Rockna Wavelight
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #1,516 of 1,586
The USB module w/galvanic isolation arrived yesterday. The board includes a TI usb isolation chip not on the existing board.
Installation on a Mac chain was relatively easy but there are a couple of pitfalls.
Remove dac lid w/2.5 mm Allen wrench.
Pull off the old usb board by either side. It’s a little snug and attached w/24 pins w/two rows of six at either end.
Install new board. Make sure pins line up as it will attach misaligned. Also, the small circle at the corner of the board should be back right when facing the front of the dac. Just match to the existing board.
Connect Mac via usb and reboot the dac. I pulled the plug and reattached. The Mac was unable to find the dac w/o the reboot nor could it find the dac with the old board reinstalled.
Make sure that the dac is selected in the settings/sound folder, not just the midi folder, or you’ll get no sound. Ask me how I know. Don’t ask me how long it took to figure it out since the dac was already selected on the midi audio folder.
I also rebooted the Mac and amp along the way but I’m not sure that mattered. Doing the install again would take 10 minutes.
I’ll report on the sonic effects once I spend some time listening. I’m running firmware V2.10 on a new dac board courtesy of Rockna and Verdant Audio after an unfortunate bricking incident.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,517 of 1,586
Does anyone using an Apple source w/Apple Music use the Lostless Switcher with the WL? How do you like it? It’s supposed to automatically switch the sample rate and bit rate to match the song so you don’t have to do it manually through the midi screen.
This might be the wrong forum…

Jan 25, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #1,518 of 1,586
I like it. Without it, when the track's sample rate doesn't match output sample rate, there is a very slight glare. It isn't night and day. But because the Lossless Switcher is free and it doesn't get in the way of the audio signal but only sets the output sample rate to match the track's sample rate, it is a no brainer.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #1,519 of 1,586

I like it. Without it, when the track's sample rate doesn't match output sample rate, there is a very slight glare. It isn't night and day. But because the Lossless Switcher is free and it doesn't get in the way of the audio signal but only sets the output sample rate to match the track's sample rate, it is a no brainer.
Do you just update to the latest beta version?

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #1,520 of 1,586
the Android app for the WL Server keeps failing me. can't get it opened. click on the icon and it opens, but closes instantaneously.

Anyways, from the webserver, I'm getting these numbers. is this what everyone else has?

Screenshot_20240126_141809_Chrome.jpg

this is from my new unit which I just got from the dealer. I've been using the shop demo unit for the past few months.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #1,521 of 1,586
the Android app for the WL Server keeps failing me. can't get it opened. click on the icon and it opens, but closes instantaneously.

Anyways, from the webserver, I'm getting these numbers. is this what everyone else has?

this is from my new unit which I just got from the dealer. I've been using the shop demo unit for the past few months.
@Roasty same here with my WLS. Funny enough iOS application on my Mac got stuck on Update completed screen while Android app is working fine. On the other hand the only truly working interface for me is the web one.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 08.13.27.png

Congrats on your new WLS :)

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,522 of 1,586

Interesting I have API 1.20 with no Updates available

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,524 of 1,586
Jan 29, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #1,525 of 1,586
Gents - I am attemping the firmware update off my MAC Laptop (bitperfect running in background).

When I play either of the two Firmware Update files - nothing happens - the WL does not start to update. The display remains the same "USB 44k"

Any suggestions ? What am I missing here ?

I am using iTunes only because its the only mechanism on my Mac Laptop to play an audiofile.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 2.43.01 PM.png

Jan 30, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #1,526 of 1,586
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #1,528 of 1,586
Gents - I am attemping the firmware update off my MAC Laptop (bitperfect running in background).

When I play either of the two Firmware Update files - nothing happens - the WL does not start to update. The display remains the same "USB 44k"

Any suggestions ? What am I missing here ?

I am using iTunes only because its the only mechanism on my Mac Laptop to play an audiofile.

Screen Shot 2024-01-29 at 2.43.01 PM.png
You can't use Apple Music or iTunes for FW updates even with Lossless Switcher. You need to use a 3rd party software that do bit-perfect output like Pine Player, Audirvana+, Jriver Media Center, Roon to update the FW on the WL using a Mac. I would recommend the Pine Player as it is a minimalist app. Just make sure you set the volume to 100 and all the DSP are disabled to send a bit-perfect bit stream to the DAC.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #1,529 of 1,586
Thank you @EagleWings !

Pine Player (Pro) worked. However, you have to purchase pro, or you cannot disable the DSP settings. Also, you have to turn off "repeat" when you first open the player or the file will loop (by default).

Good News: I was able to run the update and it said "UPD DONE"

Bad News: My WL failed to reboot in standby mode - for some reason it went back to "UPD" after rebooting and bricks itself.

I have sent an email to Rockna to see what they say. I can pull the power cord and reset - but this really can't be so hard to update some firmware, very silly for a DAC at this price point to behave like this. I love the sound of the WL, so I will continue to punish myself as firmware updates are not regular occurrence.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #1,530 of 1,586
Thank you @EagleWings !

Pine Player (Pro) worked. However, you have to purchase pro, or you cannot disable the DSP settings. Also, you have to turn off "repeat" when you first open the player or the file will loop (by default).

Good News: I was able to run the update and it said "UPD DONE"

Bad News: My WL failed to reboot in standby mode - for some reason it went back to "UPD" after rebooting and bricks itself.

I have sent an email to Rockna to see what they say. I can pull the power cord and reset - but this really can't be so hard to update some firmware, very silly for a DAC at this price point to behave like this. I love the sound of the WL, so I will continue to punish myself as firmware updates are not regular occurrence.
@David222 mine did the same, power cycle did the trick, but better wait for Rockna support answer.

Rockna is great sound wise, but the update procedures are horribly wrong. This is twice the fault of Rockna Audio: once this is how they designed it in the first place and second time when they decided to promise features and make their product available without complete firmware. I must say I admire Chord here: you buy a complete product that is finished and no upgrades are needed (I'm not talking about their streamers but dacs and amps only).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back