Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind testing
Jul 25, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #31 of 1,376
To me its the principal of it. I can't respect a company that charges six figures for a headphone system. Like I mean honestly guys lets be serious for one second. I could buy a house and build an acoustic room and install a good speaker system for that money, literally. Who would want a headphone "toy" at that point. Either way I like the discussions from all angles and my opinion isn't always fact.. for me I just strongly believe that manufacturers are taking advantage of the misinformed, which also affects me in many ways.. regardless if I believe the nonsense and hype or not. Honestly though at the end of the day.. if I were them, I would want to trick people into thinking I were the best too.. why wouldn't I want to take money and trick people if I were making a huge profit from it. It would be different if I were stealing from the poor, but they are stealing from the stupid.

It just sucks that because of people paying without thinking - we suffer, because we think before we buy.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #32 of 1,376
Ok, let's not get overboard though; what you just said Dillan, can be summed up in one word; Capitalism. Everything comes down to money and to own more and more of it. And profit is not a four letter word, but rape is against the law, you know. I have news for you: you (and pretty much all of us) get ripped off in the grocery's store, at the car dealership, at the dentist, etc. on a regular basis. I'm sure there will be demand for this 145k audio system in certain circles though.

Just because we don't know anyone who has the $ and crazy/adventurous enough to buy, rest assured, there's folks out there to pick these up.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #33 of 1,376
It's easy to not like rich people and to be jealous when you are young. As you mature and gather wealth it becomes more difficult, and easier to see both sides of things.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #34 of 1,376
Hmmm. I've certainly matured, but when can I expect to gather wealth?
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 1,376
  reminds me of this excellent documentary(DVDs never lie!). "this expensive audio device, do you want to know what it is? the marketing matrix is everywhere..."

happiness and truth aren't always on the same bill in the same pill.

The analogy is not perfect IMO.
Some people get tricked into think that they took the red pill and that's where it can get infuriating (And confusing because how can you be so sure about that you took the red pill?
wink.gif
). Just imagine that Morpheus switched the description of the pills on purpose then had a good laugh and left the Matrix.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #36 of 1,376
Speaking of which...the Schiit Modi Multibit is now out.

What's the point?

No, it's not a rhetoric question, but like really, what's the point? It seems to be so important for some people, but doesn't make a difference for others, so I never understood what the purpose of a multibit dac is. Just what exactly makes it so special?

0_0?

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 1,376
  Ok, let's not get overboard though; what you just said Dillan, can be summed up in one word; Capitalism. Everything comes down to money and to own more and more of it. And profit is not a four letter word, but rape is against the law, you know. I have news for you: you (and pretty much all of us) get ripped off in the grocery's store, at the car dealership, at the dentist, etc. on a regular basis. I'm sure there will be demand for this 145k audio system in certain circles though.

Just because we don't know anyone who has the $ and crazy/adventurous enough to buy, rest assured, there's folks out there to pick these up.

Good point.

It's easy to not like rich people and to be jealous when you are young. As you mature and gather wealth it becomes more difficult, and easier to see both sides of things.

I consider myself both well off and mature
wink.gif
but I didn't get that way buying magic tricks either. I still remember the company lessloss literally selling a plastic box that sold for hundreds (thousands?) that eliminated quantum and distortion fields.

Speaking of which...the Schiit Modi Multibit is now out.

What's the point?

No, it's not a rhetoric question, but like really, what's the point? It seems to be so important for some people, but doesn't make a difference for others, so I never understood the purpose of a multibit dac is. Just what exactly makes it so special?

0_0?

Sonically I have no idea.. engineering and technology wise I can respect it.. still don't really have a clue why though, nor do I fully understand the reason. I could rant forever about dac technology. To me I think its at the point where some of these headphones and dacs/amps are being updated and upgraded well past our hearing capability. Tyll said at a recent seminar that digital sound processing is the future and one of the only things we can do anymore that actually makes a difference in sound that we hear.. he has a point, because increasing almost immeasurable specifications just doesnt cut it for me anymore.. but I have noticed the most expensive gear can't even do that.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 1,376
To me its the principal of it. I can't respect a company that charges six figures for a headphone system. Like I mean honestly guys lets be serious for one second. I could buy a house and build an acoustic room and install a good speaker system for that money, literally. Who would want a headphone "toy" at that point.

