Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Jul 27, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #47 of 812
Anybody added upgraded, or different cables to their ZMF phones, noticed a add for a cable from New Zealand on ebay.com? Looks like it might be something to consider, or is it all just placebo effect!!!...Search under 'Fostex T50RP Custom Upgrade Audio Cable' on the bay to check it out (like the colour scheme of black and blue).

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #48 of 812
Quote:
Anybody added upgraded, or different cables to their ZMF phones, noticed a add for a cable from New Zealand on ebay.com? Looks like it might be something to consider, or is it all just placebo effect!!!...Search under 'Fostex T50RP Custom Upgrade Audio Cable' on the bay to check it out (like the colour scheme of black and blue).

I just recently sent my self modded T50RP's with a upgraded input jack and cable to Zach for evaluation. He sent me a set of his bass version as a loaner while the evaluation proceeds. I must say his SQ mods to the T50RP's are spectacular. The transit response, separation of instruments and vocals, and smooth frequency response of the ZMF are to my ears perfect. Keep in mind, the input jack as well as the cable are the 2 things holding back the performance on this unit. satwilson

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #49 of 812
I'll be sending in a hard wired version so I'll be able to compare.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #50 of 812
Quote:
I'll be sending in a hard wired version so I'll be able to compare.

I will hardwire once I have decided which cable I prefer. For now my upgraded jack that allows high quality plugs and the ability to swap cables is helpful to me. I have 1 cable with Mogami quad, 4x24ga, and another silver plated OF copper twisted pair teflon mil/spec wire, 2x20ga. Still deciding what I like but firmly believe larger gauge wire sounds better and enables these current hungry phones to perform better than the wimpy stock cable and signal dropouts with stock jack and plug.

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #51 of 812
Some questions for those experienced in the T50RP mods:

It seems to me that for $200 dollars it's possible to buy drivers on a similar level as the HE-500 and HD650's.

Considering that those two cans could reasonably considered end-game contenders, even for people with a large amount of disposable income, and certainly for those who cannot afford to spend over $600 on cans, is it not reasonable to say that the ZMF is an end-game can for $200?

The reality for most of us interested in hi-fi sound is that it is simply not reasonable to spend over a thousand dollars on headphones when we have to pay bills, put dinner on the table and engage in other life activities like vacations and savings accounts.

At $200 for drivers, a complete end-game system comes within very close reach for those of us on a budget.

So my question is: I want to spend $500 on my system (with laptop as source, as it is with most people). $200 goes to the ZMF cans and they are relatively excellent. How do I spend the last $300 on an amp and a dac to get a 'good enough' enf game system? O2/ODAC? Bottlehead Crack? What DAC to pair with the Crack? Project Sunrise?
Give the amp and DAC budget an extra $100 of flexibility at most, what is the way to go to achieve an end-game setup for the reasonable person using these cans as drivers?

Thanks.

Jul 28, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #52 of 812
I'm a family man and in the same situation as Modulus, can't go above $500 - $600 for phones and a portable amp (maybe also a dac) combined.
Phones I'd prefer to have new, portable amp can be second-hand if I find one for a good price (more bang for my buck than purchasing a new one) and in good shape!

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #53 of 812
For the posters above, I think you should look at http://www.head-fi.org/t/666284/mrspeakers-mad-dog-impressions-and-discussion-thread for DAC/amp suggestions.

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #54 of 812
I honestly wouldn't say they're end game. I still have to have my SA5000 to compliment them for classical, jazz, and electronic music. ...and I have some Stax coming in next week.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #55 of 812
I would go with the Fiio E9K & E17K. I have this setup at work and it is great. It pairs well with the Fostex and has a USB input. I like the E17K because you get better input options than the E7K (Coax & Optical on the E17K). When on the go I can just remove the E17K from the E7K cradle and take it with me. You should be able to find these both for a combined price of around $250 or less. Headphonia review below:

http://www.headfonia.com/e7e9-reloaded-andes-and-qogir/

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #56 of 812
Also, I'd go with a warmish amp for these. I love them with my SA-31, but they sound pretty bad out of my Minimax (which is why I'm selling it). 

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #57 of 812
Is a JDS C5 a good option, or too bright, or too neutral a amp?

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #58 of 812
This amp is powerful enough to drive the ZMF with ease: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockn-Glass-Class-headphone-amplifier-Tube-MOSFET-hybrid-zero-feedback-/251291570183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a82251007 .
It's based on this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/402067/a-super-simple-6dj8-headphone-amp .

The seller is also a Headfi-er.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #59 of 812
I am looking more for a portable amp when out and about to piggyback on to my Sony Xperia (Walkman) phone...

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #60 of 812
I have an Audio GD NFB-12 DAC/AMP powering mine. The Wolfson dual WM8741 DAC's and classA amp section together provide a warm, lush, sound with lots of tight controlled bass. This unit is no longer available, but has been upgraded to the NFB-15.32, same DACS/amp. It has many input/output options and also allows the user to choose the frequency and bit rate of the DAC. Price is $235 plus shipping. The other option if you prefer a Sabre ES 9018 DAC, is the NFB-11.32. Same warm classA amp, lots pf flexibility. Price $299 plus shipping. Many people believe these are two of the best chips available for DACs. The build quality of these units is outstanding, and for the price, nothing comes close in my opinion. Audio GD is a HeadFi sponser, and reviews of his products are here on the forum. The link to Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs as mentioned above is a great resource for you, and the Audio GD products are mentioned there also. The FiiO products mentioned are a good choice if you need portability, however don't come anywhere close to the sound quality of the AGD products in a desktop setup. satwilson
Quote:
Some questions for those experienced in the T50RP mods:

It seems to me that for $200 dollars it's possible to buy drivers on a similar level as the HE-500 and HD650's.

Considering that those two cans could reasonably considered end-game contenders, even for people with a large amount of disposable income, and certainly for those who cannot afford to spend over $600 on cans, is it not reasonable to say that the ZMF is an end-game can for $200?

The reality for most of us interested in hi-fi sound is that it is simply not reasonable to spend over a thousand dollars on headphones when we have to pay bills, put dinner on the table and engage in other life activities like vacations and savings accounts.

At $200 for drivers, a complete end-game system comes within very close reach for those of us on a budget.

So my question is: I want to spend $500 on my system (with laptop as source, as it is with most people). $200 goes to the ZMF cans and they are relatively excellent. How do I spend the last $300 on an amp and a dac to get a 'good enough' enf game system? O2/ODAC? Bottlehead Crack? What DAC to pair with the Crack? Project Sunrise?
Give the amp and DAC budget an extra $100 of flexibility at most, what is the way to go to achieve an end-game setup for the reasonable person using these cans as drivers?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back