Rewiring of HD 555 - Help sollicitated
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bananabread

New Head-Fier
First post!

I am currently considering rewiring my old HD 555s for multiple reasons, including the cable failing once in a while (short, I guess) and the cable itself being 1 zillion meter long (3m). I thought if I'm going to change the cable, might as well do it properly.

I have no real past experience in HiFi audio, although I'm very exposed to pro audio things these days. I'm having difficulties finding the information I need to complete this operation, I guess I'm simply not knowledgeable enough or I'm not looking for the right things.

Here is my current plan based on what I've found so far here + on google:

Inside connector (inside the 'cups' I think?):
Will use "motherboard" connectors (because that's how the 555s are connected inside). Like in this thread.

Cable:
After browsing a few threads, there seems to be a few names that come back often. Seems that a generally good idea is to get some Mogami 2893 as described here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538453/making-cables-with-mogami-2893

Sleeve:
I finally figured it was called a sleeve. I have no idea what to get nor why.

Connectors:
I want to use a right-angle mini TRS (1/8"), or a not too big normal mini jack. I will carry this around everywhere.
Again, so many connectors.
I have settled on a Neutrik NTP3RC-B just because it looked nice and I had to settle on something.

I will also apply a copious about of heatshrink where needed.

I need help for finding where to buy these parts, as i live in Canada, sourcing these is a little harder (US stores not possible, ebay.ca almost always devoid of anything, etc.).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 3
http://www.partsconnexion.com/

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopDisplayCategories.asp?id=1&cat=DIY+Supplies

I've found these two Canadian retailers to be invaluable in my DIY adventures.  When possible, I try to buy from US sources, but these guys carry items I actually have a difficult time sourcing domestically.  

I like the Nylon sleeve from Take 5 Audio personally.

I'd also recommend considering Switchcraft for your connectors as they've got an extremely large distributor network, and you can purchase via Allied Electronics (among others) in Canada.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! Meanwhile I stumbled on Take Five Audio and ended up ordering small amounts of mogami 2893 and nylon sleeves. I took 3 sizes of sleeves (3/16, 1/4, 3/8) because I couldn't figure out which one I needed exactly. It really was not that expensive.

Looking at the mini jack from switchcraft I am not very impressed. I'm not looking for audio quality for jacks as I can probably not discern any jack from another (so, for me, it doesn't matter). Rather I was looking for cable stress relief (when the jack is physically anchoring the outside of the cable). Otherwise, I have local shops who carry these ones who look dam cheap but those are the 'best' I can physically get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back