Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #5,881 of 7,157
Just got my hands on a Gumby! Had a quick 10 minute listen before I had to go back to work but first impression is good. Much meatier and more lively than the dac out of the bluesound node2 haha. Can't wait to have a better listen tonight.

Oh I didn't even know Oxford Comma by Vampire weekend had a bass line at all

Congrats on finally tracking one down! Enjoy!

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #5,882 of 7,157
Just got my hands on a Gumby! Had a quick 10 minute listen before I had to go back to work but first impression is good. Much meatier and more lively than the dac out of the bluesound node2 haha. Can't wait to have a better listen tonight.

Oh I didn't even know Oxford Comma by Vampire weekend had a bass line at all

Hooray! Congratulations, welcome to the Gumby Team.

I had a similar bass revelation when upgraded Gungnir to Gumby.
The bass was more present, extended and punchy.
That was the day I realized my rig could finally properly drive the HD800 :)

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,883 of 7,157
(And, yes, given a choice between a DAC that accurately reproduces whatever I feed it, and one that alters it to "sound nice", I'm always going to choose accurate.)
And the key word there is "choice." It's 100% a personal, subjective, perceptually based choice.

When I am designing something I will measure and strive for accuracy and linearity and proper operation within the limits of the components being used. Always. But if it's audio gear - and I have designed quite a few commercially sold loudspeaker systems - I will listen to the results and if necessary make changes to improve the likability of the sound, even if this means moving away from "accuracy" in favor of "crowd pleasing" or "lovely" or "musical."

But as consumers of electronic equipment we are not designers. I will always choose what sounds or looks best to me. As will the majority of consumers out there. Once you get past the mental masterbation of obsessing over numbers and graphs, it really comes down to appreciation. Otherwise, there would be one piece of equipment that everyone bought if it measured "perfectly." But since two pieces of similar gear with similar measurements can and usually do sound different to every set of ears, there are many choices available. It's about preference. Vive le difference.

Jul 22, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #5,884 of 7,157
Ugh, I have the worst luck; after having a weekend to try a gumby I ordered one but the unit I bought was a dud. Unfortunately the EU distributor (sonority-audio) aren't replying to my emails so I had to initiate a chargeback. Has anyone else had issues with them?

Jul 22, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #5,885 of 7,157
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck. You'll get your hands on one eventually.

I only had contact with Sonority to inquire about Gumby stock. They replied within a few hours to all of my e-mails.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #5,886 of 7,157
Somebody told me that you are not suppose to have both RCA single-ended output connected at the same time. Is that true? Are they sharing a single voltage signal output? One time I had two tube amps connected and one of them wasn't outputting one of the channels.

Above would make no sense to have two RCA outputs then. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #5,887 of 7,157
Somebody told me that you are not suppose to have both RCA single-ended output connected at the same time. Is that true? Are they sharing a single voltage signal output? One time I had two tube amps connected and one of them wasn't outputting one of the channels.

Above would make no sense to have two RCA outputs then. Hmmm.
It's probably the same as with Yggy, it doesn't like it when connected devices short their inputs. It should be okay to have multiple devices connected as long as they are all on and set to the input Gumby is connected to, or don't short the corresponding input if that's not the case.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #5,888 of 7,157
It's probably the same as with Yggy, it doesn't like it when connected devices short their inputs. It should be okay to have multiple devices connected as long as they are all on and set to the input Gumby is connected to, or don't short the corresponding input if that's not the case.
I read that post by Currawong, but I feel like I'm missing some details. If one set shorts, what's happening on the other sets of RCAs?

From what I've read, one set can short if the amp connected to is switched off or amp's input is switch to another input. So, from this I take it that if I connect both RCA sets to the same amp, and if I switch inputs, one of them may be shorted, and would effect the selected input signal.