You aren't the target market, though. It's like the Kef Muons which are $225K a pair. It's for the person who has everything with hundreds of millions in the bank. Well, unless you are a Saudi prince or major star NBA player and we didn't know it :)

So do you not respect Kef because they make a $225K speaker??? Or what about the Behinger iNuke Boom iPhone speaker for $30K? Am I going to condemn Behringer for that? Seems silly for a product, but someone might have bought one when they came out:

(see the iphone plugged in on top to realize how big it is)

Sometimes such things are built more as concept products that help to generate talk about a brand. And then design effort that goes into it provides some new knowledge that may trickle down into other products. For example, there are some flagship concept cars that have super high end audio systems that you will never see in a production car. It's to show off what the audio company can do. They use them at conventions and shows.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #39 of 1,376
To me, what make a certain thing/product valuable is how rare they are.
That's why, I prefer collecting rare headphone instead of the latest and greatest mass product TOTL.
As soon as a new model come out, you've just lost 40-50% of your initial value. That's fine if you purchase basic headphones around 100-200 mark.
Once you step into 2000-4000k mark, it really hurts the hip pocket.
Worst example of this is the HD800 and the HD800s. You added a foam filter and painted black instead of silver. Bam it a nice upgrade.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #40 of 1,376
  To me, what make a certain thing/product valuable is how rare they are.
That's why, I prefer collecting rare headphone instead of the latest and greatest mass product TOTL.
As soon as a new model come out, you've just lost 40-50% of your initial value. That's fine if you purchase basic headphones around 100-200 mark.
Once you step into 2000-4000k mark, it really hurts the hip pocket.
Worst example of this is the HD800 and the HD800s. You added a foam filter and painted black instead of silver. Bam it a nice upgrade.

But I wouldn't label this 145k audio system mass product by any means. Other than that I fully agree.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 1,376
  Am I the only one around here that is fed up with the evolution of headphone pricing and marketing? We are shooting ourselves in the feet by being blind, ignorant buyers and thinkers. We aren't looking at the technical, tangible aspects of these products anymore and instead just looking at the price tag and letting our wallets and bias control us. I have personally just recently come to the conclusion that if a company obviously and irrationally overcharges for their products (at any point in their product line, but usually this is done at the very flagship level) then I am not going to buy any of their products whatsoever anymore. Companies like Schiit create excellent gear at an understandable price, because they don't hire marketers that whisper in their ear to charge to the extreme because it makes the company and the product look like "the best". Ever notice how when Jude on head-fi or even sites like CNET - when reviewing a product its always "the best" when it costs the most. Also every review video is very positive of the product if they sponsor the site or an event.

Obviously people in this thread are less guilty, but its like everyone just wants the cost of things to go up. A/B testing, double blind testing and the mention of pricing is highly discouraged in every thread and even banned in most cases. How laughable is that? We should instead be encouraged to promote price for performance and blind testing. Audio is very subjective and it makes me sick that its universally accepted that the most expensive things are the best - the new Orpheus cost what, $60,000? The new MSB system at Canjam London is $144,000? Someone in that very thread said the markup just for vendors was 50% and then take into account the build cost is about roughly a few hundred dollars and you get a product that everyone's going crazy with joy about that has one of the largest markups ever seen in the headphone industry and nobody is allowed to talk about it. If their R&D upsale of each individual product is well over a hundred thousand dollars then I need to get into audio engineering, because their time is statistically worth more than the most sought after jobs in the world. Its been mentioned that Sennheiser spent more time developing the HD800 than they did with the new $60,000 orpheus. However Sennheiser has well funded marketing that knows in this hobby, people use money as a means of comparing whats good and bad, because our brains aren't developed enough to think beyond the bias, pricing and marketing that goes on as well as one of the major portals of discussion and research (head-fi) which discourages blind testing and price discussion. Every time I have seen it being brought up in fact.. a mod steps in to warn, ban or delete it.

Sorry for the rant, but its very disheartening and we are literally hurting ourselves by this type of behavior. People are amazed and starry eyed when seeing these products with incredibly high price tags and automatically assume its the best thing ever. So when you put them on you have this assumption that its amazing so guess what, people think it is. Would they be that amazed if they were told it cost a few hundred dollars, or even just simply blind tested it first?

