Rockna Wavelight
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #931 of 1,586
T+A MP 2000R Mk2 vs Rockna Wavelight
….
I was surprised that the MP2000R sounds "more analogue" than the Rockna which is a R2R DAC.

Sorry that I was a bit late too the party. This was a great comparison between the two digital sources that I’m keeping my eyes on. I was really impressed by Rocka Wavedream Edition Balanced on its organic and meaty sound, which to me perceived as very analog sounding, particularly when comparing against PWM FPGA dac or mid-tier dac using converter chip.

After the audition, I almost pulled a trigger on Wavelight or Wavedream SE (base version). However, one-box solution like MP2000R/2500R still pop up in my head as I occasionally listen to collections of CD. If going through Rockna route I would have to purchase a decent CD transport in addition (or Wavelight Server if it will come with CD drive like bigger brother WD Net), which means couple grand more. Given this, T+A MP family would be considered a good solution to me functionality and cost wise.

Considering just the sonic trait, I would really appreciate if you can elaborate more how the MP2000R felt more analogue vs Wavelight in your opinion. Thank you!

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #932 of 1,586
Thank you for the impressions! I am looking for a DAC that is a touch warmer than the XSP and with a bit more sub bass rumble and definition. Do you know if Rockna does demo units by chance?
So I am in this boat as well, lol.

I want to retain the clarity of the XSP but add more sub bass rumble.

What did you end up with @Ethereal Sound in your upgrade path from the XSP?

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #935 of 1,586
Happy new Rockna WL owner here. Many thanks to this thread for a lot of helpful advice (PMs) along the way. Much appreciated!

IMG_0933.jpeg

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #936 of 1,586
Happy new Rockna WL owner here. Many thanks to this thread for a lot of helpful advice (PMs) along the way. Much appreciated!

IMG_0933.jpeg
Enjoy, it's one of the best DACs money can buy

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #937 of 1,586
Enjoy, it's one of the best DACs money can buy

Thank you! It was quite an adventure DAC hunting - at the end of the day - the WL delivers an overall sound signature that is just perfect for my preferences. The tonal richness / "heft" is just superb without sacrificing any micro-details :sunglasses:

:musical_note:🎶:musical_note:

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #938 of 1,586

IMG_0933.jpeg

congrats man! enjoy that wavelight plus tube amp combo! if u have the chance, try an aes/ebu connection into the WL!

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #939 of 1,586
Yes overall a touch cooler I think. Yggy does have a memorable bass; don't know if I can say Wavelight slams as hard on the low end, the impact seems more neutral and controlled but nonetheless deep and textured. Though admittedly bass isn't an area I tend to focus or prioritize so no shortcoming to me personally. On treble, DAVE has always been most pristine to me w/ respect to extension, air, reverb. It's a bit silkier on the Wavelight, but no less resolute in technicality. Mids and staging keep coming to mind in terms of Wavelight's key strengths. I think vocals and instruments are exemplary.. timbre, decay, imaging, all remarkably nuanced.. one track I love for sax is Archie Shepp Quartet - The Thrill is Gone, incredible Wavelight presentation on this one, highly organic and enjoyable.
Very interesting!

Have you also heard the MSB Premiere DAC or similar new gen MSB, or the AMR DP 777 SE DAC to compare these two units also in the same?

Then i have also viewed this users Youtube where he states he got a modified Rockna Wavelight DAC, and it would be great to know what has been modded if someone knows this that can give the Rockna an even better SQ performance ? Does it got a Expensive Clock like MSB are using, that can be upgraded perhaps?

It sounds through great on this users video clip👌✋🥃

Oct 23, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #941 of 1,586
Better at this level is pretty subjective. I wouldn’t trust any no name modification without first understanding the parts that are swapped and hearing them out on my system. The wavelight is a fine dac and if you want better I’d highly recommend taking a look at the wavedream series of dac.
@helljudgement totally agree with your point of view. May I add that some may not like WaveDream due to its sound signature - this is similar problem I had with TT2 vs Dave, I simply prefer TT2 musicality over more detailed and a bit more dry sound. This is quite similar with WL vs WD: for me WL is more relaxed and it lets me enjoy music more. WD is better for very critical listening, but it makes you constantly focusing on the sound without relaxing and pure joy. Keep in mind that this is all so subjective so YMMV a lot.

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #942 of 1,586
@helljudgement totally agree with your point of view. May I add that some may not like WaveDream due to its sound signature - this is similar problem I had with TT2 vs Dave, I simply prefer TT2 musicality over more detailed and a bit more dry sound. This is quite similar with WL vs WD: for me WL is more relaxed and it lets me enjoy music more. WD is better for very critical listening, but it makes you constantly focusing on the sound without relaxing and pure joy. Keep in mind that this is all so subjective so YMMV a lot.
Did you try this? A new entry in the Stereophile tests. Top left button to download zip file, had problem with reading PDF online.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!1178&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #943 of 1,586
Better at this level is pretty subjective. I wouldn’t trust any no name modification without first understanding the parts that are swapped and hearing them out on my system. The wavelight is a fine dac and if you want better I’d highly recommend taking a look at the wavedream series of dac.
@Beolab
Aftermarket fuses help quite a bit. Also try using Deoxit gold on the transformer connectors, fuse holders, and the Board connectors.

Another more expensive modification would be to change all on board capacitors for Audio-note capacitors, that would be quite expensive.

Nothing else as far as I see it.

P.S. I also had to replace the stock fuse holder, the snap on plastic cap holder did not press the fuse in tightly enough, resolution suffered because of it, I could hear a clear difference when I pressed the holder and put some pressure on the fuse itself. (The whole assembly was too loose. )
I had to solder in a different holder that clamped the fuse tightly, I've had no issues since then.
Aftermarket Holder was only about 5 dollars.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #945 of 1,586
I had to solder in a different holder that clamped the fuse tightly, I've had no issues since then.
Aftermarket Holder was only about 5 dollars
You can move a fuse out of enclosure, assumimg there is a fuse inside power cord or socket, bridging a holder terminals permanently by soldering. The best fuse is no fuse, 0 cost. Like on this photo inside the plug:
11891316.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back