Samsung Note 8 vs LG V30
Sep 13, 2017 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Fox2twenty

Formerly known as iPhone IEM
So my screenname used to be iPhoneIEM. Because I like cell phone sources and in ear form factor.

I really want to get the new Note 8 because I like the Spen, but I keep hearing that the V30 is where it is at for audiophiles.

So basically, I want to know why the Note 8 will be a good source. Thanks. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 19
I've had the Note 6, the V10 and V20. The LGs both have been fantastic for audio. I could use them as a DAP both on the go and at home with no sacrifice in quality.

The Samsung was fine for streaming or on the go use. But for critical listening when I got home, I used a dac and amp connected to my laptop. The Samsung just didn't have the power or clarity, and there were times you could hear interference in the audio from the phone or charging.

If you're looking for a DAP replacement and good phone, then the LG is your best choice. If you're looking for an awesome phone with satisfactory sound, then the Note 8.

One other thing with the LG, the high resolution audio recording is awesome along with the manual camera settings. Samsung has a better "point and shoot" camera interface though.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 19
I've had most phones (look after work phones) and currently using a S8 but still have my Note 4. Was seriously considering the Note 8 until I saw the V30. The OLED, QUAD DAC and Wide Angle 2nd camera swing it for me. I never really use the S-Pen.

Only downside is I might have to actually buy a V30 as not one of the the LG phones usually on the EE corporate list (normally just G series).

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 19
Gotta say.........just picked up the Note 8 and have been putting it through the paces tonight. Really impressed with the performance once you use Adapt sound to customize for your hearing. Really detailed and dynamic with great soundstage and imaging etc. This using Periodic Audio BE IEM and comparing to Fiio Xiii. I will continue to play with it but if it performs like this then it could easily replace the Fiio for OTG with effiecient IEM.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 19
Gotta say.........just picked up the Note 8 and have been putting it through the paces tonight. Really impressed with the performance once you use Adapt sound to customize for your hearing. Really detailed and dynamic with great soundstage and imaging etc. This using Periodic Audio BE IEM and comparing to Fiio Xiii. I will continue to play with it but if it performs like this then it could easily replace the Fiio for OTG with effiecient IEM.
Wow! This is great news. Keep the impressions coming. :call_me:

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 19
Just picked up the v30 and omg! it puts v20 to shame. I actually preferred the v10 over the v20, but the v30 has sound settings for anything you throw at. I'm listening to my nt6 customs and the setting on the dac filter makes the imaging sound like open cans so spacious and pure. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 19
Just picked up the v30 and omg! it puts v20 to shame. I actually preferred the v10 over the v20, but the v30 has sound settings for anything you throw at. I'm listening to my nt6 customs and the setting on the dac filter makes the imaging sound like open cans so spacious and pure. Unbelievable.
Woah, that sounds incredible. What does the dac filter do?

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 19
Might go note 8 and get a portable player.
I watch a ton of YouTube videos daily and the screen on note 8 so tall, I can use spilt screen with YouTube on top and chrome on the bottom very comfortably after moving the spilt slider up to make the YouTube app the smallest it can be used in split app view. The chrome has almost the viewable screen area of a full size avg phone. BUT watching YouTube on the v30 the audio experiences are so good. If only I can make the YouTube app smaller while used in split screen mode on the v30 to really match the note 8 in viewable area for my chrome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back