DecentLevi

Headphoneus Supremus

ANNOUNCING BAY AREA LOCAL HEAD-FI MEET WINTER 2016

WHEN:    January 30th (Saturday)
               10:00am - 5:30pm

WHERE: "Dr. Roberto Cruz" Alum Rock Branch Library
               3090 Alum Rock Ave. 
               San Jose, CA 95127    map link

(after entering the library doors it's the huge room on your left before entering the main library area)

1. MAXIMUM CAPACITY: The official max. is 100 people. There are also many tables approx. 5' x 2' feet and 75 chairs, all of which can be folded & moved. This is enough space for 100 people standing / sitting but may be less for  table-seating

1. SET-UP / CLEAN UP: The doors open at 10am so feel free to come at this time to set up. Please start cleaning up by 5:00pm so we can leave by 5:30

1. PARKING: Free with big street-level library lot

1. ADMISSION: Free  (thanks for sharing the booking cost)

1. FOOD: Food is allowed, but not provided. Bring your own lunch or we can split the cost of catering. 
          There are also a Mexican restaurant, 2 pizza places and a Pho restaurant within 2 blocks walking.

Come one, come all! Make your audiophile dreams come true. Try any present source chain or a combination you can think of, with permission (see below). 

This will be held in the community event room of the San Jose Alum Rock library. This is a huge, plush, super nice room - not your traditional library conference room! And this is a totally separate room from the main library area, so you won't have any librarians telling you to keep it down, so long as talking is kept to a normal level. 

This is a public event, so that any library patrons are free to come in and join in. As many of their guests are teens, I personally see this as an opportunity to introduce the world of personal hi-fi audio to the younger generation - IMO it's best to start this journey early on. There will probably only be a couple extras to wonder in, but I would encourage any of you to invite them to listen to a rig and share a little insight for a moment.

This library is also equipped with thousands of music CDs of a diverse variety that can be used on your rig. However these will need to be checked out (for free) with a library card, which can be easily obtained for free with a Calif. ID.

This is like a pre-party to the official Can Jam near L.A.,happening March 19-20th, 2016. So for those of you who can't wait or won't get the chance to go, this is your chance to experience mid-fi, summit-fi and unique home-built gear, research and learn from brilliant members! Please post a message below if you plan to come, and the list of gear you would like to bring.

​

A COUPLE RULES:

Nametags
This is a local meet-up so these would not be needed, however I would like to kindly suggest that you would please bring some sort of paper, card or placard with your name or your Head-Fi name on it so your rig can be identified if you step away. This will also assist people to find who you are if they would like to ask permission to try your equipment. 

Permissions:
Generally, a rig is set up to be shared, so people should be able to try your rig when it's available. However if you prefer them to ask before touching anything, please indicate so on the nametag by your equipment. Exceptions must be made however for moving / reconfiguring anything. If you would like to borrow a headphone or swap DACs, please ask the owner permission first. Any revisions to this can be made with group consensus.

Theft / liability
Neither myself or the library are accountable for any possible theft or damage to your equipment. We encourage anybody that may notice something suspicious to say something. Look out for each other's items - such as somebody pocketing gear that you know does not belong to them: challenge them to ask them where they bought it, or report them to me or the library staff (who are in a separate area). Generally speaking however, there will be mostly genuine Head-Fi members who come to look into equipment upgrades, research, etc. who would never dream of doing anything that would jeopardize their standing in the community.

Fighting, etc.:
Anyone engaged in seriously disruptive behavior will lose the privilege to remain on premises.
(don't worry I haven't seen it yet at other meets)

Talking:
We will all be in one big room so please use a 'moderate' voice so that people can do critical listening.

A COUPLE FAQ's:​

Q: Can I bring a guest with me?
A: Yes feel free to bring up to 2 guests with you, no need for permission. Please post that you're coming however.

Q: Do I need to bring any gear?
A: No, please feel free to come and experience the exciting possibilities of 'what can be' in the world of hi-fi personal audio. We all start our journey somewhere, and almost any Head-Fi'er will be able to answer any questions if you're new to the hobby. It is recommended for most to bring gear however so we have something to try.

PS- Just call me Levi

List of gear and visitors: (tentative) 

@DecentLevi
  Project Ember tube amp with upgraded dual Visseaux tubes
  Stax/Koss ESP 950 electrostatic rig
  Gustard X12 DAC
  Liquid Carbon amp
  HD 650
  HP 100
  DT 880 and more
@bcschmerker4 (maybe)
@bazelio          (maybe)
  Zana Deux Super
  AGD NFB-1 AMP
  Mystique V2.0 DAC by Mojo Audio
  Ether-C

@TMoney
  Yggy DAC
  Crack 2 amp
@jazzfan       
  Chord MoJo
  iFi Audio Micro iDSD
  Parasound Zamp v.3
  HiFiMAN HE-6 (modded)
  beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO
  MrSpeakers Alpha Prime

@manywelps    Takstar Pro80
  Takstar Hi2050
  Brainwave HM5 (clone)
  Mad Dog 3.2
  SR-009
      Amps:
  Asgard 2
  NFB-15
  Mjolnir KGSS (BHPSU)
      Amp/DACs:
  AudioGD NFB-15
  Fiio E10
  X-Fi HD USB
      DACs:
  Bifrost Uber
  Sabre ESS9023 USB DAC
  Stoner UD120

@fotomeow
    HPs:
  HiFiMan HE560,
  LCD3,
  AKG K7XX
    DACs/amps:
  CDM portable DAC/tube amp from Alo Audio
    DAP: HiFiMan 901 DAP with modular amp 
  and more
@Packdemon His own unique custom modded Beyerdynamic headphones

