Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #39,767 of 154,479
This has been Apple's policy since the Mid 1980s. Personally, I have an aversion to vendor lock in. It has been a shady business practice for decades.

I have repaired a lot of Apple products but it was not easy. It is one of the reasons I like some DIY products, you own it, modify it however you wish, and repair it as you wish. I have a variety of products including Apple, my son was one of those people who stood in line for the next Iphone and he has MacBook Pro's etc. but lately he is going in other directions on equipment. The government provides him with what he does not buy so he gets to try out a lot of brands, even Blackberry lol.

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #39,768 of 154,479
In my case it's because it just works, and it works in a way I understand. Simple, really.
Yes. For work i have to use HP with windows, always issues, especially security matters. At home never an issue, my kids still use a 2007 iMac; try that with a windows machine. What still is a mistery to me is that why the old iMac boots up quicker than my new iMac

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #39,769 of 154,479
All of this talk about computers... Buy a Thinkpad, install Linux, be free. If I'm going to buy something, I want to own it. Apple can keep their proprietary $2000 Facebook checking machine. I don't need it.
Don’t buy what you don’t need is a bery good thing in my book. I am like the guy that still drives the first VW Golf because it still works fine not because there is new generation out. Btw it is actually the size of a Polo now

Oct 9, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #39,771 of 154,479
Buy Toyota vehicles. They last forever. Take it from a Toyota owner and SSBB.

I think Schiit Audio offers an exceptional return & warranty program.
When you build great products, you stand behind them and support them if issues.

One reason I'm not buying Chinese. Had some pressure to go with the GS-X Mk-2 amp ... gets great reviews.
But the support is just too far away, for me. YMMV.

I decided instead for the Bryston BHA-1.
Built in Canada. It comes with a 20-year warranty for a class A amp.

Most of this discussion is speculative and we need a confirmed psychologist to help us out ...
Where is Pietro?

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #39,772 of 154,479
Buy Toyota vehicles. They last forever. Take it from a Toyota owner and SSBB.

I have much the same experience with Toyota, they last till I hate them but paid for so...

Oh I must add, I repair most things myself, I service our vehicles, being mechanically inclined.

Hence my R2R stance. both politically and with DACs

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_171245568.jpg
    IMG_20180929_171245568.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181001_151249256.jpg
    IMG_20181001_151249256.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #39,773 of 154,479
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #39,774 of 154,479
In my case it's because it just works, and it works in a way I understand...

Until it doesn't. :thinking:

Exactly. That’s the point. The warranty picks up the pieces. Apple offers an extended warranty if you want you can buy it. If you care less about the warranty you can repair your product as well. It’s entirely your choice. Again, complaining about products you don’t buy makes your argument a little more whiny. And perhaps, a bit more out of place on this thread.

As someone who has worked in third-party repair and calibration for longer than I care to remember, I can tell you that this crap happens all the time, with all sorts of vendors/manufacturers. Manufacturers have little interest in what they are not currently manufacturing. And your so-called "extended warranty" is a thinly-veiled euphemism for insurance. They are betting that enough people will buy that insurance and not need it, so they don't lose money on the ones that do.

Some companies make legal threats over third-party repairs on equipment that is way past EOL (End Of Life). One might think, well, what skin is it off of their nose? They believe that corporations will fork out the cash for a newer model (or whatever) if they can shut down the repair of older, perfectly adequate equipment. Companies with this equipment sometimes don't have the resources to just up and buy the latest and greatest, and then spend the down-time on their production lines (again, or whatever), what with all the installation of the new stuff, the rewriting of software (consider multiple ATE [Automated Test Equipment] racks that would need to designed almost from the ground up to adopt newer standards, for instance), and the re-training of the employees for the new stuff. All when the equipment they currently own is perfectly fine for what they are doing. So, they go to a third party. In most cases, getting schematics can be a nightmare, and the same goes for parts. We often have to almost reverse-engineer stuff, just to figure out what the original engineering team was trying to do. Gah.

A related aside: I once maintained and old Sun Microsystems "pizza-box" server (a SPARCstation 10, circa 1992 IIRC), that didn't do...ANYTHING. I kept it up and alive so it could be pinged on the network. They needed it to be up and functional "just in case" they ever needed it (because you see, the FAA required that all equipment used for airworthy certification be available for X number of years after the original certification). So, this thing just sat there running, for years and years, until the pigeon-poop (thermal compound) between the CPUs and heatsinks dried out (and three of the four cooling fans died of old-age, LOL) and the spring-loaded nylon screws holding the heatsinks finally popped off due to heat. Of course, the CPUs fried immediately. And I had to fix it. This was about ten years ago. Now, guess what would have happened in this current era's wet-dream of complete control of manufactured goods?

