Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #133,576 of 153,875
Have a listen to the video for the details, as there are a few changes from the Aegir 1.... For example Toroidal xformer, double the number of output devices, halo.... maybe more
I'll wait for Jason's chapter. Youtube is the work of satan and dialogue tends to be unintelligible. Sometimes I think they're all British on there.

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #133,577 of 153,875
The Gungnir 2 is intriguing. I am using a modest Modius AKM Unison in my home system after moving my Bifrost 2/64 to work. I was considering a Yggdrasil GS2 but now think that might be living in the past at this point. Who knows since the only info we have is Jason holding up the board and saying it would be their own Delta Sigma with new things in store. I suppose the worst scenario is I don’t want the Gungnir 2 and go for a LiM instead. Thoughts?

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #133,578 of 153,875
I also picked up one of these fancy American tubes. Haven’t tried it yet. Figured it would be a nice backup. I do wish it came a little taller or with a grippier surface.
IMG_4199.jpeg
Socket savers are your newest friends. And if not, try a 3” (7.6 ish cm) square of that rubberized shelf paper…

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #133,580 of 153,875
That's another I thought would be a slam/dunk.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #133,581 of 153,875
No mention of a multi-channel amplifier to match with Syn. 🤔
Would there have to be at least 2, the 5-Rekkr and the 5-Gjallarhorn? Or maybe Rekkr Mach5 Edition :-D

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #133,582 of 153,875
Question for any other MJ3 owners:

I have only my DAC plugged in through the XLR inputs on the MJ3, but I just switched to the RCA input on the amp to test for noise (without anything plugged into the amp's RCA inputs). To my surprise, when I turned the knob all the way up, I was able to hear the music coming from the XLR inputs while the switch was set to RCA. It's like the music is bleeding through the amps SE input channel from the XLR.

Someone else wanna try this, and/or explain why this could happen? Just connect only an XLR source, set the MJ3 to RCA/SE input and turn up the knob with music playing through XLR.

This happened to me once, when I had the RCA input selected by accident. I realized what had happened, switched the input to balanced and never worried about it again.

I think it was explained on SBAF or Head-Fi, but TLDR I wouldn't worry about it.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #133,583 of 153,875
Man, I cannot wait to read the Aegir 2 chapter to see if I still get to save $$$ on an Aegir 1 or not. I've been holding out this last month just for this.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #133,585 of 153,875
This happened to me once, when I had the RCA input selected by accident. I realized what had happened, switched the input to balanced and never worried about it again.

I think it was explained on SBAF or Head-Fi, but TLDR I wouldn't worry about it.
Sweet, I'll forget about it tomorrow. Also just discovered that my new Yggy+ GS2 still plays some sound through the left channel when muted. Let's hope I forget about that one too.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #133,586 of 153,875
Man, I cannot wait to read the Aegir 2 chapter to see if I still get to save $$$ on an Aegir 1 or not. I've been holding out this last month just for this.
Lol, samesies......
I was "almost a customer" for Aegir 1, but could never quite get there. Even at the current closeout discount, I was still not a customer for Aegir 1. Based on the Output Impedance nugget @Jason Stoddard shared in the video, I am absolutely buying Aegir 2. In my mind, they are not the same amp... but I haven't heard it. I do not think this is a "small iteration"...but I don't "know". I'm not even referring to the bump in power. I expect, for my preferences, the Aegir 2 will be notably better - for me. For what I have come to like, it is the obvious choice. The taste test will start with 1. If it tastes like I think it will, I will absolutely order the second unit.

I have made plenty of noise about my gear preference, why it's a preference, etc. My current amp is several multiples in cost, even in comparison to dual Aegir 2. I am hopeful Aegir 2 will stand on its own against a 5 figure (retail) amplifier that I really, really like.

