Rockna Wavelight
Jun 8, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 1,586
Gotcha, thanks. I was hoping at least Yggy A2's level of warmth. But shouldn't be a problem, as long as it is full-bodied in the mids and hits hard in the bass.

Yes overall a touch cooler I think. Yggy does have a memorable bass; don't know if I can say Wavelight slams as hard on the low end, the impact seems more neutral and controlled but nonetheless deep and textured. Though admittedly bass isn't an area I tend to focus or prioritize so no shortcoming to me personally. On treble, DAVE has always been most pristine to me w/ respect to extension, air, reverb. It's a bit silkier on the Wavelight, but no less resolute in technicality. Mids and staging keep coming to mind in terms of Wavelight's key strengths. I think vocals and instruments are exemplary.. timbre, decay, imaging, all remarkably nuanced.. one track I love for sax is Archie Shepp Quartet - The Thrill is Gone, incredible Wavelight presentation on this one, highly organic and enjoyable.

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 1,586
It's a pretty murky 'scale' so that is a tough question but on tone if we consider ADI-2 or DAC3 as dead neutral +0, I roughly and loosely think something like X-Sabre Pro or Brooklyn+ are +1 on warmth, Wavelight +2, Yggy +3, Spring2 +4, Terminator +5.

Thanks for sharing impressions, they're pretty rare on the web for this new product.

I was wondering if you had already spent a bit of time playing with the different filters? e.g. In your scale above, I see Spring DAC which most people use in NOS mode. I see Iggy that has (8x?) custom digital filter. These filters play a large role in the perceived response (imaging, treble response etc) so I am wondering if the wavelight can move left/right on this ladder depending on if you run it NOS or use in-built dig. filters?

Also, in regards to low end response, we talk about "slam" but what does it mean in terms of bass texture. e.g. is this DAC more toward lean bass yet textured rather than full / impactful bass at the expense of texture?

cheers,
arnaud

Jun 8, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 1,586
Thanks for sharing impressions, they're pretty rare on the web for this new product.

I was wondering if you had already spent a bit of time playing with the different filters? e.g. In your scale above, I see Spring DAC which most people use in NOS mode. I see Iggy that has (8x?) custom digital filter. These filters play a large role in the perceived response (imaging, treble response etc) so I am wondering if the wavelight can move left/right on this ladder depending on if you run it NOS or use in-built dig. filters?

Also, in regards to low end response, we talk about "slam" but what does it mean in terms of bass texture. e.g. is this DAC more toward lean bass yet textured rather than full / impactful bass at the expense of texture?

cheers,
arnaud

Hey Arnaud yes that is an astute comment, I think the filters do make enough audible impact to shift the tone. I did enjoy Spring 2 most on NOS but on the Wavelight I am liking the Hybrid filter after some brief toying around w/ each. I will do some more listening on NOS at some point. And yes your example contrasting bass is what I mean. Yggy has a pronounced and visceral bass, from memory it was quite engaging but also slightly more hazy on texture than some other DACs. Conversely I think Wavelight has great low end detail and definition but ultimately more polite on impact relative to Yggy.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #19 of 1,586
Am contemplating selling my holo spring 2 to get the rockna wavelight. Anyone can comment if this will be a sideways upgrade?

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #20 of 1,586
Am contemplating selling my holo spring 2 to get the rockna wavelight. Anyone can comment if this will be a sideways upgrade?

System synergy is important so it's hard to say, I don't want to claim it's an upgrade then be held accountable if you end up w/ buyer's remorse... :D I think go for it if you're curious enough, I certainly was and have no regrets. Would love to hear input from another Wavelight owner eventually.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #21 of 1,586
Grabbed the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge from my office for fun, didn't take much A/B to conclude that the Wavelight performs w/ superiority across the board.

_DSC7614.jpg

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 1,586
So lately I've been considering getting a new DAC and came upon this thread from the susvara thread. @koven , it appears you have some experience with the XSP Dac. I was originally considering the Holo May DAC but am very intrigued by this the wavelight. Can you perhaps spare some comparisons between the XSP and the wavelight? Would it be considered an upgrade or a sidegrade?

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 1,586
So lately I've been considering getting a new DAC and came upon this thread from the susvara thread. @koven , it appears you have some experience with the XSP Dac. I was originally considering the Holo May DAC but am very intrigued by this the wavelight. Can you perhaps spare some comparisons between the XSP and the wavelight? Would it be considered an upgrade or a sidegrade?

XSP I put quite closely w/ DAC3 and Brooklyn+ performance overall. Probably unsurprising as they're all [excellent] ESS implementations. I think DAC3 is most balanced and neutral out of these 3, kind of felt like the best noise floor in general. Brooklyn+ seems to have the more intimate stage, nice lush vocals, maybe a bit forward on the mids, great low end too. What stood out w/ XSP is a crispy airiness, excellent clarity while never anemic, nice soundstage. XSP I had last year for a couple weeks only. DAC3 and Brooklyn+ are more in recent memory, and in a nutshell if you ask me I think Wavelight is ultimately an upgrade from those two. Spring 2 KTE was a special, memorable experience for me so I imagine the Holo May would be as well. Holo May seems to be the biggest 'coin flip' compared to the Wavelight in terms of latest R2R developments under $5K. Maybe the Sonnet Morpheus too. Since these are all relatively new it's going to be hard to find direct comparisons thus it's either take the early adopter risk or wait out more impressions for who knows how long. :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 1,586
XSP I put quite closely w/ DAC3 and Brooklyn+ performance overall. Probably unsurprising as they're all [excellent] ESS implementations. I think DAC3 is most balanced and neutral out of these 3, kind of felt like the best noise floor in general. Brooklyn+ seems to have the more intimate stage, nice lush vocals, maybe a bit forward on the mids, great low end too. What stood out w/ XSP is a crispy airiness, excellent clarity while never anemic, nice soundstage. XSP I had last year for a couple weeks only. DAC3 and Brooklyn+ are more in recent memory, and in a nutshell if you ask me I think Wavelight is ultimately an upgrade from those two. Spring 2 KTE was a special, memorable experience for me so I imagine the Holo May would be as well. Holo May seems to be the biggest 'coin flip' compared to the Wavelight in terms of latest R2R developments under $5K. Maybe the Sonnet Morpheus too. Since these are all relatively new it's going to be hard to find direct comparisons thus it's either take the early adopter risk or wait out more impressions for who knows how long. :)
Thank you for the impressions! I am looking for a DAC that is a touch warmer than the XSP and with a bit more sub bass rumble and definition. Do you know if Rockna does demo units by chance?

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #28 of 1,586
Thank you for the impressions! I am looking for a DAC that is a touch warmer than the XSP and with a bit more sub bass rumble and definition. Do you know if Rockna does demo units by chance?

I think it'd be the distributor's call, they have 4 in US listed on their website. It's worth reaching out via phone, if you rub them the right way I imagine they might take a credit card hold for a demo. I asked one before my purchase but the response I got was they are backordered so no stock for demo.

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #29 of 1,586
I think it'd be the distributor's call, they have 4 in US listed on their website. It's worth reaching out via phone, if you rub them the right way I imagine they might take a credit card hold for a demo. I asked one before my purchase but the response I got was they are backordered so no stock for demo.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll call and see if I luck out. If not, I guess I'll wait since I'm not too keen on blind purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back