Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #113,911 of 153,861
Thanks everyone on the responses for the snake oil cables. The Digital Audio coaxial have to be custom made and will take some time. Was told they are using Belden cables for that.
existing high quality "RG-59" 75 ohm RCA analog video cables (typically made with yellow RCA ends) can be repurposed for S/PDIF Digital Audio. Using one right now between Sony CD player and BFM1 aka Bifrost Multibit OG

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #113,912 of 153,861
While Iconoclast are my top cables, my long time favorites are Kimber Kable PBJ style interconnects.

I made these recently to go between Modi MB2 and Vali 2+.
2BE01613-1DD6-4C7F-8901-6EC12B99160E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #113,913 of 153,861
existing high quality "RG-59" 75 ohm RCA analog video cables (typically made with yellow RCA ends) can be repurposed for S/PDIF Digital Audio. Using one right now between Sony CD player and BFM1 aka Bifrost Multibit OG

Good to know for the future. That's pretty much what I'm using it for a Sony to the Modi+

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #113,914 of 153,861
DL-103 all dressed up in her cap (are carts "she"s like boats?). As a testament to how much this thing is built like a tank, I was a dummy and dropped it while reattaching and it's absolutely fine after rolling across the floor. I blame my freakish double jointed thumbs.

The stylus is a tad askew to my eyes but was like that already 🤷‍♂️

Definitely hearing some nice differences but still tweaking since the cap adds mass and chages the VTA slightly.
20230320_140635.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #113,915 of 153,861
That is the 2nd or 3rd time this picture has been used on this thread in recent times. Maybe I need to add it to the Schiit Sine Wave(TM)?
ROFL!!

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #113,917 of 153,861
The question of quality recordings is floating around, so I will put in a vote for Water Lily Acoustics. They are purveyors of more international and cross-pollinated music. Their most famous release featured Ry Cooder and VM Bhatt called A Meeting By the River. It won a Grammy Award years back.

They document the tech details of their recording method and equipment chain and it is all first rate. :smile_cat:
For those of you all digital, HDtracks has the 88.2/24 (SACD) version of this, which is sounding quite nice on my headphone system. Thank you for the recommendation!

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #113,918 of 153,861
In 1998 I set my turntable into the trunk of the car of the person who bought it and forgot about it. It's been the best set and forget turntable move I ever made. :)
I gave up on my turntable when my then 4-year old son got too excited about the equipment and sent the cartridge flying over the record, ripping the needle. I don't miss the fuss. A few years ago, our daughter who has our old records decided to digitize them carefully and gave me a thumb drive with the rips. I was listening to one of those recently. Lovely sound if I could abstract from the dust and scratches (and that was after our daughter did a lot of work cleaning the records — she's that kind of geek).

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #113,919 of 153,861
Bill has gone to great lengths to find the best residential location in ATL. Just far enough so stray and ricocheting bullets will not reach and deviously located in a cul de sac to confound any potential drive-byers. 😏
Good luck with that! I've lived all over Atlanta (deep in outer suburbs now) for 45+ years. It has it's charms and beautiful women but you have to develop a sense for when to duck.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #113,920 of 153,861
Has anyone bought Snake Oil cables or have any experience with them good or bad? I know the whole cable thing can get out of hand but I'm just curious about them in particular. Thanks. 😁
Yes. Very good quality. One might say they know their Schiit…

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #113,921 of 153,861
Schiit's support is truly the worst.

A week or two ago, I received an Asgard 3 with a metallic noise in the left channel.
This morning I finally had the time to contact Schiit about the issue.
Half an hour later, at 6:45am no less, I received the first reply with some trouble shooting advice.
A few hours and two emails later, I had a paid-for-by-Schiit return label in my inbox with a replacement A3 ready to be sent my way the moment the faulty one has been dropped off.

I am a white male American elder millennial with German roots. As such, my genetic makeup requires me to feel overly entitled and to complain about everything and everything!
But once again, the people at Schiit refuse to give me an opportunity to exercise my self-given right to make a big fuss about nothing. 😒

The worst in the business, I tell you. The WORST! 😖
Your Teutonic heart (Ordnung muss sein) must be extremely happy with this quick and accurate response from Schiit.

Mar 21, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #113,922 of 153,861
This should be fun. By this I mean that this should definitely not lead or contribute to any heated debate between cable believers and non-believers.

The Dutch audiophile record label TRPTK has dedicated their latest blog on audio cables, and their impact on the sound. TRPTK states that they have always been somewhere in the middle in the cable discussion, hearing differences, but these are subtle and certainly not a night and day difference.

To get a better idea themselves regarding audible differences between cables (and to filter out placebo effects), they did some recording sessions in their studio. They recorded several takes of the same piece of music, where microphone cables were swapped, everything else remained the same. This gave an honest A/B comparison.

Now the fun part. They have made these recordings available, and invite their customers, you, me, everyone, to download these files, listen, and provide TRPTK feedback on what they heard. As an incentive for the effort, a one-year TRPTK Member Pass can be won.

Read the blog here.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #113,923 of 153,861
Good luck with that! I've lived all over Atlanta (deep in outer suburbs now) for 45+ years. It has it's charms and beautiful women but you have to develop a sense for when to duck.
From my limited time there, lots of neat things about Atlanta to me. Gotta know where to go and where not to go, and I've had some great guidance from folks at work. Fortunately I work (and will live) outside of Atlanta proper and the traffic isn't bad at all. If I had to drive in/out of the city every day I'd probably commit hari-kari. Went to Hal's the other night (their bone-in ribeye is pretty tasty)...20 miles from work and 1.25 hours getting there.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #113,924 of 153,861
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #113,925 of 153,861
Hey, @OldRoadToad?
Before I switch my Schiit off for the night, this one's specifically just for you:

1679363752666.jpeg
Behold! Schiit most excellent homage to "The Mandelorian"...Their own version of "The Dark Troopers" standing ready to crush the threat of Darth Blob and "The FARCE" aka, MQA. Thanks, brother! Those look reeeeeeeeeeeeeally sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back