Review: ZMF Modified Fostex T50RP. Superb!
Aug 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #137 of 812
Quote:
Any cable recommendations? V-moda? Satwilson I saw you had a thing or two to say about cables in another thread, I think in regards to T50's. Should I get something custom made? I don't want to spend more than $30. Perhaps $31 at most.

I assume you ordered yours with the jack upgrade? I have done a lot of playing around with cables after the jack upgrade and have given Zach my suggestions. My journey with the jack/cable upgrade started with a visual evaluation of the stock cable wires. My plan was to cut the 1/4" plug off, check out the wires, and replace the plug. The wire in the stock cable is so tiny, replacing the plug was hardly possible, and it was obvious larger gauge wire would make a great upgrade for these current hungry phones. As regards the V-Moda cable, I am not sure. Although cable upgrades are a very subjective personal decision, my evaluation standard is the gauge of the wire as regards the Fostex. Short of cutting the V-Moda cable and seeing if the wire is better than the stock cable, I would have no way to know. As regards a custom made cable I would stick with the ones Zach will be making, some 1/8 plugs don't work as well as others with the jack upgrade. You will probably spend a little more than $31, but it will be totally worth it. Which DAC/ AMP did you go with? I didn't much care for the leather headband and will be getting the pilot pad. I did use a Senn HD280 pad on my personal pair for a while, and it was comfortable, however did not quite "fit" right. satwilson

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #138 of 812
@satwilson

My intuition, and very basic understanding of electrical conductivity, also tells me that a thicker gauge is the winning factor for the cable (that and the purity of the metal course). At the price point of the v-moda I don't think it would offer a major upgrade from the stock cable. 

Zach's cable is now available on the website, with mogami wires. He's asking $40, I don't know anything about cables so I can't say whether that is a good deal or not, but it's certainly not an outrageous sum. Judging by his other prices I'm sure he's not ripping anyone off. If he can add the cable to my headphone order so I don't have to pay for separate parcels (international, to Korea) then I'll probably order it. I did get the re-jack, but decided against the pilot pads to stay near budget (knowing I also need a cable).

Honestly from an aesthetic perspective I would have liked a braided clear plastic cable, I think those look great. 

As for amps, I've decided to spend the extra $75 and go with the NFB 11.32 with sabre chip. Reviewers seem to concur that that this model has greater detail retrieval than the 15.32 with the wolfson, and since I've come this far I might as well go for it. It's a hard $75 to spend though since I'm trying to win first prize in gaining maximum value for minimum budget. And quite honestly I'm pretty sure the two units sound very very similar.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #139 of 812
Quote:
@satwilson

My intuition, and very basic understanding of electrical conductivity, also tells me that a thicker gauge is the winning factor for the cable (that and the purity of the metal course). At the price point of the v-moda I don't think it would offer a major upgrade from the stock cable. 

Zach's cable is now available on the website, with mogami wires. He's asking $40, I don't know anything about cables so I can't say whether that is a good deal or not, but it's certainly not an outrageous sum. Judging by his other prices I'm sure he's not ripping anyone off. If he can add the cable to my headphone order so I don't have to pay for separate parcels (international, to Korea) then I'll probably order it. I did get the re-jack, but decided against the pilot pads to stay near budget (knowing I also need a cable).

Honestly from an aesthetic perspective I would have liked a braided clear plastic cable, I think those look great. 

As for amps, I've decided to spend the extra $75 and go with the NFB 11.32 with sabre chip. Reviewers seem to concur that that this model has greater detail retrieval than the 15.32 with the wolfson, and since I've come this far I might as well go for it. It's a hard $75 to spend though since I'm trying to win first prize in gaining maximum value for minimum budget. And quite honestly I'm pretty sure the two units sound very very similar.

The Mogami cable is a great choice, I have one and is a great upgrade from stock. When I bought my NFB the Sabre chip unit was not available, however like you I believe either one will be great. I do have a Sabre DAC ordered for my portable setup and am pretty excited to try it. You are about to become a very happy person, congrats. satwilson

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #140 of 812
Quote:
The Mogami cable is a great choice, I have one and is a great upgrade from stock. When I bought my NFB the Sabre chip unit was not available, however like you I believe either one will be great. I do have a Sabre DAC ordered for my portable setup and am pretty excited to try it. You are about to become a very happy person, congrats. satwilson

The NFB 11.32 is in the mail and the T50's with Mogami cable are waiting in the production queue :) I'm very excited.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #141 of 812
OT: congratulations on your marriage  Zach!

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #142 of 812
Quote:

beerchug.gif

+1

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #144 of 812
Quote:
" What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility."

Quote:

Thanks guys!  Ain't that the key to everything! 
smile.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Aug 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #147 of 812
Quote:
I don't know much about amps. What amp would be good with this and why?

That is too generalized of a question to answer.

What is your preference (tube, solid state)?  What is your source?  What is your budget?

There are hundreds of amps that have good synergy with the T50rp. My minimum requirement would be at least 1watt @50 ohms, but that is my take, I am sure others drive these straight out of a receiver or use a Magni/O2 and are happy with what they hear.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #148 of 812
Quote:
I don't know much about amps. What amp would be good with this and why?

If you start reading at page one of this thread, you'll find some suggestions.

And what Fearless1 says here above..

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #149 of 812
That is too generalized of a question to answer.

What is your preference (tube, solid state)?  What is your source?  What is your budget?

There are hundreds of amps that have good synergy with the T50rp. My minimum requirement would be at least 1watt @50 ohms, but that is my take, I am sure others drive these straight out of a receiver or use a Magni/O2 and are happy with what they hear.

fwiw, I think most good vintage amps would output at least 1 watt into 50ohms. I cant turn the dial past the 9 o'clock spot on my Pioneer SX750.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #150 of 812
Second the comment about vintage receivers.  My Kenwood Model Eleven III drives the ZMF Classics extremely well.  Also have never had the volume control beyond 9 o'clock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back