This has been Apple's policy since the Mid 1980s. Personally, I have an aversion to vendor lock in. It has been a shady business practice for decades.

Yes, it used to be IBM, then Microsoft. Now, it seems to be Apple, although Google is certainly giving them a run for their money.

All of this talk about computers... Buy a Thinkpad, install Linux, be free. If I'm going to buy something, I want to own it. Apple can keep their proprietary $2000 Facebook checking machine. I don't need it.

There ya go. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Switch_To_linux.jpeg

love-peace-linux.png

:ksc75smile:

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #39,775 of 154,479
re: iPhone lacking a headphone jack. When I got my 8 I thought it would really be a pain not having the flexibility of a headphone jack. When I'm using the iPhone as a DAP I use an external DAC/Amp so that didn't change, but for phone calls I sometimes used a hardwired set when the BT headset was charging or not handy, and that does not work through the DAC/Amp. Nor was I fond of the Apple solution of a wireless set of Bluetooth ear buds (indeed, I have thought Apple's earbuds sucked green bananas since day one, and I wasn't about to shell out extra money for something I didn't like.) Surprise, the iPhone came with a little dongle, a 1.5" long device that plugs into the lightning port and offers, wait for it, a headphone jack. I simply keep my Etymotic phone IEMs plugged into that at all times, and if I need them boom there it is. So it does come with a headphone jack after all.

Does your dongle work everytime you plug it into your phone? Or even 75 percent of the time? As I have said before, the dongle Google gives with the pixel 2 is garbage. I plug it in, and sound keeps piping through speakers.

I've been considering switching to apple, for the apple watch, and if their dongle works well it might help push me that way.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #39,776 of 154,479
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #39,777 of 154,479
Does your dongle work everytime you plug it into your phone? Or even 75 percent of the time? As I have said before, the dongle Google gives with the pixel 2 is garbage. I plug it in, and sound keeps piping through speakers.

I've been considering switching to apple, for the apple watch, and if their dongle works well it might help push me that way.
Yes it works with my phone every time. I know nothing about the watch.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #39,778 of 154,479
Until it doesn't. :thinking:

As someone who has worked in third-party repair and calibration for longer than I care to remember, I can tell you that this crap happens all the time, with all sorts of vendors/manufacturers. Manufacturers have little interest in what they are not currently manufacturing. And your so-called "extended warranty" is a thinly-veiled euphemism for insurance. They are betting that enough people will buy that insurance and not need it, so they don't lose money on the ones that do.

Some companies make legal threats over third-party repairs on equipment that is way past EOL (End Of Life). One might think, well, what skin is it off of their nose? They believe that corporations will fork out the cash for a newer model (or whatever) if they can shut down the repair of older, perfectly adequate equipment. Companies with this equipment sometimes don't have the resources to just up and buy the latest and greatest, and then spend the down-time on their production lines (again, or whatever), what with all the installation of the new stuff, the rewriting of software (consider multiple ATE [Automated Test Equipment] racks that would need to designed almost from the ground up to adopt newer standards, for instance), and the re-training of the employees for the new stuff. All when the equipment they currently own is perfectly fine for what they are doing. So, they go to a third party. In most cases, getting schematics can be a nightmare, and the same goes for parts. We often have to almost reverse-engineer stuff, just to figure out what the original engineering team was trying to do. Gah.

A related aside: I once maintained and old Sun Microsystems "pizza-box" server (a SPARCstation 10, circa 1992 IIRC), that didn't do...ANYTHING. I kept it up and alive so it could be pinged on the network. They needed it to be up and functional "just in case" they ever needed it (because you see, the FAA required that all equipment used for airworthy certification be available for X number of years after the original certification). So, this thing just sat there running, for years and years, until the pigeon-poop (thermal compound) between the CPUs and heatsinks dried out (and three of the four cooling fans died of old-age, LOL) and the spring-loaded nylon screws holding the heatsinks finally popped off due to heat. Of course, the CPUs fried immediately. And I had to fix it. This was about ten years ago. Now, guess what would have happened in this current era's wet-dream of complete control of manufactured goods?

Yes, it used to be IBM, then Microsoft. Now, it seems to be Apple, although Google is certainly giving them a run for their money.

There ya go. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:ksc75smile:

The one time I had an issue it was fixed by Apple. My music server runs Linux.

Oct 9, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #39,780 of 154,479
@RCBinTN

How is the Skeet shooting in the Nashville area? I will probably want to get back into shooting registered Skeet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back