Schiit amps for the Mad Dogs W/ Alpha Pads
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JD1993

100+ Head-Fier
For the past month or so I've been planning to buy the Schiit Valhalla and the Bifrost. However, a friend informed me on how they didn't sound much different from the Magni and Modi, with the Mad Dogs. Is this really true? If not, which one is better? 

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 8
What headphones will you be using? A good headphone should allow you to differentiate between the various models in the lineup I believe.

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 8
From the Schiit Website.

"Can Valhalla drive my orthodynamic headphones?
Being polite: not a chance. Although Valhalla can deliver large voltages into high-impedance headphones, it cannot supply the current needed for low-efficiency, low-impedance orthodynamic headphones. If you have Audeze or HiFiMan headphones, look at Lyr. LCD-2s, HE-400s, and HE-500s are also efficient enough to be used with Asgard, if you’d like an all-solid-state option."

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 8
I haven't tried the Mad Dogs with the Valhalla, but I have used the Mad Dogs with Magni, Asguard 2, and the Lyr (GE Tubes).  I can say without question that the Mad Dogs sound better with the Lyrs than the other two.  More impact an and sparkle.  More intimate sound.  You'll note the Lyr is specifically designed for Orthos.  Based on my experience combined with the messaging on the Schiit site, I'd strongly recommend the Lyr to get the most of the Mad Dogs in this price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back