. It is even slightly warmer than a UE700 or DBA-02, though the bassier GR07 is a warmer still. The natural clarity of the armatures is very good, though the smoother GR01 lacks a bit of the absolute transparency of the DBA-02 and Ety ER4S. Detail, similarly, is on-par with the CK10 and DBA-02 without being presented quite so aggressively.

At the top, the GR01 is surprisingly smooth and non-fatiguing, perhaps the most inoffensive of the TWFK-based dual-drivers. It is significantly less bright than the UE700 and lacks the hot treble of the CK10. It is also less prone to sibilance than the GR07, displaying a seemingly smoother response where the GR07’s treble peaks fall. The tone is kept fairly neutral and timbre is among the best I’ve heard from an analytical armature-based earphone. The downside is that there isn’t quite as much energy to the sound compared to the CK10 or DBA-02, resulting in a signature that may be too ‘safe’ for fans of analytical earphones but still to neutral and accurate to appeal to the masses.

The presentation of the GR01 is nice and spacious, yet very cohesive. Though it doesn’t quite have the soundstage width of the GR07, the GR01 is more well-rounded, with decent depth and a better on-center feel. There is still slightly more width to the stage compared to the DBA-02 and the GR01 is clearly more spacious and airy than the Final Audio FI-BA-A1. Separation is good as well, though imaging lags behind the CK10 a bit, partly due to the more elongated shape of the soundstage. Overall, the presentation is solid and reminds me of the Etymotic ER-4S, but those looking for an enveloping sound a-la Earsonics won't find it here.

Value & Conclusion (MSRP: est. $206)

Though the VSonic GR01 strays little from the dual-armature monitor formula, it is undoubtedly one of the more competent such earphones I’ve heard. For an IEM built around the TWFK driver, the GR01 is neither overly bright nor fatiguing, managing almost all of the resolution of the more analytical Fischer Audio DBA-02 with a more laid-back signature. The GR01 comes across restrained, yet refined – a great monitoring earphone and a solid alternative to the GR07 for those who would rather do without the bass and treble emphasis. The GR01 has more going for it than just the sound, too – its slim form factor is very comfortable and user-friendly and the design shows good attention to detail aside from a few minor quirks. Construction is solid and there are enough tips included to accessorize several earphones comfortably. For those in search of a direct GR07 upgrade, this isn't it, but the GR01 won't have any trouble finding fans regardless.

The GR01 can be purchased from lendmeurears, an authorized VSonic reseller.

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 66
I am really contemplating on getting either this or the GR07... this comparison and review should help alot, thx Joker, a useful and detailed review, as always

If I may ask ,On the multi-IEM review thread, what score will you give the GR01? Which do you personally prefer? GR07 or GR01?

Also,I read in the Chinese forums that GR01 is a little bit hard to drive?

Lastly, I wanted to ask you, what's the difference between detail and transparency?

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 66
Great review, Joker! (this is basically the opening line for everyone who replies to this thread)

The GR01 seems very promising; I do believe, however, that VSONIC missed an opportunity to one-up its competition by not adding exchangeable acoustic tuning filters to that front removable grille element. That would've made it something like the PFE232!

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 66

Quote:
I am really contemplating on getting either this or the GR07... this comparison and review should help alot, thx Joker, a useful and detailed review, as always

If I may ask ,On the multi-IEM review thread, what score will you give the GR01? Which do you personally prefer? GR07 or GR01?

Also,I read in the Chinese forums that GR01 is a little bit hard to drive?

Lastly, I wanted to ask you, what's the difference between detail and transparency?

Thanks!

I don't really know which one I prefer - the GR01 should suit my preferences better but the GR07 is more unique and makes a lot of mid-tier dynamics sound bad, which is why I like it. Sort of a gatekeeper for top-tier performance
biggrin.gif
. Technically I think the GR01 is a little more impressive so it should come out a tenth above the GR07.  I didn't notice that it improved with a more powerful amp compared to the one in my D10. It scales better than most TWFKs but then things like the DBA-02 and UE700 are just very efficient.

Oh and transparency is more closely related to clarity than detail IMO. It's the characteristic of not coloring the sound and letting the entire audio chain melt away, which includes not introducing any grain or, conversely, smoothing things out too much.

Quote:
Awesome review!  These are a little expensive though...any word on the final score you're gonna give these?

Thanks! They fall very close to if not right on top of the DBA-02 mkII, which undervalues them a little IMO as they are only let down by little things. I've played around with the numbers and a few minor changes such as tighter threading on the filters (to stop them coming loose) and the inclusion of a hard case, shirt clip, and cable cinch can put them in the top 10. 

Quote:
Great review, Joker! (this is basically the opening line for everyone who replies to this thread)

The GR01 seems very promising; I do believe, however, that VSONIC missed an opportunity to one-up its competition by not adding exchangeable acoustic tuning filters to that front removable grille element. That would've made it something like the PFE232!

Thank you. Yes, interchangeable tuning ports would have helped differentiate the GR01 a little better from the other analytical BA-based IEMs at and near its price point (of which there is quite a few). On the other hand I'd rather have one good tuning than several average ones. Oh and there is still room for end-user modding - there is a thin piece of filter material behind the metal grille which could be removed or replaced by something else.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 66
Wow, those are really tiny! From other pictures I expected them to be a bit long, but side-by-side with the others, you can see how slim the housings are. Any word on when you'll get a GR08? 
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 66

Quote:
have you tried these with triple flanges?

Yes, the small ones that came with my MEElec M6 (Shure/Ety/Westone ones won't fit). They worked fine but I ended up preferring bi-flanges with a slightly shallower fit.

Quote:
Wow, those are really tiny! From other pictures I expected them to be a bit long, but side-by-side with the others, you can see how slim the housings are. Any word on when you'll get a GR08? 
tongue.gif

With the right tips they don't stick out any more than a Klipsch X10 or Ety HF5 but with those wider nozzles and the way the tips fit they were obviously designed for slightly shallower insertion. I don't know any more about the GR08 than you do 
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 66

Quote:

Great review, Joker! 
biggrin.gif

I'm guessing I'm less tolerant to sibilance as I actually find my GR01s more prone to sibilance than my well-burnt-in GR07s. I don't know if you have noticed this too, but straight out of the box, the treble was very prominent with quite a large amount of sibilance. I have around 100 hours on my GR01 now and I do notice that sibilance isn't really a big issue anymore, as it only becomes noticeable in tracks which are already sibilant. The reason why I'm unsure because I've read multiple times that BAs don't need burn-in, yet I'm experiencing something similar to burning in my GR07s where they became less sibilant the more hours I put through them. If BAs really don't need any burn-in, I guess my brain has just gotten used to it. (And even saying that I'm still unsure, as on some tracks, the 's' sounds were all too sharp before, yet now I can clearly hear the 's' properly without it being sharp.)
But enough of that, and like you, I do think that the GR01s have the edge over the GR07s, but I still prefer my GR07s overall for musical enjoyment. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back