Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #39,692 of 153,800
If you don't really need the switch i would just get the PoE injector. I don't believe the is a big difference other than where the PoE is coming from.
Thanks that simplifies it a whole bunch.

JJ

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #39,693 of 153,800
Thanks that simplifies it a whole bunch.
It made sense for me to use PoE because there was no convenient AC outlet where I wanted to put the AP, but if you have AC nearby, no need to use PoE.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #39,694 of 153,800
So I have an audio related question and a Schiit one at that. Yes it's probably a noob question (as all of mine seem to be).

I have a question about signal amplification and gain through dacs, and the need for headphone amplifers.

I brought my mimby home over the weekend to power my 2ch garage rig. I went into work today and forgot my mimby at home. I have a Chromecast audio at work, and didn't bring the dongle for my pixel with. While at work I wondered how loud the 1/8 jack on the CCA would get my HD6XX's. Too loud for comfort is the answer. I liked the sound quality better from CCA > magni > HD6xx but that was because of better bass through the magni. So then I had a thought. What if I plug my HD6xx into the output of my mimby, and use the CCA optical into mimby? Answer - It actually sounds pretty awesome, and has lots of headroom. 50 % volume and it was plenty loud. The CCA has digital volume control so I am able to control the volume with my phone.

I tested the mimby as a headphone amp using usb as well, and while the sq was good. I didn't have anywhere near the loudness level using USB compared to optical. Can anyone explain this? Volume level of mimby as a hp amp via USB was comparable to what my phone or iPad can do. Using mimby and CCA made it get almost as loud as magni 3 at full volume.

Why is CCA optical/spdif so much louder then USB? Both are digital signals right?

Is CCA with optical overdriving mimby? Is the full dynamic range setting on my CCA to blame? Could I be pushing it's output past 2volts RMS? How would I tell, and would that damage mimby? I see output ohms on mimby is 75 vs .3 on magni 3. Does that really matter, for headphone usage?

Is there any harm that could be done to my headphones by using them with the mimby or CCA in this manner.

Is the output stage of the CCA or mimby that different then a dragonfly or the original fulla?

I hear often that the less components in the signal path the better. I also hear it said that the best amp is no amp, and ideally speakers are driven by a wire with gain. Is that sort of what is happening here? Are my ears not good enough for my gear?

Has anyone ever driven headphones with Saga or Freya using their active stage? Is this why so many preamps or dacs contain HP jacks?

Help a confused noob please.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #39,695 of 153,800
:) Daughter built and configured her own Pi/touchscreen streamer -- she codes for a living and loves tinkering with hardware and software. When I was there in August, we were looking at whether her streamer could run piCorePlayer rather than whatever she was running then (a distro/player I can't recall now), with LMS running on her NAS. We messed around for several hours, kind of worked, but her Pi touchscreen is not quite standard and touch registration was not good.
The Apple does not fall far from the tree

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #39,696 of 153,800
LOL. That's actually the desk in my home office when I'm in "cable" mode. The ten-foot-long, true WORKbench in the basement has too much crap stored on it to be easily accessible. 'Course, the basement does have the Proton D1200 and re-foamed Mach Ones...I should prolly clean the bench up a bit. :thinking:
Agreed----I have been cleaning off my workbenches for many years, but they keep attracting more stuff to store!

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #39,697 of 153,800
It made sense for me to use PoE because there was no convenient AC outlet where I wanted to put the AP, but if you have AC nearby, no need to use PoE.
I'm considering the Ubiquiti AP-AC Lite which only has 1 connection, the RJ45, so PoE is in its blood so to speak.

Thanks for the info.

JJ

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #39,699 of 153,800
There are at most 3 wifi users and they are low bandwidth users at that.
The main computer is using a cable.

JJ

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #39,700 of 153,800
There's always hope in U.S. medicine --if your wallet's fat enough.

I had to say it...

The Mayo Clinic has always charged based on a person's ability to pay, all doctors are on salary. Watch the documentary sometime if you get a chance, many changes in medicine came about because of their research. Now getting in there is not always easy because people come from all over the world.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #39,701 of 153,800
This is one of my electronics work benches at home, just an old desk that has seen some abuse. I tend to use two or three soldering stations set up at one time for a variety of soldering jobs. Right now I am set up to build Coaster amps but I can change over to other projects pretty quickly. I have a work bench for woodwork/metal work as well as one for fletching and cresting arrows. amp.jpg

. workbench.jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #39,702 of 153,800
I don't know. I asked Mike on his thread if he and Dr Ivana could fix/reverse the horrible compression being used today and he gave me a thumbs up. Dunno if that means they already thought of salving it, already solved it, or wished they could solve it.

The way he mentioned it, I got the impression he was working on it, but Mike is a tough read, and I was multi-tasking so I may have mis-read it.

The dynamic range expansion sounds like something that could be done technologically to me, but I have a hard time seeing it past Mike's filter of doesn't sound like arse. Mike is a vocal opponent of over-compression, so I could easily see it as in "in-joke" of his to have a pop-music de-crapifier filter.

The beat alignment/mis-alignment sounds a bit more like snake oil to me, despite Mike's anecdote about the Rolling Stones. But I wouldn't have believed pitch shifting either, so I'll be happily proven wrong if it's done with Moffat Magic.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #39,703 of 153,800
Good conversation!

Sorry, for the late response, but good conversation indeed.

Also, I finally got a chance to listen to the InnerFidelity interview with Jason. I have to say, the comments on Class D were more than a little intriguing. Namely, his suggestion that the switching nature of a Class D amp, if fast enough, could in theory be used to create a direct output from a digital file (which is stepped by nature) without having to convert it to analog. I actually thought this is already what NAD has been doing with their "DirectDigital" Masters series amplifiers, but maybe Jason was talking about something different. Or just bringing that kind of technology down to reasonable prices (the NAD M32 is roughly the price of a Ragnarok and a Yggdrasil combined).

He mentioned that this is all a long way off (or of course might never happen anyways), but these are exciting possibilities.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #39,704 of 153,800
Consolation of the Pharmaceutical industry has also led to chronic shortages of generic, low cost drugs. But don't worry, we have a brand name replacement for only 18X more!

Bastards

*snort* If you're lucky it's only 18x more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back