Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #47,941 of 154,422
Previously when the Aegir was being launched, I asked about the Output Impedance of the amp. I never got an answer to that, but upon launch I did see where the Damping Factor was ">100". Higher than I'd hoped for. Sure, I haven't heard it, but my speakers are already damped, and they need an amp that lets the woofer "play". The first Ragnarok version had an Output Impedance of .03 - a damping factor of 266. Vidar? Damping Factor >100.

What's interesting (to me) is that this new Ragnarok 2 amp has a Damping
Factor of ">80" - even less than the Aegir. "Wow, look at that..." I thought. @Jason Stoddard mentioned that it was a very different piece from the original Ragnarok, and it sure appears to be that way. In fact, in the video below, Jason confirms that is a "richer" sounding amp - even more so than the Aegir. The DF numbers seem to suggest that as well. Could this be the most... "musical" amp that Schiit offers? Maybe so. It's certainly the one I would try first, for MY system.

I don't need an amp with volume control, remote, modules, etc... what if the Ragnarok amp section were its own amp without all of the bells and whistles?
  • Vidar - 100w/channel (power)
  • Ragnarok 2 Stand Alone Amp that doesn't exist - 60w/channel (musical, lower price point)
  • Aegir - "Class A-ish, mono blocks, 80w/channel in mono)
THAT, would interest me. Just buying whatever you think is the "best" isn't necessarily the best way to get great sound. The magic happens when stuff works well together. Fortunately, or not, I have just enough experience with my own stuff to be dangerous.

I'd still like to know what the actual Output Impedance of Ragnarok 2 is.

Jason, this is a pretty good example of the kinds of topics you could touch on in videos.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #47,942 of 154,422
I don't need an amp with volume control, remote, modules, etc... what if the Ragnarok amp section were its own amp without all of the bells and whistles?
  • Vidar - 100w/channel (power)
  • Ragnarok 2 Stand Alone Amp that doesn't exist - 60w/channel (musical, lower price point)
  • Aegir - "Class A-ish, mono blocks, 80w/channel in mono)
THAT, would interest me. Just buying whatever you think is the "best" isn't necessarily the best way to get great sound. The magic happens when stuff works well together. Fortunately, or not, I have just enough experience with my own stuff to be dangerous.

I'd still like to know what the actual Output Impedance of Ragnarok 2 is.

I asked for the same thing. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a good product.

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #47,943 of 154,422
I see the amplifiers, Vidar, Aegir and Ragnarok, are all 3.875" high (I presume that's rounded to the nearest 0.005"), does that include the feet? :thinking:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #47,944 of 154,422
Since @Jason Stoddard is testing folks voting with their wallet on preamps (which I think is a great idea), here is the "Why?" since I can't vote with my wallet and buy a Ragnarok 2 stand alone amp.

I have a great tube amp already and it sounds wonderful. Problem... it's a BEAST, big, and hot. And it's all tubes and sometimes it's grumpy. I can't just flip it on and walk away while it starts playing music. There is a start sequence (not kidding). For all of its hassles, it makes beautiful music. So, I'd like a small amp that I can swap in that runs cool in the summer, is easy - yet still makes music!

So, my current choices for buying an amp from Schiit are:
  • Vidar - has power I don't need and I'm pretty sure isn't the tonality I'm looking for
  • Ragnarok 2 - probably sounds good but has a bunch of stuff I don't need which pushes the pricing much higher than my needs
  • Aegir - probably sounds good but is a MUCH higher price point (figuring I'd need 2 of them for Mono power) and requires a new preamp, and still makes heat. I have a great preamp... with SE outputs. I'm not going to buy a balanced preamp just to try Aegir at a power level in Mono that's workable for my needs. Did I mention heat?
I'm looking for something way under $1k that sounds musical and can be easily plugged into the system. Plus, with Schiit gear holding its value well it would pose very little risk for me try.

So, that's the "Why" since I can't vote with my wallet...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #47,945 of 154,422
Looking to run a Vidar with a magnepan 1.7i. Could someone please let me know of that is a good pairing?
Thank you

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #47,948 of 154,422
Certainly has the power required for Maggies, but I haven't experienced first hand. Hopefully someone can chime in!
Saga + Vidar didn’t have enough gain for me with the 1.7i in my 12Wx30Lx8H room. So I got a Freya and another Vidar and I mostly run in tube gain mode.
Now it’s pretty much always loud enough and sounds great, and I know where not to put knob on certain songs to avoid putting the amps into protection

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #47,949 of 154,422
Saga + Vidar didn’t have enough gain for me with the 1.7i in my 12Wx30Lx8H room. So I got a Freya and another Vidar and I mostly run in tube gain mode.
Now it’s pretty much always loud enough and sounds great, and I know where not to put knob on certain songs to avoid putting the amps into protection

Are yours going into thermal or over-current protection?

