Rockna Wavelight
May 24, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #1,156 of 1,630
How is it compared to Mola Mola Tambaqui lol.
@K3cT Mola Mola Tambaqui is completly different yet it is hard to compare since with WaveLight you need a separate amp and internal Tambaqui headphone amp isn't that bad. Assuming you will have in both cases a very transparent amp that adds nothing to the sound signature and does not limit sound stage I would say that Tambaqui has a lot larger scene that can be more 3d and almost like live one, can be much more revealing but not necessary in fatiguing way. MMT is also a bit more smoother than WL (not only when using NOS settings, but also Linear and Hybrid).

The biggest problem I had with Tambaqui is that with bad recording it will sound bad or even worst. Further more some records that I loved sounded rather poor on MMT due to how much revealing this dac is. This is quite opposite with Rockna WaveLight: I'm yet to find a track that sounds bad on it.

Overall I think both are great dacs and if both budget and space are not constrains I think it could be worth to have both while their usage pattern will be very different. While WL can be my single dac of choice and I can stay with it I know at the moment it would be very hard for me to live with MMT only while I still want one :wink:

May 25, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #1,157 of 1,630
I do not know if there is a separate thread for the Wawedream. I have heard it first time. The spaciousness (and everything else) with both headphones is just incredible.
The thing that Wavedream does so well for me is it's ability to make everything sound seemingly compressed in direct comparison even though they're clearly not. Probably overkill to just use with headphones imo but I've yet to find something that can even compares. If the wavelight was anywhere close to the wavedream it would be a great endgame dac for a headphone rig though unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to hear one myself.

May 29, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,158 of 1,630
How is it compared to Mola Mola Tambaqui lol.

Maybe this will help, quoting from a forum that shall not be named.

Somehow i agree with that quote that said "but the Wavelight is the first DAC I've had where I didn't feel that something was blatantly wrong in at least one aspect".

Music from Wavelight just sounds good no matter what genre i throw at it. Overall it's a pleasing and fun experience

May 30, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,159 of 1,630
yesterday, i took out the Wavelight and hooked up the Meitner MA3 to my WA33. it took about 5 songs before i swapped the MA3 back for the Wavelight. it is quite simply a fantastic pairing with the WA33.

May 30, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,160 of 1,630
yesterday, i took out the Wavelight and hooked up the Meitner MA3 to my WA33. it took about 5 songs before i swapped the MA3 back for the Wavelight. it is quite simply a fantastic pairing with the WA33.
@Roasty now you make want WA33 eventually but I already have Envy :wink: Wavelight is IMHO the best dac I've heard at this price and it is a keeper for me.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,162 of 1,630
Jun 7, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,163 of 1,630
So there's a used Wavelight in the classifieds, and I'm debating on giving it a shot against my Denafrips Venus II - anyone have any detailed thoughts on the subject?

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #1,164 of 1,630
So there's a used Wavelight in the classifieds, and I'm debating on giving it a shot against my Denafrips Venus II - anyone have any detailed thoughts on the subject?
The Wavelight is an amazing DAC
I can recommend to try it out.

However the comments on the listing look suspicious.
The price is alright considering the increased retail, but some posters were apparently not happy with their pm responses...

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #1,165 of 1,630
I have not heard the Venus 2, but have heard a Pontus 2 and Termi 1 with DSP upgrade. I would take the WL over either those DACs. It just has more realism than the Denafrips DACs.

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,166 of 1,630
I've not owned any Denafrips dacs, but fwiw, I would take the WL over Dave, Mola Mola, Benchmark and May. I've listened to a Terminator in a friend's hse, but briefly. SQ aside, having seen the Termi, and owned a Denafrips Athena, it's safe to say the build quality of the Rockna is way better.

Jun 7, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,167 of 1,630
Denafrips sound is very relaxing, but not real. Isn't Rockna sound character closer to the Audio GD than Denafrips?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #1,168 of 1,630
The Wavelight is an amazing DAC
I can recommend to try it out.

However the comments on the listing look suspicious.
The price is alright considering the increased retail, but some posters were apparently not happy with their pm responses...
Yeah, I'm concerned about that, and the fact that he's a short-timer with 1 post.....I may pass on the opportunity and wait for the next one.

Jun 7, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,169 of 1,630
Denafrips sound is very relaxing, but not real. Isn't Rockna sound character closer to the Audio GD than Denafrips?

I haven’t heard their newer DACs with resistor ladders but the WL is a lot more neutral and immediate compared to their PCM1704 based one. I think Reference 7 with upgraded DSP?

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #1,170 of 1,630
I haven’t heard their newer DACs with resistor ladders but the WL is a lot more neutral and immediate compared to their PCM1704 based one. I think Reference 7 with upgraded DSP?
It is upgraded with R-7 DSP board 2020 model, cannot be upgraded to the latest HE-7Mk2 level. Sound is now brought close to the modern user preferences and resembles the character of their discrete R2R implementation R-7HE Mk2. This is according to the member who owns both.

Regarding the member who asked the initial question, there is no simple answer for what is better. As for PCM1704, it is hard to beat as far I can tell. However at this level of performance equipment has to be evaluated in a highly tuned gear. By today standards DDC (like DI-20HE) and external clocks are mandatory items and other measures have to be taken. Only then sound becomes neutral and smooth without any sign of harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back