Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #113,855 of 153,862
As a white male with German roots don't you mean it's the Wurst?
BbgL7x3.gif

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #113,858 of 153,862
Please do tell more about that metallic noise.
Uhm… You could describe it as a slightly buzzy, decaying echo underlying the otherwise clean presentation. Clearly audible with quiet pieces like piano solos, less so with stuff that's fuller and noisier to begin with.
Don't know how to describe it. Words are hard.

Edit:
Speaking of a piano… Imagine putting down a very fine, light, metallic wire across the strings of a piano, and then play something. That's pretty close to what it sounded like.

Was it a mechanical rattle?
Mechanical rattle? In the left channel of an amplifier? How do you figure that would work? 🤨
Was it electronic?
Well, if it ain't mechanical… 😜
Beats me. I still don't quite know my ass from my elbow when it comes to analog amplification circuits. Well, I do know a little bit. But that's mostly just theory and definitely still not nearly enough to diagnose an issue just by listening to the thing. You have to first break and then fix a looooooooot of stuff before you can do that, so maybe ask me again in a few years.
Also, I'm definitely not opening the amp to poke around in it with my scope. At least not for as long as it's under warranty.

But I had a similar sounding issue in the past with a different audio product and it turned out to be a faulty capacitor. So maybe it's a faulty cap somewhere? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Won't know for sure, though, as the good folks in Valencia only really tell you what the problem was if and when they return a repaired unit to you — which will not be the case with this one because it'll be replaced, not repaired.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #113,859 of 153,862
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #113,860 of 153,862
That's a set up that many of us could live with happily for the rest of our lives.

Is that what you have, or what you're looking for?

My vinyl source for about 40 years. Currently with a Sumiko Blue Point which has been there for 25 years and still sounds new. Should tell that use is low so stuff lasts. I am still surprised that the cantilever rubber is still fine.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #113,861 of 153,862
^^ …. I would have gladly accepted coal ….
LOL! Because of my current (soon to be ex) location, I'm supposed to be a Panthers fan. They say that the only thing that is truly impossible is putting toothpaste back in the tube, but they're wrong. 🤣

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #113,863 of 153,862
His valve warehouse so he can keep a close eye on all his tubes.
1679351553975.png

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #113,864 of 153,862
Where are you relocating to?
Atlanta, Ga.

** Oops. Sorry, Bill. I guess you'll have to reach out to your witness protection relocation contact again. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #113,865 of 153,862
Atlanta, Ga.

** Oops. Sorry, Bill. I guess you'll have to reach out to your witness relocation contact again. :wink:
Most Atlanta residents are relocating to North Carolina to escape the congestion, government, and taxes of Atlanta. I relocated from the Orlando, FL area to South GA because of wife desires. Not a good move for many reasons, a good move for some. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back