Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Apr 23, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #4,921 of 4,957
I've been told that studio monitors have an input impedance of, normally, 10k ohms and the Sys has an output impedance of maximum 5k ohms. They said the following:

Is this true? Even the Saga+ (in passive mode) has a maximum output impedance of 4.8k ohms.

You'd be using the Saga not in passive mode most likely. There are a few on B-Stock for $369. It would be a better choice for your use cases.

For $50, try the Sys to see if it meets your needs. The input of your active speakers may or may not be 10K ohms. Did you find out what the input impedance of your speakers is actually?

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #4,922 of 4,957
You'd be using the Saga not in passive mode most likely. There are a few on B-Stock for $369. It would be a better choice for your use cases.

For $50, try the Sys to see if it meets your needs. The input of your active speakers may or may not be 10K ohms. Did you find out what the input impedance of your speakers is actually?
I saw someone say 10k ohms but I can't find it officially.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #4,923 of 4,957
I saw someone say 10k ohms but I can't find it officially.

The point is it may be much higher than 10K ohms. The 5k ohm resistance of the Sys and likely the Saga passive mode is due to the volume pot.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #4,924 of 4,957
My system has a Bifrost 2 plugged in through a Saga S, and one of the Saga S outputs goes to some powered monitors. The difference between active and passive modes in my system is mainly just that the active mode is louder. The Sys will probably sound perfectly fine in your system. Since it's already on the way, I would definitely at least give it a try before looking for something else.

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #4,925 of 4,957
So, I ordered a Sys before knowing any of this info. It's already on the way. I contacted Schiit requesting them to cancel the order. However, they said that I'll have to pay the restocking fee (unless I purchase a product higher up on the line before they process my refund) and return shipping charges. They said I can't refuse the delivery and I'll have to ship it back on my cost. I live in Dubai and FedEx is quoting around $300 for shipping. I don't think it is worth returning if I have to pay for shipping myself.

So, what do I do? Keep it or try to sell it locally?
Keep it. It woild be a great present to one who does not -yet- know they want to spend lots of money on audio gear. :)

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #4,926 of 4,957
So, I ordered a Sys before knowing any of this info. It's already on the way. I contacted Schiit requesting them to cancel the order. However, they said that I'll have to pay the restocking fee (unless I purchase a product higher up on the line before they process my refund) and return shipping charges. They said I can't refuse the delivery and I'll have to ship it back on my cost. I live in Dubai and FedEx is quoting around $300 for shipping. I don't think it is worth returning if I have to pay for shipping myself.

For the cost, you'll find a use for the Sys. There has to be cheaper way to ship the Sys back.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #4,927 of 4,957
Keep it. It woild be a great present to one who does not -yet- know they want to spend lots of money on audio gear. :)
Yah, this.

And don’t forget you can use SYS in both directions, like if you want to switch 2 DACs into one amp, or split one DAC out to 2 amps.

It’s a very handy little device to have around, I’ve been surprised how much I use it testing out any new gear that comes across my desk.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #4,928 of 4,957

Set it up on your system and try it. You might find it isn't so horrible after all! :relaxed:

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #4,929 of 4,957
Guess I got lucky. Schiit accepted to cancel the order even though they had already shipped it.

1713968342438.png

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #4,930 of 4,957
I installed my Bifrost 2/64 module into Bifrost2 yesterday, after listened a while, I felt quite disappointed about the sound quality and signature, I felt all songs, music are lifeless, although it is a bit more resolution than Bifrost2 original, since I lived in Hong Kong, I think I cannot return the module, I will restore original DAC module, it is very good sound with lively and strong sound.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #4,931 of 4,957
Do give it some time ! I bought a Bifrost 2/64 and it took a couple of days to reach it's full potential. Now I will only wait untill I can afford a Yggy..

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #4,934 of 4,957
Same here. I received my Bifrost 2/64 on April 21, 2024 and has been left powered on since. I noticed massive improvement after 2-3 days from when I first powered it on and used it.

By the way, is it true I should leave it powered on 24/7?

I leave mine on 24/7. However if you live in stormy areas, I wouldn't risk blowing up the Bifrost to keep the best sound. You can certainly turn it on and off and have that optimal sound by 30 minutes of playback similar to tubes

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #4,935 of 4,957
I installed my Bifrost 2/64 module into Bifrost2 yesterday, after listened a while, I felt quite disappointed about the sound quality and signature, I felt all songs, music are lifeless, although it is a bit more resolution than Bifrost2 original, since I lived in Hong Kong, I think I cannot return the module, I will restore original DAC module, it is very good sound with lively and strong sound.
Give it 2 or 3 days first. You're used to the warm signature as opposed to the more technical 2/64. Higher resolution, better imaging and spacial representation. It's truly a treat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back