Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #92 of 4,960
How good is Bifrost 2 at soundstage in comparison to SU-8? I prefer SU-8 to Mimby because of large soundstage.

Compared to the multibit card, which is the same tech as Modi multibit, the Bifrost2 definitely has the better soundstage. The difference is not subtle; the BF2 is on another level completely, in every regard.

I don’t know how the SU-8 performs, though.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #93 of 4,960
Jason confirmed elsewhere that Bifrost 2 gets 8x sampling. Which I believe is the megacomboburrito filter that yggdrasil and Gungnir MB both have. To me this is one of the largest improvements made to the Bifrost 2, at least on paper.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #95 of 4,960
Is the filter in use for all bitrates, or do we have to set the Bifrost 2 to 16/44.1 in order to get the benefits of the filter?

My understanding is the filter is in play, but the higher the native resolution, the less it samples..

The yggy faq talks a about 8,4,2, and 1x sampling depending upon incoming resolution.

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

I believe 16/44.1 gets us to 8x with 4x,2x1xthe higher up we go in quality of source material.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #97 of 4,960
Open question about schiit bifrost 2:
If you could have a used gungnir mb gen5 A2 for about the same price as a brand new bifrost 2, what would you choose?
From what I have read, the gungnir is still a little bit better right?
Bifrost 2 definitely!

It has the new "Autonomy" design where the whole usb and dac circuit boards can be removed and swapped out, plus a sd card slot for firmware upgrades, definitely more future-proof.

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #98 of 4,960
I'd take Gungnir 2, but I like the design, and it's got 4 DAC chips vs 2.

But you also lose the remote, and user upgradeability. Tough call. Gungnir is likely to be updated at some point (my speculative opinion), so maybe see if you can get the price down more.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #100 of 4,960
Not gonna lie but the Bifrost 2 to my nearfield speakers pretty much killed my listening time with my portable IEMs ever since I received it. A good DAC with a decent entry level nearfield bookshelf speaker setup just blows away my Mojo -> Andromeda portable setup. Can't justify spending multikilobucks on IEMs that still sound worse than a common nearfield speaker found in a home studio

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #102 of 4,960
Reading through this thread, it seems to be the consensus that the Bifrost 2 is a significant upgrade from the Modi Multibit. In my system, I would be using the coaxial input and the SE output to a Lyr 3. Should I expect a clear improvement, or is that mostly related to the balanced output/upgraded USB input?

Sep 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #103 of 4,960
Reading through this thread, it seems to be the consensus that the Bifrost 2 is a significant upgrade from the Modi Multibit. In my system, I would be using the coaxial input and the SE output to a Lyr 3. Should I expect a clear improvement, or is that mostly related to the balanced output/upgraded USB input?

In short: I most definitely think so.
In a few more words: The improvement going from Lyr3 multibit card via USB to instead Bifrost2 via USB and on to Lyr3 by RCA is significant. I don’t know how much of the improvement is due to Unison USB vs gen2 and how much is the better multibit tech, but I suspect the better multibit capability of the BF2 is the most contributing factor.

Sep 21, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #105 of 4,960
Is Bifrost supposed to run as hot as the Mjolnir?
well Multibit runs a bit warm. My Gungnir gets warm, won't say hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back