RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #5,851 of 6,034
I'm getting ready to sell my ADI-2 DAC FS. I'm on a Mac and the buyer is on a PC. Do I need to put the DAC in factory settings? I'm concerned that the updated firmware that I installed on my Mac will mess up the buyer's PC. Thanks in advance.
Firmware update won't mess up anything, but you might have settings that you have forgotten about that can change the sound etc. so the nice thing to do is factory resetting it before shipping. It won't break anything if your settings are still there but he might get settings that change the sound that he is unaware of if you ship it with your settings. Manual is very good but it feels like most people can't be bothered to read it (quite a few examples in this thread) so makes sense to give the buyer a stock settings DAC.

Dec 20, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #5,852 of 6,034
Subjective update on RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AKM 4493 unit tonight) feeding Midgard in S.E. and Balanced mode simultaneously.
Thank you very much for taking the time to compare the two. I agree that balanced is the better way to go or they wouldn't have bothered with it but I could only afford one set of Supra cables and RCA is more useful to have around; that and the size of the XLR plugs sticking out so much. It's good to know that the sound isn't much different, that's the important thing.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #5,853 of 6,034
It took a while to find a hard case that fits the RME  and its cables well, so I thought I'd share my find. This is the Lykus HC-3810. It's a fairly large case, but not too heavy. In the pics you can see how I went about picking and plucking the Pick and Pluck Foam. Everything's snug and secure in there, with nothing left out except the manual. Hope this helps someone else.

Nice! I usually just shove mine in my Thule backpack (laptop and tablet pockets) but do use hard case (Condition1 801) when roadtrips and flying are involved. I did manage to recently snag a wheeled carry-on Nanuk 935 on Amazon for $112. Both hard cases also holds up to 2 phones together with the RME.
Will be taking the Nanuk for an upcoming month long vacation to Asia.
IMG_6785.jpeg
IMG_6753.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #5,854 of 6,034
ADI-2.png

I need some advice.
Is it worth buying such an almost 20-year-old RME in 2024?
It would work between a WIIM Pro and a HIFIMAN XS.
I will use it only with headphones.
The other version is a new FIIO K7. A newer RME does not fit into the budget.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #5,855 of 6,034
Features lacking vis-à-vis the ADI-2 DAC:...no USB; no remote; I don't think it has crossfeed or selectable filters; no PEQ, no DSD decoding; older DAC chipset;

* If you need an analog input, it has that feature.

Newer RMEs are regularly available second hand. I've purchased one recently in perfect condition. Not sure what your budget is.

Alternatively, I cannot comment on the FIIO K7 as I don't own the product.

Best of luck.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #5,856 of 6,034
ADI-2.png

I need some advice.
Is it worth buying such an almost 20-year-old RME in 2024?
It would work between a WIIM Pro and a HIFIMAN XS.
I will use it only with headphones.
The other version is a new FIIO K7. A newer RME does not fit into the budget.
If you already have an audio interface, you have no way of using it as it does not have a USB interface but only coaxial and optical digital inputs

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #5,858 of 6,034
My WIIM streamer has only coaxial and optical outputs. RME is suitable from this point of view. Soundwise i have doubt.
I "think" I must agree. I'm using RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and while it was very good with earphones, on its own with nothing to compare it to, it was not perfect. Using PEQ, NOS filter and crossfeed it improved the headphone listening experience; but still.... Adding my Schiit Midgard to the equation yielded a sound improvement, especially in the mids and high frequencies (I sound like a broken record now). So here I have an expensive DAC with many features (very useful) and the Midgard is the cherry on top.
That said, has anyone used the XLR out the rear of the RME to power headphones? I've seen that done with a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier. A digression and a question.

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #5,859 of 6,034
That said, has anyone used the XLR out the rear of the RME to power headphones? I've seen that done with a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier. A digression and a question.
The AHB2 is designed to drive speakers down to 4 ohms or even less.

The RME is designed to drive pre-amps of one sort or another circa 20k ohms. That said, this is pro-audio kit so from the balanced outputs it should tolerate 600 ohms. You could probably happily drive a beyerdynamic T1 gen 1 from the balanced outputs as that is a very efficient headphone and requires little current. Note that although I own both pieces, I have not tried this!

Jan 11, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #5,860 of 6,034
The AHB2 is designed to drive speakers down to 4 ohms or even less.

The RME is designed to drive pre-amps of one sort or another circa 20k ohms. That said, this is pro-audio kit so from the balanced outputs it should tolerate 600 ohms. You could probably happily drive a beyerdynamic T1 gen 1 from the balanced outputs as that is a very efficient headphone and requires little current. Note that although I own both pieces, I have not tried this!
I have no idea if anyone has tried using the balance outputs from the RME, I was just hypothesizing. That said, here is a link to an AHB2 driving headphones! Enjoy!

https://forum.headphones.com/t/benc...-your-headphone-and-a-guide-walkthrough/16226

I might actually try this someday!

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #5,863 of 6,034
Hi
Does anyone have an EQ setting for the 800s? I'm going to try and pair with FLUXLAB FA-10 that I'm getting next week but I'm loving the ADI-2 so far.
I’m an avid RME owner and have been tailoring the sound successfully. I do love mine, and more and more with time as I discover new settings. Best of luck.

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #5,864 of 6,034
@Jo-JS any suggestions? 🙏🏻
im honored to be asked :)
sadly, i never heared the [im assuming we'ret talking about] Sennheiser 800, i did hear the 6xx but it was without any EQ, i wouldnt know where to start, my only suggestion is using the Harman attenuation via autoEQ (I forgot the exact proccess/plugin that does that, i can google it up if interested) with EqualizerAPO, and go from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back