Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #496 of 522
Just a quick note to say how lovely the RNHP sounds with the Chord Qutest. Very liquid and enjoyable and it has me digging up tracks to play. The RNHP just delivers.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #497 of 522
Just a quick note to say how lovely the RNHP sounds with the Chord Qutest. Very liquid and enjoyable and it has me digging up tracks to play. The RNHP just delivers.
Do you still enjoy it even having the V550?

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #498 of 522
I'm also positively surprised that you still come back to RNHP although you have V5XX.

So I'm looking forward to coming back to them, too. Even switch them on because of the lights while not listening to music through them because of their admirable beauty and light. I had them for nearly 10 months now in my chain between headphones and streamer/DAC (mojo2/poly. TBH, the latter combination (headphones directly to mojo2/poly) gives me remarkably more resolution IMHO the RNHP cannot convey or say let through from streamer/DAC to headphones.

But I'm still happy to have them as first owner and only would sell them because of financial shortcomings.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #499 of 522
I'm also positively surprised that you still come back to RNHP although you have V5XX.

So I'm looking forward to coming back to them, too. Even switch them on because of the lights while not listening to music through them because of their admirable beauty and light. I had them for nearly 10 months now in my chain between headphones and streamer/DAC (mojo2/poly. TBH, the latter combination (headphones directly to mojo2/poly) gives me remarkably more resolution IMHO the RNHP cannot convey or say let through from streamer/DAC to headphones.

But I'm still happy to have them as first owner and only would sell them because of financial shortcomings.
I keep them stacked right on top each other. The thing with the RNHP is...the V550 is better in only some ways. Were it not for some epically bad marketing moves by the Neve company, I think the RNHP would be much more respected than it currently is. They put a great headphone amp designed to be a studio tool on the market for a reasonable price and low and behold it became a surprise hit with audiophiles (who probably bought way more of them than studio folks ever would). Rather than take the win and leave the amp alone at the same low price and build themselves a well deserved client base of audiophiles, what did they do in response? They immediately slapped audiophiles in the face by raising the price $200 then slapped them again by re-skinning nearly the same amp to be more attractive on a desk and raising the price AGAIN another $400. As a result they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and then slammed the door shut on their own foot, becoming sort of a joke. If there's a review of the "Fidelice Headphone Amp" anywhere on YouTube I can't find it. They fooled NOBODY with their greedy ham fisted cash grab.

As far as I'm concerned, the RNHP is a special little amp because it's taken me places in music again and again. Experiences like that with a product win my loyalty...so...it stays right where it is, perched on top of an amp costing five or six times more that by all accounts and measures runs circles around it...except when it doesn't. IMHO Mr. Neve knew some things about music that most others in the field ignore and the RNHP is an example of that. It has better resolution than people give it credit for and also it has another special quality that I can't quite put my finger on but I DO keep coming back for more because it offers something unique that hasn't revealed itself in measurements. Hell, have you ever heard the woman who speaks on "Dark Side Of The Moon"? God knows how many times we've all heard that record and I for one never heard the woman speaking.....until I played the album on the RNHP. It's a good amp and I think most of us here on this forum know it.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #500 of 522
This my stack. I bypass the DAC and EQ to edit on a different input. I listen to everything for enjoyment. Flipping amazing with AKM4499 and Sparkos SS2590 op amps.
IMG_1557.jpeg

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #501 of 522

Strange bedfellows
IMG_0893.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #502 of 522
Strange bedfellows
What a nice view!

If I had heard about Neve company's wrongdoings before buying it, I might have decided otherwise. I stumbled upon the RNHP when I was browsing a sellers (Thomann) website 3 years ago for new Headphone amplifier, and was struck by its simplicity and also its versatility, and they soundwise instantly convinced me by bettering a headphone I already exclusively used for five years and thought I'd known. But the RNHP made them excel more in the lower region. Like you: things I never heard before came not only to life but got apparent. I've got it merely by accident and secondly he excelled, which wins my loyalty.

The V550 only got pre-chosen by me because on top he provides pre-amplifier functionality resulting in the fact that he can address the RNHP by XLR. Unfortunately, he rivals the Grado GS3000X for being the one my hifi-budget is spent for, they both cost around €2.4k here, but only one can make it. First world problems, but I'd rather spend nothing then going below that quality wise.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #503 of 522

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #504 of 522
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #506 of 522
I only have the Geshelli DAC and RNHP in use but I want to get the Schiit Lokius on the balanced inputs.
In my view balanced transmission between DAC and headphone amplifier is absolutely desirable to have as an option. But also balanced output from the amp to a headphone is a win.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #508 of 522
I'm a professional recording engineer and have lots of familiarity with Rupert's work in this domain. For example, his old mic preamps are considered fantastic, but largely because of their unique "sound".

So, was curious, does this headphone amp have any particular "sound"? Punchy? Warm?
Can only address a few aspects. It gave my headphone (1990 pro) indeed more punch, if you consider lower frequencies. I wouldn't describe this amp as warm. Its resolution it's not fabulous to my ears. Other things I might have noticed subconsciously, bought him mostly because of his functionality, simple looking design. Later found some good reviews on the internet. Potentiometer is like turning a spoon in cream.
I have to look up the link for Power unit, which should better the sound of the Standard unit (Netzteil). Can provide it if you like.
Greetings!
I forgot: while switching the device off and Headphone is connected, pushes last sound snippets through the driver.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #509 of 522
Can only address a few aspects. It gave my headphone (1990 pro) indeed more punch, if you consider lower frequencies. I wouldn't describe this amp as warm. Its resolution it's not fabulous to my ears. Other things I might have noticed subconsciously, bought him mostly because of his functionality, simple looking design. Later found some good reviews on the internet. Potentiometer is like turning a spoon in cream.
I have to look up the link for Power unit, which should better the sound of the Standard unit (Netzteil). Can provide it if you like.
Greetings!
I forgot: while switching the device off and Headphone is connected, pushes last sound snippets through the driver.
That is super helpful. It confirms what I kinda suspected might be the case.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #510 of 522
That is super helpful. It confirms what I kinda suspected might be the case.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
One last annotation: the resolution might be above its price Point or at least that what you get for your money in this price range. For example, he cannot cope or transmit mojo2 resolution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back