@velvetx
@flyinsun 
  HD800
  DT990Pro
  AKG K3003
  B&O H8
  SONY PHA-3
  Burson Condutor (maybe)
@Rainstar
  Burson Conductor Virtuoso ESS 9018
  HD800 
  LCD 3F
  Fostex TH-X00
@leslie
  HD800
  Chord Hugo
  Fiio X3ii
  WA6SE (probably)
@fliz
  Stax SR-007 MKI
  eXemplar eXpo T105D  
bclark8923
  Geek Out V2 portable DAC/amp
@cary chin
  Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amp
  Marantz CD5004 CD player
@HeadAmpTeam
    Amps: 
  Blue Hawaii SE
  Aristaeus
  GS-X MkII
    Headphones:
  SR-009
  SR-007mkI
  HE-1000
  HE-560
  HD-800
  LCD-3f
  LCD-X
  LCD-XC
  TH-900
@Looopy
  Alpha Prime + DUM Cables (MrSpeakers)
  The Element (JDS Labs)
  Delta (Trinity Audio)
  E07k Andes (Fiio)

@stjj89

HE-560 (modded)
  Fostex TH900 (modded)
  Audio-GD DAC-19

@brencho (maybe)
  Liquid Carbon
  Bimby (Bifrost Multibit)
  Geek Out V2
  HD650
  LFF Slants
  LFF Code-X (hopefully)
  ZMF Omni (hopefully) 
@bhima
  IEMS: Yamaha eph100, Rock it r-50
  Koss portapro
  DT 770 
@maeveth 
@AtomikPi 
@chuckwheat 
@neilvg
   Headroom Blockhead amp
@drfindley (maybe)
  Eddie Current Black Widow
  Schiit Gungnir Miltibit (Gumby)
  HD800s with some very special mods 
@Bill-P
  modded Senn HD580
  Geek Out V2 Infinity 
@Sable
  SACDmods Sony SCD-C222ES
  Stax Lambda Pro / SRM1 MK2
  Stax Lambda Nova Classic / SRM3
  Fiio X5ii 
@jmht 
@NA Blur
  Grace Design m903
  HeadRoom BUDA
  Schiit Bifrost with 4490 Board
  HE-400i
  ATH-R70x
  Noontec Zoro II HD 
  IEMS: Brainwaves M1, S0, and Omega
@dpron 
@longster 
@3X0
  K845BT
  Q701
  FiiO X3II
  Mayflower O2/ODAC
@teros1 
@gnolnait 
@gancanjam
@SeaWo|f 
@Superfrag
  ATH A900LTD
  ATH M50
  JHAudio JH5 Pro 
  Phillips X2 
  Geek Out 450
@Hypnotic Rhythm
@Mr.Tom 
@gepardcv (maybe) 
@Tellyflubby
  Schiit Vali 1
  Schiit Vali 2 (Using the RCA 6CG7 Cleartops or an Amperex 6DJ8 PQ Orange)
  Schiit Modi 2(Regular)
  AKG K7XX
  Hifiman HE400S
  VMODA M-100
@mcluxun
Headphones:
  Thunderpants
  Turbulent-X lab grado
Amps:
  The wire
  modded singlepower squarewave 
 DACs:
  forrsell MDAC-2
  soekris R-2R
@F14sharky 

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 237
Thanks for the advance notice.  San José de Guadalupe is closer to my quarters than San Francisco, meaning less of a drive from East Contra Costa.  Still have to see about schedule conflicts....

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 237
Will I be out of town that weekend??? Darn, I think so!!!!
mad.gif

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 237
@aamefford
 awesome (if) you can finally join! You'll probably have some of the hottest gear

HUGE project in the shop thru February, but I'm the boss now, so I may be able. My gear is usually upper mid-fi is all. I may have an Ether or Ether C by then (ok, summit-fiI there), PM-1 and LC and Dac-19 are likely. I'm vacillating between a mojo and a audio-gd NFB-1 amp. Portable or another desktop. I can't decide… I really hope I can make it.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 237
I will try and make this one but its too far out to know for sure if I can make it. I'd be brining, at a minimum, the Crack 2 and Yggy.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 237
Sweet,

My schedule isn't built after December 31st, so who knows if I'm available! But, I would definitely like to come if I'm not working.

I could bring a Schiit Magni/Modi and Alpha Dogs if someone wants to provide a source...

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 237
We would like to have ya! Don't worry about bringing your Magni/Modi - there is guaranteed to be far greater source chains my friend! Please don't take this wrong - I started with the same Schiit Stack myself last year, and while I was happy with it, I've so far upgraded 3x to better amps / DACs, and there are still better out there. Suffice it to say that you may be astounded at what's possible in comparison. Feel free to bring it to compare if you would like though.

PS- yes we will have plenty of sources you can use, but it's best to bring your own music source.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 237
I'm up.

I have:
Headphones:
Takstar Pro80
Takstar Hi2050
Brainwave HM5 (clone)
Mad Dog 3.2
ESP-950 (out to Koss for repair atm Edit: it's coming back)(Sold to DecentLevi)
SR-009

Amps:
Asgard 2
NFB-15
Koss E/90(Sold to DecentLevi)
Stax SRM-1/MK2 Pro (Sold to DecentLevi)
Mjolnir KGSS (BHPSU)

Amp/DACs:
AudioGD NFB-15
Fiio E10
X-Fi HD USB

DACs: