Rock and Classical Headphones
Jul 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cmander10

Head-Fier
I am looking for headphones with a $250 budget. I have the E10 amp as well as DT770 250 ohm headphones. I listen mainly to classic rock like the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Joplin, CCR, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc. When I am studying I listen to symphonies and operas (all sorts). I also do a bit of gaming as well, but it is not a priority. I originally bought the 770 since I was living in a dorm and couldn't have an open headphone, which would have been ideal. I still really like the 770s, but I feel I could do better now that I can have open headphones. Right now I am looking at the DT880, HD598, and K701, but I would like to hear some suggestions/opinions. I don't need portability, but it would need to work with the E10. Comfort really isn't an issue either, but it would be nice if it was better than the 770s since my ears get tired after a few hours. Sound on the 770s is nice as well, so how much of an improvement will an open headphone be?

Cheers

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 4
I'd have to say that you should try out the Grados. To me, they sound just right for classic rock as you've described. I tried the SR 60e/80e/125e by playing CCR, Queen and Punk Floyd (pre-Wall) - good for the money.

Personally, I think the Sennheiser HD 280/380 Pros also handle rock material very well, whatever you throw at it.

I guess the pairing with the amp or amp/dac combo that you have also matters a lot - I was getting satisfaction with my AKG 171 mk ii/AKG 142 HD/AKG 240 mk ii with my iBasso D Zero... However, they seem to go well with my HD 25-1 ii and HD 280 for some reason. 

Beyers are awesome. Have you tried the DT 250? I find it more entertaining than the DT 770 80 ohms.

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Grados seem nice for rock but not so much for classical, right? Forgot to mention I listen to some jazz and vocals, but they should fit into the orchestral/opera category nicely. Overall it is easy listening with wide a soundstage.

I haven't tried very many headphones other than what I can get listen to in shops. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the DT 250 will be more or less the same as the 770 with a few tweaks since they are both closed.

I'll look into the HD 280/380 and see how they compare to other Sennheiser headphones. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Grados seem nice for rock but not so much for classical, right? Forgot to mention I listen to some jazz and vocals, but they should fit into the orchestral/opera category nicely. Overall it is easy listening with wide a soundstage.

Right. So used HD580 or HD600 and DT800 (except the 32 ohm version) if your amp can drive those adequately. If you want an AKG, Q701 is more genre-versatile. DT880 will have the most bass, if that matters to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back