Samsung EHS64AVFWEG IEM Review
May 19, 2016 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Samsung EHS64AVFWEG IEM Review

Most of us have been traumatized by the free IEMs they hand-out with phones. We get a new phone and plug in our favorite IEM at the time and move on. The Samsung Company has given out some pretty bad IEMs but around 2012 introduced the EHS64 which was a big departure in an improved sound quality. They have an online price anywhere from $6 to $25. Some of us have found the EHS44 IEMs with our new cell phones and the difference is night and day. These are not maybe as good as the Piston 3s or even other IEMS around now for $15, but they do offer a nice well rounded sound which may come as a surprise for many.

I found mine by accident in an old cellphone box I had and decided to just find out what they were capable of in the end.

After 50 hours of burn-in I decided to listen to them with 1912kbps/48kHz files up-sampled with a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. I was so impressed I just thought I would write this review.

They do really well with electronic music like the new Jean-Michel Jarre!

I maybe would not go out and get a pair of these online, but it would be wise to give a random found pair a try. Add a better set of tips on them and get them a good source, and you may be in for a small surprise? They really don't offer a heavy V signature but do a mid-centered and still fun character. The highs are detailed but do come-off slightly grainy at times. At higher volumes there is a good chance of getting a slight stridency of character and at times they seem to get just to the edge of a harsh treble. They walk that fine line very close to sibilance but stay on the better side, which is the main issue with cheap IEMs. If they don't have a painful treble, cheap IEMs always risk the foggy woolly distortions where there is just no detail at a certain point in the lower mids. Not a ton of bass here but they do not have any of that foggy woolly sound found in most bad budget IEMs. Just a bunch of mid detail and nice pace here.

We are never experiencing completely a strident high or heavy treble, still at the same time they offer a nice detail when given a good file and source playback device. The character of the IEMs seems to get better and better as you mentally get used to them.

In ending, don't throw these out! They end-up being a great second pair to have around and a joy to listen to.

Hopefully Samsung will continue to improve the included IEMs as time goes on.

Nice medium sound-stage
Unexpectedly great detail
Relatively flat response
None of that woolly distortion that cheap IEMs are known for
Free
Can be completely easy to fit with the right tips
Not a lot of bass but not too much either
Mid-centric and fun character
Stays in place
Take them where you would not go with your prize headphones or IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back