Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 9, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #4,381 of 4,957
I'm absolutely done with Schiit as a company after all the struggles I've had with USB DAC connectivity with MacOS. I'm done. I can't imagine ever recommending anyone buy a product from a company that won't fix BASIC connectivity.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #4,382 of 4,957
I'm absolutely done with Schiit as a company after all the struggles I've had with USB DAC connectivity with MacOS. I'm done. I can't imagine ever recommending anyone buy a product from a company that won't fix BASIC connectivity.
I've had a Modi+, Modius E and Bifrost 2/64 all in the last couple months and have had zero issues with connectivity with my M1 max macbook pro running the latest MacOS. Maybe just some bad luck with your particular unit.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,383 of 4,957
I've had a Modi+, Modius E and Bifrost 2/64 all in the last couple months and have had zero issues with connectivity with my M1 max macbook pro running the latest MacOS. Maybe just some bad luck with your particular unit.
Been my experience as well. In fact, dealing with Shiit has been very easy. I even had a stack like yours. I've had a tendency to buy something, have second thoughts, send it back, and then order it again. This happened several times with my Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Jotunheim. I'm happy and keeping the units now, but none of the equipment ever had a problem. My current stack is rock solid with my MacBook Pro M1.
IMG_2341.jpeg

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #4,384 of 4,957
Been my experience as well. In fact, dealing with Shiit has been very easy. I even had a stack like yours. I've had a tendency to buy something, have second thoughts, send it back, and then order it again. This happened several times with my Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and Jotunheim. I'm happy and keeping the units now, but none of the equipment ever had a problem. My current stack is rock solid with my MacBook Pro M1.
@GunnySack, If possible could you please send me the screenshot of the power cord head for schiit bifrost2/64. Attached the sample pic need to identify which one is sent by Schiit

Attachments

• IMG_24671.jpeg
    IMG_24671.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #4,385 of 4,957
Care to elaborate what the issues are?

I've had a Bifrost2 for 2.5 years, and the only issues I can recall using 3 different Macs have been related to a specific app misbehaving rather than MacOS itself. 99.99% of the time it has been rock solid and I never even think about it.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #4,386 of 4,957
So I have two BF2 OGs, one with red PCB and the other with green PCB. Maybe it's my brain but I found the green PCB BF2 to sound a bit brighter and a bit less warm than the red one. The green PCB has all Würth Elektronik capacitors while the red one is using Nichicons. I feel like they're two different DACs.
OG red.PNGOG green.PNG
Thanks for sharing this. I showed this to someone with a BF2/64 and he picked up both versions of the BF2 OG cards. And his observations align with more or less of what you have described and he is preferring the Nichicon version now.

I had a similar experience with the Rockna Wavelight. When my impression of the DAC didn’t match up with my friends’, what we found was that our units had different caps.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #4,387 of 4,957
I’m sorry to hear about your troubles.

I’m a MacBook Pro 16 inch (late 2015) and now M1 user and I have had no problems at all with USB connectivity on my Schiit gear. That includes various Modis, Bifrost2 (OG) and Gungnir.

I did once have a problem with the DAC sporadically disconnecting and reconnecting making the sound drop out for a few seconds before coming back. That turned out being my USB cable having gone bad on me and replacing the cable with a new one solved the issue. You’ve probably checked that already, but in case you haven’t, try a different suitably rated cable (I would stay away from the cheapest Amazon ones though).

If that doesn’t help, get in touch with Schiit and they’ll help you. That is one of the reasons I keep buying from them - I know they’ll do their best to help and fix any issues, including repairs if needed.

Jul 10, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #4,388 of 4,957
Thanks for sharing this. I showed this to someone with a BF2/64 and he picked up both versions of the BF2 OG cards. And his observations align with more or less of what you have described and he is preferring the Nichicon version now.

I had a similar experience with the Rockna Wavelight. When my impression of the DAC didn’t match up with my friends’, what we found was that our units had different caps.
It's also the same with the Modius. As for the Bifrost 2, you should tell that person to try with the filter off. I actually like the red board with the filter on and the green with filter off.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #4,389 of 4,957
Sorry to hear this. I've had a MacOS setup for some time and have zero issues, but it appears that your experience is much different. Anyway, good luck in your hifi journey!

Leo

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #4,391 of 4,957
Here you go.
Thanks alot for the response,

Not this, the wall plug - 3 pin which you insert into mains supply. please help to send the picture of that

Jul 10, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,393 of 4,957
Thanks alot for the response,

Not this, the wall plug - 3 pin which you insert into mains supply. please help to send the picture of that
You’re asking someone who appears to be from the US - his will look like the standard IEC plug for 110/120v power we use in the states. You need to find someone with the 230v version for this information.

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #4,395 of 4,957
That's a big surprise. Particularly if you've contacted Schiit about the problem.

I've had a Modi MB, Bifrost 4490, and Bifrost MB (with Unison) connected to a 2010 Mac mini without any problems.

I've had the two Multibit DACs above plus a Modi 3, Modi MB2, and a Bifrost 2/64 connected to a 2020 Mac book Air M1 without any problems also.

I've had all three Modis and a Bifrost 4490 connected to a Sonos Connect without any problems as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back