RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #242 of 595
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #245 of 595
Thank you for your suggestion. Is the quality good?

Fine so far for me, I actually ordered all kinds of adapters and a few cables from this vendor, I am happy, they are great value for the price.
But their cables are very microphonic (transmitting mechanical noises caused by movements) when they don't have a sleeve around.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #247 of 595
The process is not 'downsampling' but normal and a de-facto industry standard. It happens directly within the DAC chip. RME was the first one to openly point out the simple fact that for many years DSD listeners have been fooled (or fooled themself) when thinking they got pure DSD. It was the latest DAC chip generation that provided an addtional option called DSD Direct where the last step of PCM conversion within the DAC chip could be bypassed. This option can be activated in the ADI-2 Pro and DAC, but disables the digital volume control.

Good luck in finding a Direct DSD DAC with analog volume control. Most manufacturers that you will ask don't even know how their units work internally, or will come up with BlaBla responses. Your Mytek Brooklyn claims to do DSD Direct, even with digital volume control (!), and that's why there is some debate where some think what ESS is doing inside their chips can not be called DSD Direct.

There you go....
I no longer own the Mytek...should update my sig. :grimacing: I have a PS Audio DIrectStream for my JBL M2 setup. I'm looking for something else for my JBL 708P system.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #250 of 595
^ my opinion is that high end studio grade equipement like ADI-2 Pro and Violectric V281 have implemented the amp so well, that most people (if any) can't hear any differences between them. So my advice is that look at the features that you need and simply trust that the sound will be excellent :)

Mar 8, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #251 of 595
Perhaps Violectric has more power.
For instance @190 Ohm 4,8 W (according to reference-audio-analyzer) vs. 2,0 W (RME graph).

However, we should know with what level of THD are measured.
I presume both near (but before) clipping

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #252 of 595
Just bought a Audioquest Carbon USB for the hell of it, a better USB cable has been on my list for a while despite the ADI-2 Pro having an excellent USB implementation. (galvanic isolation?)

Will post my impressions soon!

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #253 of 595
Okay, been playing around for a while but upgrading your USB cable is NOT non-sense, it's subtle but PRAT improved quite a bit, also some more depth and clarity, textures are clearer and easier to hear now, it's like a slight veil/haziness has been lifted. I've been swapping quite a bit, and the cable is not exactly burned in yet, but there's definitely some easily audible changes for the better, even with the excellent USB implementation of the ADI-2 Pro. Makes me wonder about higher end models, however I think is one of the best for the price, $200 extra for the Coffee just seems not worth it.

Highly recommended!

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #254 of 595
^ sorry but IT IS nonsense. ADI-2 Pro actually has a bit perfect test built in. You should look it up, read about it and try it. I will guarantee you, that your old USB cable and the new one will both pass the test and it means, that EVERY SINGLE bit, 0 and 1, is 100% the same. One should be able to make logical conclusions about this...

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #255 of 595
^ sorry but IT IS nonsense. ADI-2 Pro actually has a bit perfect test built in. You should look it up, read about it and try it. I will guarantee you, that your old USB cable and the new one will both pass the test and it means, that EVERY SINGLE bit, 0 and 1, is 100% the same. One should be able to make logical conclusions about this...

I don't wanna start a USB war, but it simply isn't as simple as just 1's and 0's, I've been giving out objective impressions of devices for quite some months now and various members seemed to agree with them almost all of the time, because in the end what I hear and then put into words seems rather accurate. The same goes for this cable, there was a nice difference, I've tried of some cheap bulk ones and while they did sound alright when listening to them, a higher quality one like this definitely brings something positive to the table and not just placebo. Just putting it out there, believe it or not.

And please try it for yourself, YMMV as always. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back