Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2,131 of 7,161
I have the Wyrd on my radar and have for some time. I think that initially I felt that it was not for me because I don't have issues with jitter or noise over usb. BUT...I keep hearing that people are getting better low level details regardless using Wyrd, so it may need to be something that I have to try. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,132 of 7,161
  I have the Wyrd on my radar and have for some time. I think that initially I felt that it was not for me because I don't have issues with jitter or noise over usb. BUT...I keep hearing that people are getting better low level details regardless using Wyrd, so it may need to be something that I have to try. 

Initially I bought because I'm running a 10 foot USB from my mac to DAC. I wasn't getting dropouts, but did hear occasional noise. The Wyrd cleard that right up and added bonus for me, the presentation just seems a bit clearer over all. Very happy with it. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #2,134 of 7,161

Initially I bought because I'm running a 10 foot USB from my mac to DAC. I wasn't getting dropouts, but did hear occasional noise. The Wyrd cleard that right up and added bonus for me, the presentation just seems a bit clearer over all. Very happy with it. 

That's interesting. A 10-foot USB cable will work on my GMB about 20% of the time and then just drops out and loses the connection for good until I reboot my PC. Going back to a 6-foot cable fixed that, but it's interesting the Wryd helps out a longer cable. Hmmm...

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #2,135 of 7,161
I will be using the Wyrd with my Gumby. Will report back whenever the Gumby arrives. Shipped it in last week for MB goodness.

My understanding is that the value of the Wyrd kinda depends on your whole system, not just which DAC you're using.  So a Wyrd may help you but have no effect for someone else even if you're both using the same DAC.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2,136 of 7,161

That's interesting. A 10-foot USB cable will work on my GMB about 20% of the time and then just drops out and loses the connection for good until I reboot my PC. Going back to a 6-foot cable fixed that, but it's interesting the Wryd helps out a longer cable. Hmmm...

It's not ideal, they (Schiit) recommend you use no longer than 2 meter cables ideally. But, the longer cable and the Wyrd is working for me, no issues at all. 

My understanding is that the value of the Wyrd kinda depends on your whole system, not just which DAC you're using.  So a Wyrd may help you but have no effect for someone else even if you're both using the same DAC.

It can depend a lot on how good the USB card/chipset in your DAC is. The CMedia ones that Schiit uses are quite good. I've had a DAC in the past with a Tenor USB card in it that seemed weaker and cut out a lot more. 

IMO, if I'm running USB, I'm running the Wyrd no matter what from now on. It just primes the connection for me so I don't have to worry about it at all. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #2,137 of 7,161
Hi everyone,

I use not one, not two, but THREE WYRDs in my main system! 

OK, so I am using a two PC setup running JPlay. The audio PC feeds a PeachTree 24/192 USB/SPDIF converter. I originally tried one WYRD, and the improvement was NIGHT and DAY. I immediately heard a lower noise floor, more detail and focus, and things just seemed to gel as a whole much better. I then tried a second one back to back and things got a little better still. Then I tried a third, and it was ever so slightly better. A fourth one did not yield any improvements.
   The WYRD reminds me of the Theta Timebase Linque Conditioner which was essentially a jitter reducer inline with the digital cable and that unit WITH the high current power supply option was mind-blowing how much it improved people's systems.

-TRQ

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,138 of 7,161
  Hi everyone,

OK, so I am using a two PC setup running JPlay. The audio PC feeds a PeachTree 24/192 USB/SPDIF converter. I originally tried one WYRD, and the improvement was NIGHT and DAY. I immediately heard a lower noise floor, more detail and focus, and things just seemed to gel as a whole much better. I then tried a second one back to back and things got a little better still. Then I tried a third, and it was ever so slightly better. A fourth one did not yield any improvements.
   The WYRD reminds me of the Theta Timebase Linque Conditioner which was essentially a jitter reducer inline with the digital cable and that unit WITH the high current power supply option was mind-blowing how much it improved people's systems.

-Randy

Do you mean you run 3 Wyrd's inline in the same USB line? This seems sorta over the top OCD and frankly I sorta doubt doing this would make a difference. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,139 of 7,161

Do you mean you run 3 Wyrd's inline in the same USB line? This seems sorta over the top OCD and frankly I sorta doubt doing this would make a difference. 

I believe he's using 3 or 4 Gungnirs in his system.

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,140 of 7,161

I believe he's using 3 or 4 Gungnirs in his system.

Wouldn't that be kind of expensive? 
blink.gif
  I'd take one yggy any day over multiple GMB's. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,141 of 7,161

Wouldn't that be kind of expensive? 
blink.gif
  I'd take one yggy any day over multiple GMB's. 

He's got some crazy speaker setup with different DAC's driving different frequency ranges and manual crossovers and stuff.  You can go read about it in the Schiit Show impressions thread.  It's way over my head.  lol

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #2,142 of 7,161
Hi everyone,

-Randy

How do you split the digital audio signal coming out of your computer over USB? Do you ever have timing issues?

Aug 24, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #2,143 of 7,161
Multibit Gungnir has landed. After an hour or so of warm up, I already prefer it to my Bryston BDA-2. More air, more detail, firmer bass and basically more enjoyable. Very curious to see what it sounds like after a few days.

MacBook Pro > USB > GMB > Ragnarok > LCD-X

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #2,144 of 7,161
Exciting day for me. Just receive Gungnir Multibit, my first Schiit. It's been 2.5 hrs connected to Soloist > LCD2 r2. Received Ether too, but was disappointed with the quality control. Trying to get things sorted out. 
mad.gif

Can't wait to hear after burn-in sound to see how Gungnir Multibit perform.  

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #2,145 of 7,161
Multibit Gungnir has landed. After an hour or so of warm up, I already prefer it to my Bryston BDA-2. More air, more detail, firmer bass and basically more enjoyable. Very curious to see what it sounds like after a few days.

MacBook Pro > USB > GMB > Ragnarok > LCD-X

Do u immediately notice the R2R difference? More realistic timbre, tones and cymbals sounding like real cymbals? Say yes and I might just say good bye to Sabre for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back