Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #6,781 of 7,182
Good- I’ll start with USB. I will also look at a linear lower supply. Just gotta pay the premium on an RPI 4. 🥲
@ScrapIron

The use of a Linear Power Supply even for the RPi 4 will improve the audio quality even further. In case you move for the PI2AES LITE later, you will use the same LPS.

I did a mistake related to the ghentaudio DC connector cable. I corrected it in the original message also. Forgive me.
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc29.html

QJA

Marcos

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #6,782 of 7,182
I have a RPI 4b with Allo DigiOne HAT and iFi Power supply on the way. Will look for a LPS in the future.

I’ll begin with USB then see if BNC is any different/better/worse.

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #6,784 of 7,182
@ScrapIron
I am observing that you are experiencing a similar situation when I started to use a streamer in my system. I would like to share the steps of my journey with you.

1) Rpi4 (USB) + Low profile cooler: https://geekworm.com/products/raspb...e-compatible-with-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-only
2) Add a Pi2AES (BNC)
3) Add a 24V Linear Power Supply

In all these steps I had an improvement in the audio quality. In the step 1) It took me some time to learn how to setup properly the RPi OS and the streaming services. (Currenty I am using MoOde).

Another options to consider are two new streamers on the market that are more expensive, but it will make your journey easier and with better sound quality.
a) Mercury V2 - https://www.pi2design.com/mercury-streamer-v2.html
b) HoloAudio Red - https://www.kitsunehifi.com/product/holoaudio-red-ddc-network-streamer/

Gungnir is a great DAC and it needs to have a good streamer to demonstrate its full potential.

An excellent and less expensive alternative to a Pi-based streamer is the WiiM Pro. I liked my first one so much I got a second. One is hooked up to my Gungnir via coax and works with it exquisitely. The other is connected via Toslink to a set of Vanatoo speakers. Things I like:
  • Bit-perfect rendering of lossless and high-res Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon UHD via AlexaCast (as well as lossless Internet radio feeds).
  • Good mobile app. While not yet perfect, it's being improved relentlessly.
  • Support for Chromecast protocol.
  • API for integration into home automation, web interface, etc.
  • Multiroom capability.
Wish list:
  • USB output. Current model has S/PDIF via digital coax and Toslink.
  • Not so much on WiiM as on Apple. Despite WiiM support for ALAC and Airplay 2, I wish Apple would enable direct streaming (Tidal- or Spotify-Connect style) directly from their service.
I think WiiM is close to making the Pro Roon-ready and improving MQA support, but neither of those are factors for me.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #6,785 of 7,182
Hi Schiitizens,

I have bought brand new Gungnir, and I wonder, if there is any benefit of using it together with HQ Player, for resampling to 192k? Or MCB filter makes it useless?
If someone has good results with HQ Player, it would be great to share HQ Player settings.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #6,786 of 7,182
Hi Schiitizens,

I have bought brand new Gungnir, and I wonder, if there is any benefit of using it together with HQ Player, for resampling to 192k? Or MCB filter makes it useless?
If someone has good results with HQ Player, it would be great to share HQ Player settings.

Thanks!
Try it both ways and post your thoughts.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #6,787 of 7,182
Hi Schiitizens,

Thanks!
Just remember, one of the things your paid for when you bought the Gungnir was the MCB filter. I don't think there's a filter in hqplayer that can recreate it. I'd personally be surprised if any equaled or surpassed it. AIUI, hqplayer really shines with overcoming problems with filtering on delta sigma DACs.

But, yeah, what @macdonjh said.

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #6,788 of 7,182
Hey y'all. So I was doing some digging around various Schiit head-fi threads reading about Schiit's unison USB and the upcoming Schiit Urd CD transport. I stumbled upon a post from from Mike Moffet where he talks about his preference for 'destination clocks' i.e. when data is clocked at the destination (in the DAC). This is one reason why he prefers USB as a connection from source to DAC. He then states the following:
So at some point in our Schiit, newer products and upgrades for our higher end products will feature the best, rock solid clocks at our DACs where they kick the most ass.
This begs the question. Was there any upgrade to the clock in the Gungnir sometime around (or after) this time? Would this have been a part of the unofficial revision of Gungnir that differentiated an A1 gungnir from an A2? I am considering buying the transport and considering sending my Gungnir (2019 model with a B serial number (assuming this is an A2) in for the Unison USB upgrade. I know it's a trivial consideration but just something that has been in the back of my mind. Thoughts?

Edit: I'll probably send this question into Schiit directly but I thought I'd get some insight here first.

Edit: FYI - I was able to confirm that the Unison USB upgrade contains it's own VCXO

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #6,789 of 7,182
Have an Anthem AVM 70, which uses ESS DACs. Plugged ye olde Gumby into it last night, turned off the AVM's digital features and, better, just slightly.

Would probably be even better if the AVM took XLR in. Right now using an XLR->RCA cable.

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #6,790 of 7,182
Hey y'all. So I was doing some digging around various Schiit head-fi threads reading about Schiit's unison USB and the upcoming Schiit Urd CD transport. I stumbled upon a post from from Mike Moffet where he talks about his preference for 'destination clocks' i.e. when data is clocked at the destination (in the DAC). This is one reason why he prefers USB as a connection from source to DAC. He then states the following:

This begs the question. Was there any upgrade to the clock in the Gungnir sometime around (or after) this time? Would this have been a part of the unofficial revision of Gungnir that differentiated an A1 gungnir from an A2? I am considering buying the transport and considering sending my Gungnir (2017 model with a B serial number (assuming this is an A2) in for the Unison USB upgrade. I know it's a trivial consideration but just something that has been in the back of my mind. Thoughts?

