Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #119,447 of 152,971
Not finding that - or much of his own work on Qobuz :frowning2:
Yeah, it's a small artist who writes low-cost stock music for TV productions.
…I think…
I mainly just posted the album because I was surprised at how good it is for what it is.
Discovered it because I shazam'd the credits roll for the 7th episode of the second season of James May's "Oh cook!"
The album can be found on Apple Music.
But I couldn't find anything from that guy on Qobuz, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's one of the few things that I'm not super thrilled about with Qobuz; that they don't receive quite the same attention from artists and labels as the bigger services do. Not Qobuz' fault, of course, if some artists and labels don't upload their catalog to them. But still not great for their subscribers. If it weren't for that,* I'd happily cancel my Apple Music subscription in a heartbeat and use Qobuz exclusively. Also because they handily outperform the other streamers in pretty much all other aspect anyway.

* …and their shockingly disappointing Apple CarPlay integration and complete lack of Apple TV support — although, to be fair, CarPlay could have gotten better since I last checked about a year and a half ago.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #119,448 of 152,971
Unless you want to jump down a really deep rabbit hole do not install a general purpose linux for the sole purpose of playing music. Use something audio specific such as volumio/moode/ropieee.
Oh, I'm already down that rabbit hole 🙂. I already have debian and mpd installed on my server. It's easier than most people think, and to date has been the most stable and best sounding rig I've had. If you have basic *nix skills, can edit configuration files, and don't mind a little tweaking, you're golden. I've done a moode install in the past but preferred going this route instead.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #119,450 of 152,971
That's not surprising if the Qobuz stream is at the original PCM sampling rate for the album. 96/24 -> downsample -> 44.1/16 -> upsample -> 96/24 is lossy, and what digital filters were used for downsampling and upsampling matter to the result.
I was not clear, sorry, I shouldn't have mentioned 44.1/16 in this context... the AURALiC never down-samples - if the Qobuz stream comes in as 44.1/16 and upsampling is on, it will send 176.4/24 to Yggy via AES/EBU. If the incoming stream is 96/24, it will upsample 2X and send 192/24 to Yggy. The filters are defined in a paper here: AURALiC Filter Modes

I think that the point that I was trying to make is that Yggy is perfectly happy with whatever bitrate/width that Qobuz gives it, and the addition of upsampling does not necessarily make things better, regardless of filter mode, et al.

Moar clar? :)

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #119,451 of 152,971
Yeah, it's a small artist who writes low-cost stock music for TV productions.
…I think…
I mainly just posted the album because I was surprised at how good it is for what it is.
Discovered it because I shazam'd the credits roll for the 7th episode of the second season of James May's "Oh cook!"
The album can be found on Apple Music.
But I couldn't find anything from that guy on Qobuz, either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's one of the few things that I'm not super thrilled about with Qobuz; that they don't receive quite the same attention from artists and labels as the bigger services do. Not Qobuz' fault, of course, if some artists and labels don't upload their catalog to them. But still not great for their subscribers. If it weren't for that,* I'd happily cancel my Apple Music subscription in a heartbeat and use Qobuz exclusively. Also because they handily outperform the other streamers in pretty much all other aspect anyway.

* …and their shockingly disappointing Apple CarPlay integration and complete lack of Apple TV support — although, to be fair, CarPlay could have gotten better since I last checked about a year and a half ago.

That is also the one downside of Qobuz. Some catalog misses and full CarPlay support. The only reason I keep Tidal around for my home listening is 2nd tier for when Qobuz doesn’t have the artist or album I want.

For any on the go listening it’s Apple Music

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #119,452 of 152,971
Nice! Yeah that's the exact power supply I ordered. They're taking their sweet time getting it shipped but I'm hoping it's worth it.
AES out. I have the 2.0 going to my Yggy, and a Lite going to my BF2. Allo Shanti is perfect for the 2.0 because you can supply linear power to the pi and hat separately.

I have the Allo Shanti feeding the Allo DigiOne Signature feeding my Bifrost 2/64 and it’s a great combination.

I also have the PI2AES into a Modius for my office setup and that is a great streamer also.

Down the road it will be PI2AES into a Yggy when I have the funds and the Bifrost will move to my office setup with the DigiOne Signature.

All my Roon enpoints are running Ropiee. That has been a super seamless and reliable OS.

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #119,453 of 152,971
If it weren't for that,* I'd happily cancel my Apple Music subscription in a heartbeat and use Qobuz exclusively. Also because they handily outperform the other streamers in pretty much all other aspect anyway.

Qobuz' CarPlay integration is still not as good as Tidal's, but it's no longer shockingly disappointing - at least not in my 2021 GLC (w/the Burmester system).

Jun 2, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #119,454 of 152,971
With much respect.... it seems odd to me for Jason to have said so, so many times, in the ongoing book, not to announce things in advance, but to still announce upcoming products at the risk they will not be on time or worse cannot come to market at all.... I don't understand it. I've not known another company that does it.
But what do I know. I enjoy what has come out.
I suppose that a Schiitizen's reality is that some times Sir Jason of Stoddard dangles a cruller donut and then takes it away only to later present us all with a tray of "Fresh-From-The-Oven-Schiit-Filled-Lovin'...Plain on the outside and anything but, on the inside".

'n' Schiit

D'ORTagnan

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #119,456 of 152,971
Qobuz' CarPlay integration is still not as good as Tidal's, but it's no longer shockingly disappointing - at least not in my 2021 GLC (w/the Burmester system).
Just gave Qobuz’ CarPlay integration another shot on my way to the grocery store. Crashed on me thrice while I was navigating menus, and it still lacks the most basic controls like repeat or shuffle, let alone more “advanced” stuff like favoriting a track.

Bummer, I really want to be able to use it more. But I guess I won’t be able to cancel my Apple Music subscription any time soon…

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #119,457 of 152,971
Just gave Qobuz’ CarPlay integration another shot on my way to the grocery store. Crashed on me thrice while I was navigating menus, and it still lacks the most basic controls like repeat or shuffle, let alone more “advanced” stuff like favoriting a track.

Bummer, I really want to be able to use it more. But I guess I won’t be able to cancel my Apple Music subscription any time soon…
I can't favorite a track using Qobuz and Android Auto, if that makes you feel any better.

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #119,458 of 152,971
Can we talk more about FPGA? Yes, I know it stands for Field-Programmable Gate Array. I know Chord does this.

What does FPGA mean for Schiit? What are the hypothetical advantages (and disadvantages) for Schiit going this direction? Do we think FPGA DACs from Schiit will eventually replace the entire line, from Modi to Yggy, or will it be a standalone product, perhaps a Gungnir 2? Or a Yggy 2?

Jun 2, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #119,459 of 152,971
Nice! Yeah that's the exact power supply I ordered. They're taking their sweet time getting it shipped but I'm hoping it's worth it.
You likely already know but: Don't forget to remove the jumper on the hat otherwise it will default to the hat powering the pi. You also will need to power them in order, hat first.

I love the products, just wish I'd known they were going to bring back the regular version, I had bought a mercury v2 just for the aes out and then sold it at a loss when the 2.0 came out. Oh well.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #119,460 of 152,971
Can we talk more about FPGA? Yes, I know it stands for Field-Programmable Gate Array. I know Chord does this.

What does FPGA mean for Schiit? What are the hypothetical advantages (and disadvantages) for Schiit going this direction? Do we think FPGA DACs from Schiit will eventually replace the entire line, from Modi to Yggy, or will it be a standalone product, perhaps a Gungnir 2? Or a Yggy 2?
Isn't used in MM2 as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back