RPI streamer success
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audiobomber

500+ Head-Fier
I have three Wi-Fi streaming systems in my home. I was using Chromecast Audio (CCA) for streaming to the middle-quality system, connected via glass Toslink to an iFi Audio nano iOne DAC. This worked well for anything up to CD quality. Higher resolution PCM and DSD files were problematic due to popping noises, dropouts and service interruptions. Using the internal CCA DAC resolved the hi-rez reliability issue, but sound quality was sub-standard, so I decided to try a small board computer. I looked at the Allo USBridge but the cost was three times higher than the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. Since the middle system is not used for critical listening and I was unsure about results, I went with the thriftier option.

The RPI with Volumio OS, powered by an iFi Audio 5V iPower, connected via USB to the iOne, immediately resolved my reliability issue. Sound quality, while better than CCA with external DAC in most ways, was still a bit disappointing. I always listen for PRaT (Pace, Rhythm and Timing) in my systems. The Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and iOne was lacking in boogie factor, the music didn't grab and hold my attention the way it should.

I read on the net about potential compromises in the RPI USB port implementation. I've used dual head USB cables to good effect in another system and I had a spare cable on hand, so I gave it a go. I powered the RPI with the supplied Canakit PS and moved the iPower to the power leg of the USB cable. The data leg was connected to the RPI and the B end to the iOne. Wow, success! The sound is the best I have heard in this system, bettering the CCA/Toslink/iPower/iOne combo in every possible way.

My only complaint is that I lost CCA's remote level control. I have to walk over to the preamp to change volume. Here are the components in my middle system:

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ & Volumio, Canakit power supply
Vanguard dual head USB cable
iFi Audio nano iOne DAC, iFi iPower 5V power supply
Schiit Magni 3 preamp/headphone amp
Topping TP21 chip amp, Linn K400 speaker cables
Raw-1F single-driver speakers, on metal stands

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 2
My only complaint is that I lost CCA's remote level control. I have to walk over to the preamp to change volume.

Resolved! I found a solution in the Volumio Playback menu that allows me to control volume and transcoding, not only when using the Volumio controller but also with my QNAP controllers and MPD. I'm very pleased with the RPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back