Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC w/USB GEN5 Upgrade
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

ZenGentleman

New Head-Fier
Quick initial impressions regarding sonic improvements following the USB GEN5 upgrade, having just picked up my upgraded Bimby yesterday from the Schiit warehouse after 5 days of withdrawal symptoms. It replicates much of the improvement I saw when I added the Wyrd USB Decrapifier last year, which this upgrade makes obsolete. The new USB GEN5 upgrade adds incremental improvements in the following areas: increased air, articulation, and added body with a noticeable extension in the bottom end. As always, YMMV.

Unsolicited opinion: If you aren't using a Wyrd, or some other similar device, this upgrade for $150 (plus tax and shipping) is well worth the cost for the audible improvement in sound. If you are using a Wyrd-like device the improvements are more subtle and, depending on your wallet, perhaps not as an immediately necessary upgrade.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 67
Well, I have had a few days with the new Bimby with its Gen USB implementation....so far its working very well.

I have compared the usb input to both digital inputs and they sound very, very close to me in performance and how they "sound".

The usb nows shows up as USB Gen 5 Speakers in the playback settings of Win 10. Thought it should be Headphones Gen 5 USB but Schiit indicates this is ok, normal and how its enumerated...it doesnt affect the operation or sound.

USB input with the Bimby is about as good as it gets.....Gen 5 is a winner IMO here and I am satisfied with its performance, ease of use and setup.

Back to the music!
Alex

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 67
I finally took the time and hooked up my Bimby to my 2ch stereo setup...after a few months of headphone only listening it was time to place the Bimby into my Salk Songtowers setup, using a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp and a Van Alstine Preamp....

I started the session wondering how well this new dac would work with this setup...well in one word it was superb!

I was pleasantly surprised how good the bass, vocals and overall clarity improved over my other DS dacs.

I am totally satisfied with this setup...I have stopped looking for the next best thing, IMO this as good as it gets in this price level...and several prices ranges above.

The only thing is moving the Bimby physically from one setup to another....would be nice to have a second Bimby!! Ha!

Alex

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 67
That's why I exclusively use my Bimby on my computer speaker setup rather than headphones. Speakers showcase Bimby's strengths more than headphones for me

Aug 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 67
With real good headphones the difference is very well discerned...with some of the lessar ones not so much...I use Beyer T1's 2nd gen now almost exclusively
when listening with cans....all my others are just sitting there on their stands hardly ever used..time to sell some of them I guess.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 67
How long did it take everyone to receive notice that the work was completed? My Bimby arrived to Schiit last Thursday and I have received no communication from Schiit. I emailed them yesterday and still no response. I'm growing impatient. :frowning2:

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 67
I sent Schitt a tracking number when I shipped it. When It was received at Schitt with the RMA number on the outside, I sent them another email telling them it was received. In both occaisions I got a thank you email in return on that day.

I didn't get any work done...I bought a new one, and was re-imbursed for the one I sent back...I got credited in my credit card account about a week after it was received by Schiit.

If you sent one back to Schiit to get reworked depending on the USB Gen 5 boards it might take some time....I haven't looked into this because its not what I actually did...I bought my Bifrost MB within a short time of the Gen 5 announcement and was offered an exchange....

If you don't get a reply in a day or two, just send them another one, politely asking for the status...

Good luck
Alex

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 67
The Schiit HQ is relatively local for me, so I dropped off my Bifrost Multibit for the Gen5 USB upgrade and picked it up 3 days later. My email communications with them throughout the process were always responded to "same day." They've always had fantastic customer service and quick responses in my experience over the past 18 months of owning several of their products.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 67
Thanks for the feedback on the Gen 5 USB upgrade for the Bimby. I've been on the fence as to whether to send mine in or not but given Schiit has architected the BiFrost for relatively easy upgradability, I guess I should take advantage of it.

I see they offer a less-expensive option to send you the board to do the installation yourself if you are experienced with electronics. I assume there is no soldering involved? Has anyone done this option yet to their BiFrost?

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 67
I installed the GEN 5 board myself, no soldering involved. Small phillips head screw driver. Pull the old USB board straight up to remove and push the new board straight down making sure the pins on the USB board are lined up with the holes on the biforst board itself. Only difficuly was installing the LED lights back in their proper position when putting everything back together. If I can install it so can you.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 67
... Only difficuly was installing the LED lights back in their proper position when putting everything back together ...
Installation complete, wasn't too bad at all if you take your time and are careful. ALL outer screws had to be removed. Some screws are longer than others so I kept track of where each screw came from. You're right, getting the LEDs back into position was a bit of a pain but with some coaxing they go back in. The input selector is held in by gravity and for good visibility to the LEDs it seemed easiest to put the board back into the shell with the front panel down. Get it lined up, screw the board bottom back to the shell, slide in the liner, screw in the back screws and then the remainder of the outer shell screws. Mac recognizes it as "Bifrost Gen 5". First track with new Gen 5 USB input: "I Need You Tonight" by ZZ Top ... sounds good! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 67
im looking to upgrade to the bimby sometime soon hopefully. How would a modi 2U compare with bimby?

has schiit had any black friday offers ever goin on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back