I tried early on to get mine to go into thermal protection, however I gave up WAY before the Vidar did...

I have easily been able to send the Vidar that runs my center channel (4 ohm mono) into over-current protection on multiple occasions even though temps are still quite low.

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #47,950 of 154,422
Since @Jason Stoddard is testing folks voting with their wallet on preamps (which I think is a great idea), here is the "Why?" since I can't vote with my wallet and buy a Ragnarok 2 stand alone amp.

I have a great tube amp already and it sounds wonderful. Problem... it's a BEAST, big, and hot. And it's all tubes and sometimes it's grumpy. I can't just flip it on and walk away while it starts playing music. There is a start sequence (not kidding). For all of its hassles, it makes beautiful music. So, I'd like a small amp that I can swap in that runs cool in the summer, is easy - yet still makes music!

• Vidar - has power I don't need and I'm pretty sure isn't the tonality I'm looking for
  • Ragnarok 2 - probably sounds good but has a bunch of stuff I don't need which pushes the pricing much higher than my needs
  • Aegir - probably sounds good but is a MUCH higher price point (figuring I'd need 2 of them for Mono power) and requires a new preamp, and still makes heat. I have a great preamp... with SE outputs. I'm not going to buy a balanced preamp just to try Aegir at a power level in Mono that's workable for my needs. Did I mention heat?
I'm looking for something way under $1k that sounds musical and can be easily plugged into the system. Plus, with Schiit gear holding its value well it would pose very little risk for me try.

Nobody bothered to review Aegir as one stereo vs 2 Aegirs as monoblocks. I wonder if a single still sounds as well at low volume.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #47,951 of 154,422

I do this. I have a tube integrated which makes beautiful music, but takes forever to warm up and sound its best. Subjectively it takes an hour and quite frankly i rarely have an hour to listen to music. I use a Naim Unitiqute integrated amp most of the time. It just works and sounds great with my gumby dac.

If I were in need of it I wouldn't hesistate to go saga+ & Vidar, Freya S & Vidar or Ragnarok 2. I really like integrated amps so my preference would be Rag 2 if I had a need and the cash.

Under 1k I would hesitate to at least audition a new Rega Brio.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #47,952 of 154,422
Are yours going into thermal or over-current protection?

I tried early on to get mine to go into thermal protection, however I gave up WAY before the Vidar did...

I have easily been able to send the Vidar that runs my center channel (4 ohm mono) into over-current protection on multiple occasions even though temps are still quite low.
I’m thinking it’s over current since it happens at the same place in multiple songs whether I have a fan under the Vidars or not. I don’t have a thermocouple cemented to the heat sink or anything, but pointing an IR thermometer at the lower rear part of the fins, it never got to the temp Jason mentioned as the trip point. Also, it comes right back on with no extra delay if I turn down the volume and power cycle the amp

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #47,953 of 154,422
I’m thinking it’s over current since it happens at the same place in multiple songs whether I have a fan under the Vidars or not. I don’t have a thermocouple cemented to the heat sink or anything, but pointing an IR thermometer at the lower rear part of the fins, it never got to the temp Jason mentioned as the trip point. Also, it comes right back on with no extra delay if I turn down the volume and power cycle the amp
Sounds like your loudspeakers present too much load for the amp (impedance drops too low.)
Or you simply need to turn it down. :wink:

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #47,954 of 154,422
Sounds like your loudspeakers present too much load for the amp (impedance drops too low.)
Or you simply need to turn it down. :wink:
That’s what I have settled on. My family still thinks it’s too loud, but if I’m by myself sitting ~10 feet away listening to some Tool, it’s hard for it to be too loud.
I do also have a pair of 1000 W Red Dragon Class D monoblocks. Those get louder, but I don’t think they sound as good as the Vidars at equal volume.

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #47,955 of 154,422
I agree, I owned a set of Red Dragons and sold them about a week after I got them. What speakers are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back