Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #114,213 of 152,847
Is there a 2 channel setting in the sound settings of the TV?

Both it and the Apple TV have a "stereo" option which is what it's always been set to. I found a "reduce loud sounds" setting and that seems to help. Although it sounds pretty crappy to my audiophile ears. Pretty sure all they do is compress everything to like 6db DR...smfh.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #114,214 of 152,847
Yep, Syn will be next week. It may not be formally announced until the Schiitrless meet on the 30th to give us some time to build a few. But it will certainly be there.
I missed something. Have you announced what Syn is yet?

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #114,216 of 152,847
Yep, Syn will be next week. It may not be formally announced until the Schiitrless meet on the 30th to give us some time to build a few. But it will certainly be there.

In the meantime, a preview of Urd.

urd preview.jpg
My credit card is sweating with anticipation. Or maybe that’s just me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #114,218 of 152,847
I have done what I can to provide some items for the NC Schiit meet, time to work on making an amp prettier than the one I have Cowen. I get to choose which is the prettiest.🤪🤪2A289B7C-E64D-4AB7-9778-9DA81A5F080C.jpeg
@Paladin79 This is incredible! Thanks so much for doing this, will make a post on the event thread by tomorrow.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #114,219 of 152,847
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #114,220 of 152,847
That was my first introduction to both artists. I came out of it preferring Beefheart to Zappa.

Still love that album....
Listening to this as we speak!

15f4a697331f42ca2cff8e550732d3a1.jpg

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #114,221 of 152,847
Man, that Urd is a sexy piece of Schiit. Looking forward to completing a full size stack when it drops.

But, my stack is still missing an important piece - an FM Tuner. Maybe I'm old school but to me an FM Tuner would reallllly complete a full stack. No real options are going to mesh well on top of a Freya S, Loki Max, URD stack. Really don't want a Sangean or a Project S2. All silver a Zeus intended.

And I think Schiit's unique expertise in analog and digital could do some cool things with it and still keep it simple. Analog out as well as Unison out for HD Radio. Maybe an ADC to run it all over Unison if you want straight into the new URD hub. Simple screen and remote control. Don't need 30 presets, 6 will do. A man can dream...

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #114,222 of 152,847
Esquival. Dr Beefheart. Aamon Duul. Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band*. Gong. And that's without actually looking at my collection.

*EDIT - from one of their song lyrics was taken the band name "death cab for cutie".

Right you are. Captain Beefheart. Typing too fast.

Here's the track I referenced. Did not know it was in Magical Mystery Tour movie - I thought DCFC had done a much deeper dive to find their name.

Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 3.23.08 PM.jpg

Here they are doing a live version (warning: contains nudity).

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #114,223 of 152,847
I missed something. Have you announced what Syn is yet?
Only the name so far. We're trying to figure out how to best demo it at the Schiitrless meet. It'll be interesting.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #114,224 of 152,847
Rekkr Impressions

I finally got around to listening to my new Rekkr with my Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers. The playback chain is Windows 11 laptop running J River Media Center – Modi Multibit (the original) – Saga (the original) with Psvane tube – Rekkr (normally Aegir) – Omen Dirty Weekend and a pair of SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofers.

First, the Rekkr is tiny! It looks downright cute sitting on top of the Aegir. It runs slightly warm to the touch and has no problem driving my speakers to normal listening levels in my somewhat large room. The Rekkr has a different gain that the Aegir, so I needed to disconnect the subs while using the Rekkr.

So how does the Rekkr sound? The TL; DR version: Very nice indeed. The longer version: Good bass, engaging midrange and smooth treble. Good soundstage too, including sometimes placing instruments outside the between-the-speakers area. The Rekkr doesn’t have any signs of the annoying emphasis on the upper midrange/lower treble that some so-called ‘audiophile’ amps add to enhance the illusion of additional details. The Rekkr just has a smooth, evenhanded treble. Zu Audio speakers are very picky with amps – when the speaker/amp match doesn’t work the midrange tends to sound hard and the treble harsh. None of that with the Rekkr – it’s a good match for the Zus.

Does this mean that it’s time to sell the Aegir? No, of course not. The Aegir has a more filled-in and fleshed-out soundstage where the instruments seem a little bigger, the treble is a bit clearer and smoother and also a little less grainy, and the midrange sounds fuller and more expressive with the midrange magic that the Aegir provides. I can’t really speak for any differences in the bass since I run the Aegir with the subs engaged.

Conclusion? The Rekkr is a very nice little amp, with a sensational value for money ratio, but for me the Aegir remains my favorite. Well done Schiit!

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #114,225 of 152,847
Only the name so far. We're trying to figure out how to best demo it at the Schiitrless meet. It'll be interesting.
As long as it's not short for "Synthetic" I look forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back