Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #150,736 of 152,336
It conforms to SOME standards, to varying degrees
It conforms to posix to a very large degree, as I understand it. That brings up another good point. Standards compliance doesn't have to be an all or nothing affair. Companies are free to comply to whatever extent they wish, without necessarily completely negating the benefits of those standards to the consumer.

May 6, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #150,737 of 152,336
It conforms to posix to a very large degree, as I understand it. That brings up another good point. Standards compliance doesn't have to be an all or nothing affair. Companies are free to comply to whatever extent they wish, without necessarily completely negating the benefits of those standards to the consumer.
I don’t think you’ve ever really had to deal with a “proper” standards body like the Bluetooth consortium. Good luck telling them that you’ll only comply with parts of their standard.

May 6, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #150,738 of 152,336
I don’t think you’ve ever really had to deal with a “proper” standards body like the Bluetooth consortium. Good luck telling them that you’ll only comply with parts of their standard.
The difference is, if a *nix system behaves as expected, nobody really cares if it's 100% posix compliant.

Now if you want to sell a product and claim it is bluetooth compliant that's another story. But that's not really a question of benefit to the consumer so much as to the producer.

Just curious, have you worked on a product that required complying with the bluetooth standard? Honest question.

May 6, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #150,739 of 152,336
I’ve got an unanticipated consequence to deal with. I upgraded to a Yggy LIM and now my portable sound gear (DAP + IEM) no longer thrills me.

I wouldn’t have expected it, but the LIM improves the engagement factor sufficiently to leave me unsatisfied even though I thought my mobile gear was fantastic just two weeks ago. Now, it just sounds comparatively flat and boring.

In all seriousness, I am impressed. It is a truly excellent DAC.

May 6, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #150,740 of 152,336
That's a small world connection too. I led the team that negotiated the establishment of the the BT forum. Microsoft led the charge in the early days.

May 6, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #150,741 of 152,336
I don’t want to start any arguments so I will just give the short answer. For my ears the music sounds more natural with the early Gungnir compared to the early Yggy. The same held true in the first DAC comparison my local group did. Maybe it was just the particular unit under test. In our second test the Yggy OG+ finished in the top five so it did much better. I am keeping my answer simple but 25 criteria were involved each time.

I have a first-version Gumby and I agree with your comment that the music sounds more natural. It was very much a "wow!" moment listening to it for the first time when it was fully warmed up.

May 6, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #150,742 of 152,336
The May KTE won our second DAC challenge, the Aqua La Voce won our first. We did not have a KTE back then. All DACs were given a long warm up period and all comparisons were blind. Many tested were in the $5k range, we did have a price cutoff each time, $10k and $7k as I recall. Yggy finished with DACs selling for much more in round 2, so it is an outstanding buy.
In both cases the only brand having two versions was Schiit so I am probably biased towards their products.🤪

Oh and in both cases my answers were close to that of the entire group, most of our differences were at DAK 6 and below. We try to use more than 40 participants so we tend to hover around 50 or so.

Your background is in QC as I recall so you might make a great participant. Mind you a lot of what we did was to solve friendly arguments in a way sanctioned by our core members. One might say X is the best DAC I ever heard then pick it as number 10 in a blind listen.😁 Last I heard we may compare power tubes, or tube headphone amps or power amps in our next go round but it is still up in the air.
Whiskey blind tests are awesome for the same outcome of disabusing people of their preconceived notions of "best ever" whiskey.

May 6, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #150,743 of 152,336
Whiskey blind tests are awesome for the same outcome of disabusing people of their preconceived notions of "best ever" whiskey.
I would be terrible at that test yet I can totally understand it. I can see your bourbons up there with some fetching $150 now. Much of it is marketing and name recognition I would think.

May 6, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #150,744 of 152,336
How do you all deal with "needle talk?

As I needledrop the LPs I have that are either too pricey for CD or remastered after 1995, I have my 'table playing the LP and the needle talk is very annoying and disturbing.

Now, mostly, I'm in another room and it's not that loud. Or, if I'm actual listening to record via headphones, I don't hear it. Being a nervosa type, I still know it's there...

P.S. Another video by that same guy states that (paraphrased), "a downside to 96Khz sample rate recording is that it can't be processed so heavily because it's too computationally expensive." I'm good with that :)

Thanks to you, I've been unable to get this out of my head, so I thought I'd pass it forward...

May 6, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #150,745 of 152,336
As an example of Steven Wilson's - and band's - absolute professionalism and skill, I saw Porcupine Tree live in Portland when they were touring The Incident (my favorite album of theirs - it's a brilliant concept album brilliantly executed) and they managed to sound exactly like they do on the album.

Sometimes it's nice when bands break loose during live sets and show off some extra creativity but it's also cool to experience a band utterly at their prime sounding their very best with zero f*ckups. They played perfectly.

I had an opposite experience. The Proclaimers performed at the Calgary Folk Festival last century. I had their Sunshine on Leith CD (I lived in Leith for a while when I was an undergrad) in my bitchin' car changer (I spent more on my TOTL Sony car stereo than I did to buy the car it was in, a 1966 Valiant convertible). I also had a very revealing for the time home stereo where I also listened to the album.

Anyway, they came out and played their album, no in-between song banter, front to back. It was exactly the same as on the CD. They could have been miming along for all the audio difference. I felt like I could have just stayed home and played the record and gotten better sound with no sunburn.

Very disappointing. I much prefer artists who strive to provide a different experience from their recordings, and a different experience night to night.

May 6, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #150,746 of 152,336
I have a first-version Gumby and I agree with your comment that the music sounds more natural. It was very much a "wow!" moment listening to it for the first time when it was fully warmed up.
I give such things a lot of consideration and try to listen to others as well.😉

May 6, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #150,750 of 152,336
IMG_7878.jpeg

One more splitter to build then @Orange5o will have all interconnects for the back of his mini stack. This was my third attempt to get the lengths just right.😁 Without the proper flex the cabinets can tilt. It made more sense to do this while the rack and gear were in my possession.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back