Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #68,851 of 153,934
20201222_203152.jpg

Scotch mod and other hardware ready... For those who have been asking about DACs, the Bifrost I MB you see does a much better job driving my Mjolnir I than either DAP. A fine addition.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #68,852 of 153,934
Oh my gosh, did I just re-rail the thread? And I don't have any ABBA! I guess I'll have to get some NC BBQ as pennance. Purchasing it is enough, isn't it? I don't actually have to eat it, do I?

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #68,853 of 153,934
Oh my gosh, did I just re-rail the thread? And I don't have any ABBA! I guess I'll have to get some NC BBQ as pennance. Purchasing it is enough, isn't it? I don't actually have to eat it, do I?

ABBA is a far harsher and therefore more appropriate punishment for your transgression. I hope you're ashamed of yourself, and have to listen to "Take A Chance On Me" on continuous repeat for the next 48 hours. :grin:

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #68,855 of 153,934
The Bifrost 2 is a Multibit DAC. The OG Bifrost was available as a DS or MB DAC. I have a Bifrost OG and have both sets of DAC cards, since I'm OCD. :L3000:

Edit: I'm interested in the Vali 2+ as well. I hope it would work well with a set of HiFiMan HE-400i's, that are arriving soon.

@StimpyWan on Bifrost OG, can the multibit and DS cards just be swapped back and forth, or does the motherboard firmware need to be updated as well ?
(multibit card has its own DIP8 firmware, but I don't see any in the pics for the 4490 analog card)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #68,856 of 153,934
ABBA is a far harsher and therefore more appropriate punishment for your transgression. I hope you're ashamed of yourself, and have to listen to "Take A Chance On Me" on continuous repeat for the next 48 hours. :grin:

I dunno man, I found Mamma Mia very entertaining. Sounds great on my Schiit..... Well.... Pierce Brosnan struggling to sing sounds even worse on my schiit, but thats ok, it just reveals more for me to laugh at...

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #68,857 of 153,934
@StimpyWan on Bifrost OG, can the multibit and DS cards just be swapped back and forth, or does the motherboard firmware need to be updated as well ?
(multibit card has its own DIP8 firmware, but I don't see any in the pics for the 4490 analog card)

When I bought the Bifrost, it was already a Bimby. Still, I was curious about trying a D/S DAC, and emailed Schiit support about swapping cards. They quickly let me know since it was a Bimby, I could swap in the 4490 without issue. So, I ordered the D/S card, and have been comparing the 2 ever since.

The D/S card sounds very smooth, with a wide soundstage. The MB is a little peaky in nature, in the upper mids. Somewhat boomy in the bass too. But, the soundstage sounds very realistic, with great soundstage depth. The peaky sound is why I tried the D/S card. Thankfully, that and the boominess smooths out once the DAC has been plugged in and warmed up a few days.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #68,858 of 153,934
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #68,859 of 153,934
When I bought the Bifrost, it was already a Bimby. Still, I was curious about trying a D/S DAC, and emailed Schiit support about swapping cards. They quickly let me know since it was a Bimby, I could swap in the 4490 without issue. So, I ordered the D/S card, and have been comparing the 2 ever since.

The D/S card sounds very smooth, with a wide soundstage. The MB is a little peaky in nature, in the upper mids. Somewhat boomy in the bass too. But, the soundstage sounds very realistic, with great soundstage depth. The peaky sound is why I tried the D/S card. Thankfully, that and the boominess smooths out once the DAC has been plugged in and warmed up a few days.

Hope this helps?

Yes, helpful.

My Bifrost OG is a Multibit too, and when compared with Modi 3+ (using AK4490) there was a big difference in soundstage (using CD 44.1/16 via coax s/pdif source), so I was wondering how much improvement of 4490 would be possible with the better PSU + FET buffer stage of Bifrost 4490 config vs Modi 3+ 5V rail switcher & op-amp output stage.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #68,860 of 153,934
Today 14:15h CET, Constanza made her way to the eternal hunting fields after 22 year in ours. She will rest in peace. In time I will follow them all BUT NOT BEFORE I MADE YOUR LIVES A LITTLE MORE MISERABLE THE WAY I HABITUALLY DO.

lastconstanza.jpg

Sorry to hear this. She was a real beauty!!

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #68,861 of 153,934
Dec 22, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #68,862 of 153,934
Today 14:15h CET, Constanza made her way to the eternal hunting fields after 22 year in ours. She will rest in peace. In time I will follow them all BUT NOT BEFORE I MADE YOUR LIVES A LITTLE MORE MISERABLE THE WAY I HABITUALLY DO.

lastconstanza.jpg
A great life, well lived! Sorry for your loss, Dottore.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #68,863 of 153,934
Pietro, I'm so very sorry about Constanza.

Sad news comes in twos. Today, our 21 year old cat Gris-Gris passed away. Our only solace will be that he's now at rest after some difficult weeks towards the end of his life on earth. We loved him so much.

Anything by Puccini was his favorite music.

grisgris.jpg
So sorry for your loss, another great life well lived!

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #68,864 of 153,934
Condolences to @Pietro Cozzi Tinin and @Balthazar B on the loss of your magnificent feline overlords. You have my sympathy.

Thx @macdonjh for the conjunction pics. I had no chance to see it, which is doubly annoying since we had a clear sky friday and today too. With a little luck I might be able to catch both planets over the holidays...

Dec 23, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #68,865 of 153,934

lastconstanza.jpg
I still miss my Nimbus who moved to a hobby farm in SE Minnesota when a move forced him to find a new friend. I was an aide to an elderly couple and she named him Nimbus because he was looked like a fluffy, grey cloud, long and lanky. Nimbus would go for walks with me around the block. If I got to far ahead as he explored the neighbors yards he come running to catch up.

My favorite memory is when he got scared by a car and was still a year or less and we were outside and he jumped to my chest, and shoulders. Landed perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back