RikuBuds Hangout
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 144

WoodyLuvr

Friend of Blur Earphones
1664035361420.png

RikuBuds by @RikudouGoku

Since there are a number of other threads dedicated to certain brands of flathead earbuds I figured a hangout for RikuBuds owners was in order!

RikuBuds by @RikudouGoku
IG: https://www.instagram.com/rikubuds/
Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zTm4ei7HEfP8AI1zxswrMw2ho/edit#gid=1235592562
Discord: https://discord.gg/Mdehmahj

RikuBuds Timeline @ WoodyLuvr's Flathead Timeline

2022 - GEN 1 & GEN 2

• RikuBuds Alter Archer 1; 64ΩWG (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Alter Rider 1; 32ΩBio (19-21 Black Dot; MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Archer 1; 32ΩBG N52 (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Assassin 2; 32ΩFostex (Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Berserker 1; 32ΩTiComp (19-21 Red Dot; MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Berserker 2; 32ΩTiComp (19-21 Red Dot; Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Grand Alter Saber 2; 80ΩPET (Light Blue PET; Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Grand Archer 1; 68ΩGraphene (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Grand Berserker 2; 300ΩDLC (Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Grand Rider 1; 130ΩBery (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Grand Rider 2; 32ΩRG (Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Grand Saber 2; 150ΩBG (Valphonics Val39 custom-made shell)
  • RikuBuds Lancer 1; 150ΩBG (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Rider 1; 32ΩBG N52 (MX500 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Saber 1; 32ΩTiComp (19-21 Red Dot; MX500 shell type)

2023 - GEN 3
  • RikuBuds Alter Rider 3; 32ΩTi (RG39 shell type)
  • RikuBuds Saber 3; 64ΩPET&LCP (RG39 shell type)
1690477090484.png

1690476188922.png

So welcome all! Let's share our experiences regarding this new custom-earbud maker.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 144
1664040001889.png

RikuBuds Berserker 1
19-21 Red Dot 32Ω Titanium Composite DIY MX32 Driver
3.5SE (3.5TRS / 3.5MM UNBALANCED)

RikuBuds Berserker 1 (DIY MX32 19-21 Red Dot Ti); 3.5TRS; 32Ω.jpg

My white shelled and cabled Berserkers are bass cannons with a very fun, nearly fatigue-free signature that most bassheads would appreciate and love (please note that due to the sub-bass tuning there is some mid-bass recession). The Berserker's sub-bass bests my Blur 256 PK16 White Face LE (16Ω; Ultimate Basshead Limited Edition) but falls shy to it in overall bass resolution but for USD$50 I have no complaints! One special note is the DIY MX32 19-21 Red Dot Ti driver that it uses actually scales well with power... responding favorably to higher gain settings which kind of surprised me. Another mention is the nicely crafted and very low profile 3.5TRS termination (plug) and thin cabling which I prefer. Truly, an amazingly well-tuned and extremely well-built earbud made with the greatest care and almost paid for in peanuts. Well done @RikudouGoku :clap:! Bravo!

UPDATE: Most likely due to age I am finding that the basshead tuning is too much for my tastes now and I am finding this to be true across the board now with all basshead signatured/tuned transducers I listen to. Coupled with the uncomfortable MX shell (I prefer smaller shell types due to smaller than average ears) these Berserkers are fatiguing for me (I must note that I have extremely sensitive hearing and am easily prone to treble and now it appears upper bass fatigue). That all said, they still would fall in the top twenty flatheads I have ever heard. These are budget killers for sure punching well above their weight! Highly recommended!

It is crucial that you do not interpret this chart two-dimensionally but rather three-dimensionally using all axes offered. Optimally, this would be best presented as a sphere but in turn that would make it difficult to clearly see and read all the labels and sections. Thus, we are limited to two-dimensions for the sake of presentation and clarity. Please note that I tried my best to stick to the "classic" (more basic) sound signature & tuning characteristic definitions as used by recording professionals & audio engineers (more here).

