Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 19, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #152,341 of 153,863
May 19, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #152,342 of 153,863
Yep. My first favorite Islay. Been my online handle for at least 25 year now.

Yeah I hate the idea of not “owning” my library as it were as well, but now that i know it has potential to sound good… I’m gonna give it a go
I have an extensive library but streaming can be a great convenience when I am in my shop or outdoors, The quality is decent if I want to explore new music on my main system.

May 19, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #152,343 of 153,863
Umm, I'm going to have to vacuum and dust first...:disappointed_relieved:

Here's a shot of my speakers until then? My Virgo 2's that I've had since 1997.

IMG_3211.JPG
Sweet! at that time I was enamored of Gerhard's designs...original Avanti...dreaming

May 19, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #152,344 of 153,863
What sweet Hell is this. I am quoting me-self? Well, reading the responses to this post I wonder if some missed the little "N" next to "Magni" on my Magni Piety. Wonderful amp. But, the Vali 3, with the headphone connection out of the way that some recommended...well I read a review and had read Jason's introduction on this forum, and it is tempting. Besides, I need something to put this crank on.

It might have, but a few years ago I bought a Celestron Orange Tube C8. (Warning! Astronomy speek.) The round stock knob to adjust the DEC setting had been replaced with this crank. This represents a 2 x diameter and then something involving pi resulting in one rotation of this crank moving the DEC setting a bunch more than the stock knob. Quite useful for that.
I did a full on knob replacement on my CGE mount, with matching on the scope and pier extender… IIRC they were from “Bob’s Knobs”. Celestron orange… looked cool on my C11 (which I still have).

May 19, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #152,345 of 153,863
It sounded like it needed some more break-in, so I'll be giving it some more time before proceeding and give it a fair chance. Meanwhile, enjoying a Lansdale Frankie. Ye olde battle of the cheap inexpensive tubes. :laughing:

Vali 3 Frankie.jpg
Judging by your reflection in the tube we may sport similar mustaches. 🥸🥸😁😁

I have some of those tubes somewhere, I really should organize my tube collection one day, maybe get them all in one room. 😏

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #152,346 of 153,863
Amarone is wifey’s absolut favorite… do you know of Ripasso style? I call it poor man’s Amarone…:ksc75smile:

Pretty much any Italian red of quality is awesome in our book.
Yes, since Amarone is expensive and that the Ripasso Grossa style can be quite complex and rich for sane prices, we do a few - and it goes nicely with my cooking. The extra benefit is I get about 70% of each bottle.....

I've been to Italy 4 times - and I have to tell these two stories:

1. In 1988 I was at Torino on business, and the first day the crew asks if I want coffee, - sure I say. They bring me into the dining area and there is a 7' x 4' monstrosity of a vending machine - ouch I think immediately of the "coffee" you get in rest areas on Rte 95 in N.J.. Well I ask for a latte, and its hands down the best coffee I had ever had up to that point - easily.

2. A few days later I was on my own for lunch, and after being amazed at the quality of every meal I had had decided to find bad food. Really. So I see this beat up gas station with a small cafe at the back - and I'm convinced it will be awful. I order a Caprese salad. It was far and away better than any I've had in the US - including stellar places like Il Capriccio in Waltham, anything in the North End, NYC, anywhere. It was $3.50.

I spend another 10 days based in Bologna in 2007, and it was beyond any other place I've been in terms of food. Trieste, Lucca, Florence, Amalfi Coast are other places I was impressed by. We've got a trip planned for Sicily, and a return to Rome in 4/26 - this June its 18 days in the UK - Bath, Cotswolds, Devon, Oxford - the food has improved greatly over the past 25 years, but, its no Italy.

May 19, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #152,347 of 153,863
Yep. My first favorite Islay. Been my online handle for at least 25 year now.

Yeah I hate the idea of not “owning” my library as it were as well, but now that i know it has potential to sound good… I’m gonna give it a go
Sold off my 12k vinyl/CD collection, and have maybe 50 CD's not available on stream left. Big fan of the freedom of streaming.

May 19, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #152,348 of 153,863
Sold off my 12k vinyl/CD collection, and have maybe 50 CD's not available on stream left. Big fan of the freedom of streaming.
Fortunately much of my collection is stored on hard drives but t still maintain some records, CD’s, and reel to reel tapes. No reason to downsize maybe 60k albums on computer. I started the process maybe eight years ago. I also stream of course.😁

May 19, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #152,349 of 153,863
big fan of 'streaming' my own music from my NAS and downsizing. I have 2 different backups of my NAS contents, one off-site, so i feel confident that i won't 'lose' any music

my vinyl was given to one of my sons years ago. Just 2 days ago I gifted well over 150 Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia commercial releases to an on-line acquaintance. Currently ripping 300 plus CDs that I will be donating to my local library.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #152,350 of 153,863
Yes, since Amarone is expensive and that the Ripasso Grossa style can be quite complex and rich for sane prices, we do a few - and it goes nicely with my cooking. The extra benefit is I get about 70% of each bottle.....

I've been to Italy 4 times - and I have to tell these two stories:

1. In 1988 I was at Torino on business, and the first day the crew asks if I want coffee, - sure I say. They bring me into the dining area and there is a 7' x 4' monstrosity of a vending machine - ouch I think immediately of the "coffee" you get in rest areas on Rte 95 in N.J.. Well I ask for a latte, and its hands down the best coffee I had ever had up to that point - easily.

2. A few days later I was on my own for lunch, and after being amazed at the quality of every meal I had had decided to find bad food. Really. So I see this beat up gas station with a small cafe at the back - and I'm convinced it will be awful. I order a Caprese salad. It was far and away better than any I've had in the US - including stellar places like Il Capriccio in Waltham, anything in the North End, NYC, anywhere. It was $3.50.

I spend another 10 days based in Bologna in 2007, and it was beyond any other place I've been in terms of food. Trieste, Lucca, Florence, Amalfi Coast are other places I was impressed by. We've got a trip planned for Sicily, and a return to Rome in 4/26 - this June its 18 days in the UK - Bath, Cotswolds, Devon, Oxford - the food has improved greatly over the past 25 years, but, its no Italy.
Il Capriccio in Waltham. A favorite for me to take analysts or other visitors to (our company was just up the road). Great Italian indeed…

May 19, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #152,351 of 153,863
I have 4 of these drawers - https://can-am.ca/CD-storage-DVD-storage.htm - They are now in the garage as storage. Each drawer holds 270 CDs, (3,240 total), and they were completely filled. Many of my CDs were live concerts and I would put 2 or 3 discs in a normal CD case. Single disc shows would go into a slim case. Even though the drawers are metal they started to bow out due to the extra weight of extra discs.

I spent the past few years downloading and tagging most of the live recordings and gave well over 1500 shows away at various parking lots pre-concert.

I have not refreshed my NAS after ripping about a 100 commercial CDs this past week, current stats are:

Artists: 13208
Albums: 10375
Songs: 284804
DB Play Time: 1357 days, 22:48:23

Spent a staggering amount of money and time over the past 25 years or so, enjoyed every minute and no regrets.

From 2000- 2003 or so, in between marriages, i fulfilled 10 to 20 B&P (blanks & postage, IYKYK) requests a week copying shows to CD.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #152,352 of 153,863
Was at the USS North Carolina BB55 battleship all day yesterday teaching and instructing Interior Communications.
Lots of vacuum tubes in the area I was located.

1716128346352.png
1716128389320.png
1716128428010.png
1716128459322.png

May 19, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #152,353 of 153,863

Users who are viewing this thread

Back