Schiit Eitr impression and USB-SPDIF converters discussion
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #526 of 1,112
:frowning2: hoped that I could save money on the USB cable. Is the Schiit PYST usb cable sufficient?

USB cables do not make a difference. As long as it's manufactured to the USB standard spec (which the vast majority are), it'll sound the same as any "audiophile" USB cable. Same goes for Coax cables.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #527 of 1,112
USB cables do not make a difference. As long as it's manufactured to the USB standard spec (which the vast majority are), it'll sound the same as any "audiophile" USB cable. Same goes for Coax cables.

I Disagree....

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #528 of 1,112
I Disagree....

As is your right. I'm not going to get into it as this isn't the forum. All I'll say (to the person I was originally replying to) is use your head, do your homework and don't obsess over the USB and coax cables.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #531 of 1,112
They most definitely DO make a difference.

And I would just love to see one iota of evidence to support that assertion but...

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #532 of 1,112
I don't know if PYST cables are complying the 75 ohm specification of the SPDIF coax connection. You should ask Schiit about that. In previous pages people are recommending Blue Jeans cables, they are cheap and sounds good so you might wanna check that one out too. As for USB cable, any USB cables with ferrite cores should be sufficient. My $7 USB cable sounds the same as my $100 audiophile-grade 6N OCC USB cable on the Eitr.
The poster was actually asking about the PYST USB cable, but FWIW I did ask Schiit about using the PYST RCA cable for the Eitr coaxial connection. It's not 75 ohm and they do not recommend it for the Eitr. I'm using the Blue Jeans Belden coax, the flexible one which costs slightly more with a small decrease in performance (which is probably negligible in the one foot length I'm using). I got the flexible cable since I connect/detach it daily as I move the Mimby between my laptop and Eitr and my TV/Blu-ray which uses a direct coaxial or Toslink connection.

Jan 11, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #533 of 1,112
The poster was actually asking about the PYST USB cable, but FWIW I did ask Schiit about using the PYST RCA cable for the Eitr coaxial connection. It's not 75 ohm and they do not recommend it for the Eitr. I'm using the Blue Jeans Belden coax, the flexible one which costs slightly more with a small decrease in performance (which is probably negligible in the one foot length I'm using). I got the flexible cable since I connect/detach it daily as I move the Mimby between my laptop and Eitr and my TV/Blu-ray which uses a direct coaxial or Toslink connection.
Yeah my bad, I thought he asked about the coax cable. Regarding the PYST coax cable for the Eitr, no wonder some posters on other forum claiming an improvement in SQ when compared to much pricier AudioQuest Coffee/Diamond, the PSYT is not even 75 ohm in the first place.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #534 of 1,112
Thank you guys for your responses.OK so I will now stick with the schiit PYST USB cable and order a good quality coax cable. For the Schiit PYST rca cable I already thought that they won’t be usable.

But again: is it true that with using Eitr the coax cable is more important because It will transport the cleaned reclocked signal whereas USB cable is before Eitr and therefore not that important as Eitr will improve the signal anyway?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #535 of 1,112
For the Schiit PYST rca cable I already thought that they won’t be usable.
Its still usable, but its not optimal. I've tried using a regular rca cable to the EItr, it just doesn't sound as good with a good 75 ohm impedance coax cable.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #536 of 1,112
Its still usable, but its not optimal. I've tried using a regular rca cable to the EItr, it just doesn't sound as good with a good 75 ohm impedance coax cable.

I can hear differences with digital coax especially. Had auditioned a couple from The Cable Co. Went with a BlackCat Silverstar 75! (also have Chris' earlier Stereovox XV-2).

For USB, tried some generics (stock as supplied with different gear) and could hear slight differences between these. Ultimately decided NOT to spend a lot and got a pure silver Pangea Ag USB from Audio Advisor and later an Audioquest Pearl (pure copper).

Audition some from The Cable Co. and buy used if you can.

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #538 of 1,112

I've standardized on Tripp Lite cables with ferrites. They are officially USB 2.0 certified (which many audiophile cables are actually not...), cheap (like $2 more than a commodity cable and cheaper than PYST), and offer some external RF interference in case there's any.... Other people feel differently, but I feel that every piece of audio gear I've owned in the past 5 yrs with USB has pretty good isolation on the USB input side (not true for S/PDIF yet, so for digital cables, I focus more effort on S/PDIF)....

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #539 of 1,112
As is your right. I'm not going to get into it as this isn't the forum. All I'll say (to the person I was originally replying to) is use your head, do your homework and don't obsess over the USB and coax cables.
I hate cables, they basically cause gear to interact electrically in ways that can affect sound. We don't have much of a workaround with analog interconnects but if distance and connection needs allow
this device takes you from a USB cable into whats basically a PCB extension between two pieces of gear. If your source gear is good enough that you can hear meaningful differences in USB cables, I highly recommend it, at $35
it's less than half of what it costs for other cables i have tried and discarded.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #540 of 1,112
I hate cables, they basically cause gear to interact electrically in ways that can affect sound. We don't have much of a workaround with analog interconnects but if distance and connection needs allow
this device takes you from a USB cable into whats basically a PCB extension between two pieces of gear. If your source gear is good enough that you can hear meaningful differences in USB cables, I highly recommend it, at $35
it's less than half of what it costs for other cables i have tried and discarded.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter
If I use another cheap USB cable with the USPCB since that it is so short, does that render USPCB useless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back