RikuBuds Berserker 1 Sound Signature Chart

1664098323427.png

RikuBuds Berserker 1 Sound Signature Plot

Primary = Neutral - L-Shaped
Secondary (Strong) = L-Shaped (which causes the mid to upper midrange to be slightly recessed)
Secondary (Weak) = Airy (minor sparkle in the treble region sans sibilance; helps with resolution)
Secondary (Weak) = Mid-Centric (lower midrange is ever so slightly forward simply due to open nature of earbuds)

Tertiary (Complementing) = Sub-Bass - Bass (basshead levels of sub-bass rumble & overall bass punch)
Tertiary (Opposing) = Detailed (surprising amount of detail for a L-Shaped tuning)
Tertiary (Opposing) = Warm (minor pull strengthening the lower midrange preventing bass bleed and darkness)

Breakdown of RikuBuds Berserker 1 Sound Signature Plot

With a super dominate primary sound signature (red dot and red-shaded oval) the Berserker 1 is easily labelled as "neutral - l-shaped" sitting in the "dark" quadrant with one (1) strong secondary sound signature (blue shaded balloon) that also reaches out to "l-shaped" further bolstering the already commanding primary sound signature and causing the frequencies in the middle midrange and upwards to all gently recess resulting in a laid-back, smooth signature that is nearly fatigue-free treble wise (after sometime I am detecting some minor treble peaks wither certain recordings). Two (2) weak secondary sound signatures (blue shaded balloons) counter the darkness... one reaching over to "airy" providing a touch of sparkle in the lower treble, boosting overall resolution and the second reaching down into "mid-centric", beneficially protecting the lower midrange from the powerful L-Shaped bass... this mid-centric event is simply due to the intrinsic nature of an earbud's open-air (open-back like) design. I am unable to detect any naughty bass bleed nor a muddied midrange. A prominent and complementing tertiary sound characteristic (green shaded arrow) shoots straight out to "sub-bass - bass" and is responsible for a nice rumbling sub-bass and an overall powerful bass presentation but does not impose much darkness with it. One downside to this sub-bass focus is a slight recessing of the mid-bass region that I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out to me. Two (2) opposing tertiary sound characteristics (green shaded arrows) are also present, and in minor effect, reaching out to "detailed" and "warm" the later of which strengthens and protects the lower mid-range from bass bleed and in-turn pulls the overall signature away from being too dark.

Other Flathead Earbuds Model Plots

The other plots indicated on the chart are of other earbud models and their primary sound signatures only and are offered for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 144
I'm a proud owner of Alter Rider 1 and super excited for this thread :) Congrats @RikudouGoku !

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 144
Sep 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 144
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 144
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 144
Sep 24, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 144
Looking so familiar 😃
My Berserker 1 eagerly waiting for Alter Rider 1
IMG_20220618_155231.jpg
Have to say that it's a great pleasure dealing with Riku. Very helpful person and great talent 👍
Nice! The B1's are in my listening rotation and not leaving it either.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 144
I guess I will mention that I am looking to make some (YUIN) PK buds for you guys with smaller ears (or just wanting something more comfortable than MX500 or the Val39 shell). Currently waiting for my 9 different drivers to arrive so I can start my R&D with them.

Also, got an even more unique shell coming.
1664057177302.png

A 16mm Sony MDR-E888 based shell. (along with some Audio Technica drivers.)

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 144
I guess I will mention that I am looking to make some (YUIN) PK buds for you guys with smaller ears (or just wanting something more comfortable than MX500 or the Val39 shell). Currently waiting for my 9 different drivers to arrive so I can start my R&D with them.

Also, got an even more unique shell coming.
1664057177302.png
A 16mm Sony MDR-E888 based shell. (along with some Audio Technica drivers.)
Nice! Funny, I just imagined connecting a water hose to that new shell to use it as a shower head. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back