What kind of effect this shorting do? For couple of amps, I notice a channel went out. This was with two Bottle head amps, both connected with RCA. Is it due to one set shorted, one of the channels went out on one of the amps? Also, is another possibility the output level lowers due to a short in the other channel?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #5,889 of 7,157
I suggest a query to Schiit. They have always been responsive to my questions.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #5,890 of 7,157
I read that post by Currawong, but I feel like I'm missing some details. If one set shorts, what's happening on the other sets of RCAs?

From what I've read, one set can short if the amp connected to is switched off or amp's input is switch to another input. So, from this I take it that if I connect both RCA sets to the same amp, and if I switch inputs, one of them may be shorted, and would effect the selected input signal.

What kind of effect this shorting do? For couple of amps, I notice a channel went out. This was with two Bottle head amps, both connected with RCA. Is it due to one set shorted, one of the channels went out on one of the amps? Also, is another possibility the output level lowers due to a short in the other channel?
All I've read and experienced (with the Yggdrasil) is distortion. Basically, something sounds broken. The first time it happened, I thought my speakers were damaged.
I'm guessing here, but input impedance (for the connected decices) is typically specified in the kOhm range. If a connected device shorts the inputs, the signal goes straight to ground. Electricity follows the past of least resistance, and impedance is frequency dependent resistance. I don't know why that results in distortion in the DAC (for all connected devices - maybe clipping?), but I could see that affecting the volume of other devices, too. I don't understand all the details involved, though, or how other DACs overcome this.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #5,891 of 7,157
What about using Balanced and RCA?
Is there an issue if one of the connected devices is off

Jul 24, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #5,892 of 7,157
I bought an early model Gungnir a few years ago and I've always had to use the S/PDIF input because the USB was flakey. Sometimes the USB would work and then it would just disappear and my Win 10 computer wouldn't recognize it. For the last year or so I got a "unrecognized device" error when resetting the USB connection. I jumped through all the suggested driver installs/deletes/installs . . . but to no avail.

I broke down and ordered the Gen 5 USB upgrade board from Schiit for $112 delivered. I got it installed today and boom, it just works. The Gungnir and Mjolnir sound fantastic. If you have a flakey USB it might be worth it to upgrade.

I installed the board myself wearing a static electricity drain "bracelet" because a stray shock can fry the main or sub boards. You have to remove the top cover and then remove the screws on the bottom and back to slide out the main PCB. Keep track of the screws because they differ in size and length. The USB board (it's the one with the USB connector :wink: ) is held onto the main board by two standoffs and is connected using two multi-pin jumpers. The swap was straightforward and I'm very happy to have my Gung whole again.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #5,893 of 7,157
Looks like Zeos ran into a DAC that sounds different. lol

First DAC that I ran into that sounded significantly enough difference be noticeable was Ayre Codex, which later on I realized sounds pretty much identical to Gumby. I think part of the culprit was BHA-1 amp connected to the Codex/Gumby. Maybe at some point he will also realize THX 789 isn't as good of an amp he thinks it is.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #5,894 of 7,157
Looks like Zeos ran into a DAC that sounds different. lol

First DAC that I ran into that sounded significantly enough difference be noticeable was Ayre Codex, which later on I realized sounds pretty much identical to Gumby. I think part of the culprit was BHA-1 amp connected to the Codex/Gumby. Maybe at some point he will also realize THX 789 isn't as good of an amp he thinks it is.
I sincerely feel he shouldn't do DAC review. He goes in a DAC review with a closed mindset that all DAC are same. In his review he never touches on the sound, texture, tonality, soundstage. He just rambles things like I can't hear anything etc etc. I stopped watching his DAC review.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #5,895 of 7,157
I sincerely feel he shouldn't do DAC review. He goes in a DAC review with a closed mindset that all DAC are same. In his review he never touches on the sound, texture, tonality, soundstage. He just rambles things like I can't hear anything etc etc. I stopped watching his DAC review.
DACs are certainly not all the same and the power supply and output stage can make a difference in sound even when using the same DS chips. I was involved with blind listening on 20 quality DAC’s and some rated consistently better sounding than others regardless of price. My choices were pretty close to the final standings but a couple people were spot on. (25 participants).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back