Edit: I'll probably send this question into Schiit directly but I thought I'd get some insight here first.
Not sure if my experience (and others) is pertinent to what you're asking but the Gungnir will put up a fuss when a CD is paused using certain CD transports (see discussion starting around page 269/270 & 382). Using a Cambridge CXC transport, when my Gungnir with A1 board arrived a few months ago I found that it clicked INSANELY while discs were paused. After googling the problem I found the discussion on this thread and if I had known about it prior, I maybe would have re-thought my purchase of the Gungnir. Since I had just received the Gungnir (in mint condition) and I really liked the CXC, I went with the recommendation of adding a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker (and added a Swagman LPS) and VOILA! No more insane clicking! And beleive me, living without being able to pause CDs is a pain which you don't realize until you can't! And not only was the clicking gone but the soundstage got wider & better defined and the top end got more "relaxed" sounding without giving up any air or spatial qualities. If anything, spacial qualities were better. As results will typically vary, you can see below what I'm using as a small (modest) CD-based system.

So, again, I'm not sure if it's pertinent but I thought I'd share my experience.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #6,791 of 7,182
Well, after a month or so, my Gungnir moved out. Similar to artur9 I found that my Anthem AVR's internal DAC is only slightly worse than the Gumby. I was surprised. Had others listen and remark that it was very close. I didn't feel like I needed to tie up $ for an external DAC and used those funds to get a Rega P3. The Gumby did provide more 'air' and transparency to music/voices and a little better imaging. However, when I went straight into the AVR, I noticed when listening to music, even as background, my toes were tapping. I didn't get that with the Gungnir. Could be me, could be my system.

Using a Allo DigiOne transport via RCA (Cerious Graphene Extreme Digital) into the Anthem.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #6,792 of 7,182
Well, after a month or so, my Gungnir moved out. Similar to artur9 I found that my Anthem AVR's internal DAC is only slightly worse than the Gumby. ... The Gumby did provide more 'air' and transparency to music/voices and a little better imaging. However, when I went straight into the AVR, I noticed when listening to music, even as background, my toes were tapping. I didn't get that with the Gungnir. ...
In my case, my Gumby is "spare" so no added expense.

I sort of have this dream of Modi MB and Rekkr/Gjallarhorn everywhere....

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #6,793 of 7,182
Well, after a month or so, my Gungnir moved out. Similar to artur9 I found that my Anthem AVR's internal DAC is only slightly worse than the Gumby. I was surprised. Had others listen and remark that it was very close. I didn't feel like I needed to tie up $ for an external DAC and used those funds to get a Rega P3. The Gumby did provide more 'air' and transparency to music/voices and a little better imaging. However, when I went straight into the AVR, I noticed when listening to music, even as background, my toes were tapping. I didn't get that with the Gungnir. Could be me, could be my system.

Using a Allo DigiOne transport via RCA (Cerious Graphene Extreme Digital) into the Anthem.
Well I suppose Gungnir is getting to be quite the old design. I've seen a number of reviews where the new Bifrost 2/64 is preferred over Gungnir MB. I ordered a 2/64 when it was released and compared it to my Gungnir. It wasn't an in depth comparison however I preferred the Gungnir and returned the 2/64. I'm really just holding my breathe to find out what Schiit decides to do with the product. They'll either keep it around (in which case it is due for an upgrade (or design overhaul for that matter) or they'll discontinue it. I personally think they should keep it around for a few reasons: 1) to bridge the gap between a $799 Bifrost and a $2,299 Yggdrasil; 2) the form factor; 3) it's fully balanced. I suppose it will come down to whether Schiit can manage a similar upgrade to that of the new Yggy+ chassis overhaul. Jason did mention recently that they have secured orders for TI DSPs. I'm certain that there is a TON of new things that keep them fully occupied (much of which is many years in the making) however hopefully we can learn the fate of Gungnir before too long.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #6,794 of 7,182
Well I suppose Gungnir is getting to be quite the old design. I've seen a number of reviews where the new Bifrost 2/64 is preferred over Gungnir MB. I ordered a 2/64 when it was released and compared it to my Gungnir. It wasn't an in depth comparison however I preferred the Gungnir and returned the 2/64. I'm really just holding my breathe to find out what Schiit decides to do with the product. They'll either keep it around (in which case it is due for an upgrade (or design overhaul for that matter) or they'll discontinue it. I personally think they should keep it around for a few reasons: 1) to bridge the gap between a $799 Bifrost and a $2,299 Yggdrasil; 2) the form factor; 3) it's fully balanced. I suppose it will come down to whether Schiit can manage a similar upgrade to that of the new Yggy+ chassis overhaul. Jason did mention recently that they have secured orders for TI DSPs. I'm certain that there is a TON of new things that keep them fully occupied (much of which is many years in the making) however hopefully we can learn the fate of Gungnir before too long.
Sad to report this, but it's on hiatus, perhaps forever. Jason just confirmed this in his Schiit Happened thread. There were a few on closeout this morning on Schiit's site, so if you want one, better hurry. Snooze and lose, etc.

The only way I can see it -- more like its successor -- coming back is in a limited run to accompany the Mjolnir 3's limited run. Same form factor and would make a terrific endgame combo. However, odds are that the Gungnir is dead and won't be resurrected.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #6,795 of 7,182
Jason also said it would be a couple years if it came back. So that means they are not even working on an upgrade. It does leave a gap in the lineup in chassis size and price.

But if it didn't sell well enough then I see them walking away from it. People probably either stepped up to Yggy or down to BF2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back