RQ for Recommendations!
Sep 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Caldoran

New Head-Fier
Hey there mighty ears of Head-Fi! I'm pretty new here in a way; I've been a certified lurker for nearly a year! From reading through the countless threads, I slowly learned and understood many audio concepts and stuff, like decibels, treble, soundstage, impedance, and much, much more, and from the informative and colourful reviews of this site and many others, I've cycled through earphones and headphones (not so much) from the Apple earbuds to finally the Sennheiser IE7, and the ATH-FC700's, to the ATH-AD900's.

Now, I absolutely adore my IE7's. It's almost perfect to my ears; Great bass, totally involving/enjoyable/musical/awesomesauceinwonderland, and the soundstage really destroys any other IEM's I've tried. However, it lacks one thing (what can have everything?!); Menacing, mean, and unforgiving DETAIL. So just this time, I'm willing to forgo every other thing; Great bass, soundstage, whatever. I just want some serious detail. I want to hear a singer's hair rubbing across the microphone. But not all the way to the wallet-combusting ATH-CK1000, of course. Something that is amazing for its price.

My budget? Around US$100-US$200. "Shocking!" "There is nothing at that price that has what you want! Just stick to your IE7!"

Well, I don't know about that, but I'm sure you guys will think of something. I've been looking at the ADDIEM's, but I'm sure there are better choices, right?

So shoot away with your suggestions! It'll be best if you could even make a comparison with my beloved IE7's!

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 6
hi there,
In your budget I could recommend Radius DDM ($160-190 USD)
DBA-02 Fisher Audio($160)
HJE900 Panasonic for under  $100 USD. (sale)
Phonac Audeo $140 USD

Check them out. Where are you at? Could you audition some at local shop?

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 6
Yo, thanks for your recommendations! :D Are you from Singapore too?

I've tried the Radius DDM at Jaben before. I didn't like them at all. I found the sound way too "thick" and I could hardly hear any details. I know it'll most definitely improve with an amp, but I plan to use these unamped. I should really put that in the first post :p

I will check the rest out. The DBA-02 and PFE looks really good, but the HJE900's seem to be more like my IE7's? I don't know. I'll check it out either way. Hopefully all of them would be available for audition at Stereo or Jaben.

I've heard good things about the RE0 too. Is that good? How about the ADDIEM's?

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 6
RE0 has extended highs than many highend IEMs offers with great midrange details but it's need AMPs help to shows it's best. If you are planning to use without AMPs then RE-ZERO are close to REO, there are some others models like DBA-02, Image X5, Custom 3, MTP Copper, SM2, CK10 and SA6.

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 6
I would say for that budget a DBA-02 or a RE-0 might be what you'd be looking for. You can head down to Jaben to try to RE-0's i think. As for the DBA-02. I tried it at some treoo.com demo session in Singapore. Hope you find what you're looking for. =]

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Exciting :D

If the RE0 needs an amp, then what amp(s) would make it sound its best? I'm not entirely against the use of amps, but their high price scares me @_@

Right now, the DBA-02, RE0 and PFE are really tickling my wallet :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back