No. They wouldnt.

Anyway here is the post and the message that lead me here. Thanks for letting me rant.

Then below is my reply in the thread that was deleted almost instantly by Jude and I was sent a PM by him as well.

------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I definitely appreciate the fact that both the Orpheus and the MSB are priced really high. Their marketing is extremely respectable for sure. Going out on a limb here and guessing if people blind listened without knowing the price then they probably would have different (and less impressive) reactions. Do you think if you told people it cost $3000 they would say it was a bargain? Probably not.. And I guarantee the general consensus would be that it wasn't as good as combos that cost more than it. Instead it has an unheard of price tag so it's automatically "the best".

Just my two cents but audiophiles and religion have much in common. I'm sure the system is cool, I'd buy one if I thought it was worth it. Not to derail the thread, I look forward to more impressions!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Followed by his PM and deletion, a quote from Jude: "The moment you start getting into blind testing and/or the religion analogy, the appropriate place is in the Sound Science forum. You can start a thread in there, and (if you'd like) quote my post that you responded to."

So that is what I did.

I love the community and I love the hobby, but we are slowly buying our way out of sanity and reason and it's turned us into a joke. The fact that we openly have the theme of "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet" - kind of explains it all. Our sound science forum is dead and people on the outside view audiophiles as brainless snake-oil buying jokes and audio manufacturers see us as dollar signs.

Am I just going crazy here? I never hear anyone talking about blind testing anymore and things that used to be discouraged such as expensive cable upgrades, overpriced items etc are now highly encouraged. I have literally watched the community slowly decline in promoting technology and reason over the last 5 to 10 years and prices are jumping up and outsiders respect of us is almost non existent at this point.

I have been just as guilty in the past, but I have always been aware of my bias and overpaying for items and part of it was just for the appeal of exclusivity and viewing some of the products as more "art" than real audio enjoyment. My HD800's were less enjoyable than my $60 Grado, but guess which one I felt most proud to tell people about?

Perhaps its time for me to move on, its a pity.

I actually saw that response before it got delete. I was kinda surprised at your initial message and thought to myself. There are sane people like me too and I was so thrilled other notice the crazy trend.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #42 of 1,376

But I wouldn't label this 145k audio system mass product by any means. Other than that I fully agree.

You have a good point, but I was referring more to the fact of the trend of TOTL headphone at the moment.
Before the HD800, the HD600 & HD650 ruled the market for decades without the need for upgrades at a reasonable price.

To be honest, I know there was much more R/D in my 30k Evo X than that so called MSB best setup 145k
I know I'm not comparing apple to apple. But I refuse to believe that the R/D and part of cost of the MSB setup is any near my impressive Evo X.

If I was the owner of the MSB previous flagship the MSD Diamond DAC.
I would feel small and cheated at the same time, because the next upgrade is more than double of a $40k DAC

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 1,376
@cel4145 no way is that iphone speaker real, for some reason I think that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time lol look at that thing! The iphone looks like an ant compared to it.

And I actually could afford the MSB system, but it wouldn't just be pocket change. However I would die inside and would rather use that investment to make more money so that eventually I can sit on that iphone dock in my living room
beyersmile.png

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #44 of 1,376
  @cel4145 no way is that iphone speaker real, for some reason I think that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time lol look at that thing! The iphone looks like an ant compared to it.

And I actually could afford the MSB system, but it wouldn't just be pocket change. However I would die inside and would rather use that investment to make more money so that eventually I can sit on that iphone dock in my living room
beyersmile.png

You should buy an Evo X you'll have much more loose change and it more fun than a 145k paper weight sitting at home

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 1,376
@cel4145
no way is that iphone speaker real, for some reason I think that is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time lol look at that thing! The iphone looks like an ant compared to it.

Yes it is.

Behringer apparently made it mainly for promotional purposes. They hauled it around to conventions. Not sure how many they actually sold. But I think they did have them listed for sale at one point.

Although for $30K, seems a bit overpriced. I bet we could get help from the DIY guys at AVS forum and build our own for 1/3 that :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back