Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #128,131 of 153,859
I was at a meetup that Jason talked at via Zoom about a month and a half ago, heard no mention of Midgard, guess it was too new.

Had the chance to listen to an HE-6 out of my SMSL SP200 XLR, the most powerful amp I have and it didn't drive it loud enough IMO. Is the Midgard powerful enough to drive edge case headphones like the HE-6?

I've been on the fence about ordering a crazy balanced amp like the VIolectrics but at $219 the Midgard looks too good to pass up.

Oct 11, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #128,132 of 153,859
Edit: Is that a blu-ray player sitting on top of the top speaker? You probably don't want vibration going thru that

Yep. So cheap it was free. ☺☺ But until I can afford a *ahem* better... CD player I only use it for music, so the centre channel isn't used in stereo playback.

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #128,134 of 153,859
Perhaps I missed this re Skoll, but I'm not seeing that it converts SE to balanced and vice-versa, correct? E.G. if I use SE in, I've got to use SE out?
Any in to any out is fine!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 11, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #128,135 of 153,859
Any in to any out is fine!
?! Wow. I'm very interested in checking this out. I've wished for a balanced phono pre as input to my Freya+ - and it will be interesting to see how this compares to my Rogue Audio Triton 2. It ticks almost all the boxes for why I bought the Triton (47K , 60-70db for my Grado Reference, subsonic filter, *and* mono switch). I would be happy to lose the remote for a mono switch :wink:

Well done, BTW :)

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #128,136 of 153,859
Not sure if it’s been mentioned anywhere before, but can you / should you add a phono preamp to a setup without a turntable, e.g. DAP/DAC —> Phono —> External Amp? Just curious if doing so would have any benefit? Came across a few articles that say the Phono improves overall SQ

Oct 11, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #128,137 of 153,859
Not sure if it’s been mentioned anywhere before, but can you / should you add a phono preamp to a setup without a turntable, e.g. DAP/DAC —> Phono —> External Amp? Just curious if doing so would have any benefit? Came across a few articles that say the Phono improves overall SQ
No, anyone reporting this is crazy or deaf.

Adding 40dB of gain, plus RIAA equalization, to line-level signals = instant clipping, horrible distortion. This isn't subtle.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 11, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #128,138 of 153,859
Thanks. I was aware of that change. The IRS ruling affects all services, not just PP. That article is from 2021 and the IRS defered it for a while. I believe it comes into effect this tax year.

Cheers
I understand that, I mainly used PayPal and I believe that was what was under discussion.

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #128,140 of 153,859
what really interests me about the Midgard is the XLR output impedance of 2. For us high ohm headphone lovers, we tend to gravitate towards higher output impedance devices like tube amps. It gives a more natural sound due to the lower dampening factor, generally speaking. What I'm really interested in hearing is a high output impedance solid state amp. Will it sound similar to tubes? Or will it still be very neutral like most sub-one output impedance amps? I know there's way more that goes into this, but in general I just find higher output impedance in general really plays better with high ohm headphones like the 300ohm Sennheisers and ZMFs of the world. I'm really excited to hear the upcoming JDS Labs/ZMF collaboration as it's going to have an output impedance of like 47 on one of the taps. For $220 I might have to try the Midgard and see how it sounds. @Jason Stoddard , how about a solid state amp for tube lovers with a highly variable output impedance? No clue how feasible that is, but I'd love to see something that can be adjusted from say 1ish to 100ish. I find for my 300ohm headphones the best way to tweak the sound to my liking is changing amps (ie. output impedance).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #128,141 of 153,859
Is Skoll able to be stacked on anything, like say a Bifrost 2?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #128,142 of 153,859
Ohh wow, that looks like an OLD Dynaudio center unless it's a DIY. Going by the tweeter it's got to be from the 90's maybe early 00's.

Totem Model 1 Signature Centre https://totemacoustic.com/product/model-1-signature-center/ to go with my Mani-2s https://www.stereophile.com/search/node/Mani-2

The stand mount Mani-2s go below 30Hz, they do voice and soundstage sublimely (they even seem to do height, which d'Appolinato layout can't), and they can go louder than I can stand with the right amp. But they dip below 4ohms at certain frequencies, so they can be tricky to drive and exhibit suckout with some amps.

The centre has the same voicing (same/similar drivers) so it makes for a pretty seamless front for HT.

I've heard better HT speaker setups (5 M&K S150s and a pair of subs is the best HT sound I've ever had in my house) — for straight stereo only Focal Mini-Utopias beat the Mani-2s for clarity and soundstage, but they didn't have the bass and were significantly more expensive. Also French vs. Canadian so I didn't feel bad going with the Totems.

I love the Mani-2s.

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #128,143 of 153,859
As I recall PayPal recently changed so I am pretty cautious when using it to accept funds.🤪
One thing I do not like about paypal, and i have and do use it..
Is to get money after a sale you HAVE to have an account linked to it.
This I do not like. I do not like entities that have ANY access to my bank accounts. Period, stop.
In the past you paid the fees, requested a check, another fee and they sent it to your address.
Besides the IRS $600 1099-K part.
This one thing rubs me the wrong way.
I long for the day when I could sell something most often at a loss to a person, they sent a check in the mail and I sent the article to them
These days are long gone.
Trust and handshakes....nada today.
I get the convience etc...but just call me old school.
Alex

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #128,144 of 153,859
A brief summary of my morning:
- Wakes up
- Checks head-fi for Skoll announcement
- "Fiddle-dee-dee, I've been logged out"
- Not wanting to waste precious time, checks Schiit site for news
- Sees "Triple Header" post that mentions Skoll
- Doesn't bother reading news post, goes right to Skoll page
- Doesn't bother reading Skoll page
- Clicks add to cart
- "2-3 weeks out? Yeah I can deal w that"
- Sets up Paypal Pay-in-4 plan (because why not?)
- Drinks coffee
- Logs back into head-fi

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #128,145 of 153,859
Is Skoll able to be stacked on anything, like say a Bifrost 2?
You'll probably struggle a bit in microgravity, but you should be able to stack 'em just fine here on Earth.

On a more serious note: I don't see why not. It's not like this thing would get Folkvangr levels of hot, and I don't see any inductors on the board, so it shouldn't be overly sensitive to interferences from neighboring devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back