Sansa Clip Zip + Amp or Fiio X1 or Fiio X3ii
Aug 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EagleWings

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I have been using a Shure 215 for the past three years and I wanted an upgrade. So I bought a Sennheiser IE80. I mostly use my Rockboxed Sansa as the source and my Macbook Pro otherwise. Between the 215s and the IE80s, although I find an improvement in SQ, it's not a day/night difference when using the Sansa or my Macbook. (And, Yes, the IE80s are authentic. Bought it from a Sennheiser authorized dealer and performed the authenticity check on the Sennheiser website).

I am inclined to believe that adding an amp to my current source or upgrading the DAP will kick the SQ up a notch. Should I just buy an amp or go for the Fiio X1? I am ready to pay an extra $100 more for the Fiio X3ii if the difference in SQ is going to be significant. I am also open to hearing out other options that you think might work. I tried getting info from other threads but looks like the A/B comparisons between the DAPs were done on full size headphones and not on IEMs.

I'd really appreciate your help and input.

Thank you!

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 10
If you get the X3 Gen II you can use it as a portable or plug it into a computer (Mac).

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 10
  If you get the X3 Gen II you can use it as a portable or plug it into a computer (Mac).

I would definitely go for the X3ii. More power, USB DAC capability, and more pocket friendly than a DAP/amp stack.

Thank you. I am leaning towards the X3ii now. Have you had the chance to listen to the X3ii on an IEM?

What is your total budget? Knowing this maybe we can steer you in another direction DAP wise. Buying used, might be able to look into Ibasso.

My total budget for the entire setup(IEM + DAP + Other Gear) was $350 - $400. And I already spent $285 on the IE80s. But I am willing to pay a little extra if it's going to be worth it. I did consider the DX50 too. I read in few places that X3ii has an edge over the DX50. And also it costs $40 more. Is it advisable to buy used electronics on the internet?

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 10

Thank you. I am leaning towards the X3ii now. Have you had the chance to listen to the X3ii on an IEM?

My total budget for the entire setup(IEM + DAP + Other Gear) was $350 - $400. And I already spent $285 on the IE80s. But I am willing to pay a little extra if it's going to be worth it. I did consider the DX50 too. I read in few places that X3ii has an edge over the DX50. And also it costs $40 more. Is it advisable to buy used electronics on the internet?

Hit the for sale trade section, find a used one, that's where I got my DX90.

Aug 24, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 10
The Zip should have plenty of power for the IE80s. Adding an amp to give more power shouldn't help, and you'll just be amplifying the headphone output from the Zip that you already hear.

The X1 should be an improvement.

The DX50s amplifier output is not well-suited for low impedance IEMs, and might do a bit better with higher impedance cans (based on what I have read). Otherwise, DX50 and X3 are a toss up. Given the low impedance and high sensitivity of your IEMs, I'd stick with the FiiOs.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 10
The Zip should have plenty of power for the IE80s. Adding an amp to give more power shouldn't help, and you'll just be amplifying the headphone output from the Zip that you already hear.

The X1 should be an improvement.

The DX50s amplifier output is not well-suited for low impedance IEMs, and might do a bit better with higher impedance cans (based on what I have read). Otherwise, DX50 and X3 are a toss up. Given the low impedance and high sensitivity of your IEMs, I'd stick with the FiiOs.

Thanks for letting me know. My IE80's soundstage is taking a hit. And I am guessing it is because of the source. Based on twister6's Fiio X3ii review (see link below), there seemed to be some improvement in overall SQ and Soundstage between the X1 and X3ii when tested with the IEMs:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/12774

Do you have any recommendations to improve the Soundstage on the IE80? I have ordered the Spiral Dots tips, which I believe should help with the SQ a little bit.

Thanks!

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Do you have any recommendations to improve the Soundstage on the IE80? I have ordered the Spiral Dots tips, which I believe should help with the SQ a little bit.

Changing the tips can affect soundstage.

But as for as DAPs and amps and DACs? One choice over another would be a minute soundstage at best.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 10
Changing the tips can affect soundstage.

But as for as DAPs and amps and DACs? One choice over another would be a minute soundstage at best.

Thanks for your input. I guess I will just get the Fiio X1 then.

Thank you everyone for your help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back