Rockna Wavedream DAC
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #31 of 371
I just ordered a wavedream.. i had worked myself to dump more than i wanted to spend on the wavelight, but.. now i'm here :)

Now i have to wait a month to get it.. boo.

I'll be connecting to to a PrimaLuna Evo 400 intergrated.
I also bought a PCI-E i2S Bridge (Pink Faun) for my computer

Right I2S is just HDMI, right? I have some AQ Carbon cables around. (also some AQ black diamond USB cables)
I also ordered the parts for Pi2AES. Which supports AE3 and i2S output (and coax and usb.)

What are people's thoughts between in inputs? One a clear winner? (I2s?) USB good? suck?
My understanding is the SE output isn't great. Even thought my PL only inputs SE, i got the XLR version (which i'll convert.)

Does the XLR version even coming with SE output? I'm a bit confusing on how different the versions are (other than cost)

Which filters are people liking?
Do you leave it on all the time? I'm coming from a Yggy and it is almost required to keep it on all the time.
Any pointers? Tricks? thoughts?

I'll be using my PL for both HP amp and amp.
Headphones: Focal Utopia and Meze empyrean
Speakers: Elac Vela 403.2

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 371
hrmm.. i didn't know this singxer was a thing (and bought a pcie card instead)

Anyone try it with the wavedream?

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 371
hrmm.. i didn't know this singxer was a thing (and bought a pcie card instead)

Anyone try it with the wavedream?
What PCIe->I2S card did you buy? The only one I know of is the Pink Faun one, and that maxes out at DSD64 or DSD128, whereas the Wavedream takes up to DSD512 over i2S and is said to sound very good like that.

The Singxer SU-6 is called a DDC, a Digital to Digital Convertor. There are a few of th now that take USB input and do DSD512 i2S output. Rockna has one called the Hydra and a new one called VOX under their lowered label called Audiobyte.

I think people praised the idea of a direct, PCIe->I2S years ago, but I guess there are some hardware limitations in this and since then a bunch of USB input DDCs have come out with higher capabilities.

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #34 of 371
Hi Benny,

Yes, i got the Pink Faun.
ugh all of this stuff is so costly :p

the audiobyte hydra-z also need hydra zpm (for power) - and the new hydra.. hrmm.. which would i need? Hydra hub and zap? argh! :)

Does the DSD limit matter if one doesn't use DSD and just PCM?

is the singxer su-6 the unit i want? (or the cheapest but good option?)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #35 of 371
Hi Benny,

Yes, i got the Pink Faun.
ugh all of this stuff is so costly :p

the audiobyte hydra-z also need hydra zpm (for power) - and the new hydra.. hrmm.. which would i need? Hydra hub and zap? argh! :)

Does the DSD limit matter if one doesn't use DSD and just PCM?

is the singxer su-6 the unit i want? (or the cheapest but good option?)
I just saw your message in the order Rockna Wavedream thread. It's annoying that there are 2 almost identical threads, eh?

If I were in your shoes, this is what I'd do:

1. Start with USB.
2. Try both regular PCM and upsampled PCM/DSD->DSD512. The point is to try to figure out whether the DAC sounds better with 1 type or the other.
3. Based on #3, start moving ahead with the necessary components to achieve that.

As for your question about the best, cost effective DDC with i2S output, I couldn't say. But, a guess would be to look for a modded and upgraded SU-1 KTE version. I don't know whether a stock SU-6 is better or not, but you can find SU-1 KTEs for ~$300 now and that used to be the top'ish DDC.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 371
yes, i didn't notice both threads were in the summit-fi section. (Which is pretty dead). I'll remove the other post.

Thanks for the suggestion. kitsune audio has a su-2 moded version on sale - i'll check that one out.

Maybe the USB will cut it.
a good post on another site, which access to more hardware that i'll ever have, thought the USB was very good - that said, they didn't have a i2s source.
Rockna Wavedream DAC: Awesomesauce
On inputs:
As I said earlier, USB really is damn legit on this DAC. I unfortunately don't own an I2S source, and one day I'd like to compare something like the PI2AES and maybe even the Wavedream NET to the other inputs available. But I did find the Lynx AES16e slightly grey sounding in comparison to the USB, which also had the added benefit of a little bit of extra warmth and stage depth. I think most people without proper high end sources could get away with using USB on this DAC and not have to worry about nervosa or anything like that, though one wonders what someone who hasn't already thrown some money at digital source bull is doing near a DAC with this kind of price tag.

Question,
What is the height of the unit? i need to find some space for it. :)

Answer myself - i'm blind it is on the website)
Dimensions (HxWxD): 90 x 440 x 360mm

I wonder if that includes the feet.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #37 of 371
waiting is the worst part!
I got all the cables very fast (that is why i use AQ is because i can get them from amazon and it is super ez to return too.)
The Rockna is weeks away and so is the pi2seas. poop.
1619109604952.png

My broken brain keep making me thinking that i need a Digital to digital converter.. lucky for me i can't fit both the wavedream and the dinafrips gaia on the same shelf under the primaluna. (and the DI20HE isn't very pretty)
But i'm still wasting a ton of time researching DDCs (when likely the USB all i really need)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #39 of 371
well.. i really didn't like the SEM1. I got it right at release and worked really hard to try to like it. It was just "wrong" - nothing stood out as bad, but if was just off. I forced myself to use it and well.. meh. I went back to the H800 (or maybe I replaced it with the HD800s by then.)
I do like the empyrean and it feels great, but it cost way to much more what it is. (Also too much bass.. which i guess is what people love. For me, i just want right level of bass that the source demands. Not more not less.)
I do love me the Focal Utopia .. but i do sometimes use the meze for dry or poorly mastered content. Utopia is not friendly to bad stuff.

I do think the SEM1 look cool in a dumb way and i dig that part of it. Note, i never invested in anything put the stock cable for the SEM1. Maybe doing that would have bought some magic. (I also didn't use the best DAC/Amp then. It was the Oppo HA-1.
hrmm.. maybe i'll break it out this weekend and try it again.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #40 of 371
well.. i really didn't like the SEM1. I got it right at release and worked really hard to try to like it. It was just "wrong" - nothing stood out as bad, but if was just off. I forced myself to use it and well.. meh. I went back to the H800 (or maybe I replaced it with the HD800s by then.)
I do like the empyrean and it feels great, but it cost way to much more what it is. (Also too much bass.. which i guess is what people love. For me, i just want right level of bass that the source demands. Not more not less.)
I do love me the Focal Utopia .. but i do sometimes use the meze for dry or poorly mastered content. Utopia is not friendly to bad stuff.

I do think the SEM1 look cool in a dumb way and i dig that part of it. Note, i never invested in anything put the stock cable for the SEM1. Maybe doing that would have bought some magic. (I also didn't use the best DAC/Amp then. It was the Oppo HA-1.
hrmm.. maybe i'll break it out this weekend and try it again.
Haha. Making it clear from the outset, 'well, I really didn't like the SEM1" :p

I also got it near it's release like 5-6 years ago, but my life has seen one upheaval after another since then, so it's been ages since I had a good listen with it. I do have fond memories of it, though~

I've actually got my SEM1 out being modded right now, changing the connectors on it so that I can use my JPS Superconductor + other aftermarket cables without adapters, and getting sheepskin replacement earpads. And as for amping and DACs, I've got a lot better gear there now than when I last had my rig together, so we'll see what that might do to them. I've got my fingers crossed things turn out for the best 🤞🤞

Based on what I remember, I'd say the SEM1s would pair best with a 300B SET amp to bring out the mids, and have a resolving DAC with grey decay and PRaT, but no need for a big soundstage, extra treble, or bass, the headphones can already handle all those. Just my guess, but great to get thinking about, as I look forward to getting mine back and doing that.

Thanks for the Empyrean feedback.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #41 of 371
I've had the Wave dream SE for about 2 years now. Graduated from a Yiggy and Holo Spring. It's a great piece of kit.

Also did the spruced up Singxer for a while. Honestly you can't go wrong with the inputs. The AES will give you the most body but sloppy imaging in my opinion, the i2s the tightest sound, and most pin point imaging and stage. The USB is a nice blend of the two and I find it actually has the largest soundstage. The USB is very very good. All via different cables but you get the idea.

i don't use the Singxer anymore, just going through the computer while I wait for a streamer. It's honestly not a huge loss, but you do add some noise etc.

Leave on all time (no reason to turn off) and I run in NOS mode always, again more body. I'm a pure tidal/roon CD quality guy.

You're in for a treat.

I'm looking to swap my SE for the balanced edition - supposedly a nice upgrade somehow. I would send to shop for upgrade but shipping from Canada to Romania is NOT cheap.

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #42 of 371
I've had the Wave dream SE for about 2 years now. Graduated from a Yiggy and Holo Spring. It's a great piece of kit.

Also did the spruced up Singxer for a while. Honestly you can't go wrong with the inputs. The AES will give you the most body but sloppy imaging in my opinion, the i2s the tightest sound, and most pin point imaging and stage. The USB is a nice blend of the two and I find it actually has the largest soundstage. The USB is very very good. All via different cables but you get the idea.

i don't use the Singxer anymore, just going through the computer while I wait for a streamer. It's honestly not a huge loss, but you do add some noise etc.

Leave on all time (no reason to turn off) and I run in NOS mode always, again more body. I'm a pure tidal/roon CD quality guy.

You're in for a treat.

I'm looking to swap my SE for the balanced edition - supposedly a nice upgrade somehow. I would send to shop for upgrade but shipping from Canada to Romania is NOT cheap.
Which streamer are you getting for your wavedream? The wavelight server or the hydra hub? supposedly there's minimal difference between the SE and balanced out. The wavedream NET is going for an insane amount even on the used market. Nicolae mentioned that he's trying to make the wavelight server sound as good as the NET.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #44 of 371
Which streamer are you getting for your wavedream? The wavelight server or the hydra hub? supposedly there's minimal difference between the SE and balanced out. The wavedream NET is going for an insane amount even on the used market. Nicolae mentioned that he's trying to make the wavelight server sound as good as the NET.

I ended going with the Musica Pristina unit. I got tired of waiting for the wavelight to come out haha.

Things I like about the Musica unit - pure renderer (not paying for the server functionality) which is better for me since I only stream. Great USB implementation from Intona and the i2s out. The i2s actually isn't compatible with my older Rockna but I prefer the USB in right now anyways. Kevin is also great to deal with (not that Nicolae isn't - both great dudes)

Believe the 4.8 firmware actually lets you switch i2s compatibility but I can't get my DAC to DL it for the life of me. Might be that my unit is older - not sure. Got 4.7 to work no problem. Not super fussed about it but will eventually message Nicolae about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back