This stuff is fun - especially if you know what you like and have an idea of the things that impact why you like it. If you have't tasted this stuff before, the Aegir 1 might be a good idea. If you decide it's not for you, you can get out of it without much of a hit. Now is the time to deploy Adam Smith's little known commentary about audio economics / purchase decision rationalization... "that new amp you don't really need only really costs you the difference between what you buy it for and what you sell it for... and you're losing money if you don't buy it on sale". Basic law of audio economics. :checkered_flag: :checkered_flag::checkered_flag:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #133,587 of 153,875
Question for any other MJ3 owners:

I have only my DAC plugged in through the XLR inputs on the MJ3, but I just switched to the RCA input on the amp to test for noise (without anything plugged into the amp's RCA inputs). To my surprise, when I turned the knob all the way up, I was able to hear the music coming from the XLR inputs while the switch was set to RCA. It's like the music is bleeding through the amps SE input channel from the XLR.

Someone else wanna try this, and/or explain why this could happen? Just connect only an XLR source, set the MJ3 to RCA/SE input and turn up the knob with music playing through XLR.
That's cross talk.
https://www.techtarget.com/searchnetworking/definition/crosstalk

That's why you'll see preamps that have relays close to input jacks to switch inputs. When you run signals through wires or circuit board traces that are close to other wires/traces, they can induce a signal into the other wire/trace.

I like to leave all my sources powered up. I can do that easily with a preamp that has relay inputs without fear of cross talk noise. I can run into problems trying that with a preamp with a simple source switch on the front panel. Adding relays adds cost and complexity though.

This is the same reason for the rear mounted power switch. Noise abatement.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #133,588 of 153,875
Funny how reading an article about a guy playing guitar with Hendrix can lead you to music by a guy named Lenny Breau.... guy had an influence on some tracks by BTO, The Police, likely others...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jimi-turned-round-said-hey-122816390.html

Album I am currently listening to, Lenny Breau and Chet Atkins, 2 guitars, some communication between the players and nothing else.

Magic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-233739.png
    Screenshot_20231221-233739.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #133,589 of 153,875
I was "almost a customer" for Aegir 1, but could never quite get there. Even at the current closeout discount, I was still not a customer for Aegir 1. Based on the Output Impedance nugget @Jason Stoddard shared in the video, I am absolutely buying Aegir 2. In my mind, they are not the same amp... but I haven't heard it. I do not think this is a "small iteration"...but I don't "know". I'm not even referring to the bump in power. I expect, for my preferences, the Aegir 2 will be notably better - for me. For what I have come to like, it is the obvious choice. The taste test will start with 1. If it tastes like I think it will, I will absolutely order the second unit.

I have made plenty of noise about my gear preference, why it's a preference, etc. My current amp is several multiples in cost, even in comparison to dual Aegir 2. I am hopeful Aegir 2 will stand on its own against a 5 figure (retail) amplifier that I really, really like.

This stuff is fun - especially if you know what you like and have an idea the things that matter for what you like. If you have't tasted this stuff before, the Aegir 1 might be a good idea. If you decide it's not for you, you can get out of it without much of a hit.
So, I have a pretty good general idea of the sound I like [Highly resolving but not overly analytical to the point of the music being bleached and sterile. It needs to always be fun and engaging, full and rich.] but not very much experience actually listening to much gear.

I am putting together a simple 2 channel system - my first Big Boy Audiophile System™️ - that I've pretty much settled on being a Freya N (already purchased), an Aegir (possibly going monoblocks down the road), driving Zu Dirty Weekend 6 speakers. All of this decision-making has been based on what others have said and the words they've used to describe these components and even these components all together. I know this system will have great synergy like I know a whiskey I will like versus one I maybe won't so much just from reading about it. But, you know, still kinda theoretical.

I am having to spread these purchases out a bit and once mention was made of an Aegir 2, I decided to hold off on the purchase of that until the Aegir 2 chapter comes out. Knowing almost nothing about what output impedance means wrt driving speakers, I'm not sure yet if that will be a deciding factor in going for the 2 vs the 1. I look forward to learning more about Aegir 2. :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #133,590 of 153,875
So, I have a pretty good general idea of the sound I like [Highly resolving but not overly analytical to the point of the music being bleached and sterile. It needs to always be fun and engaging, full and rich.] but not very much experience actually listening to much gear.

I am putting together a simple 2 channel system - my first Big Boy Audiophile System™️ - that I've pretty much settled on being a Freya N (already purchased), an Aegir (possibly going monoblocks down the road), driving Zu Dirty Weekend 6 speakers. All of this decision-making has been based on what others have said and the words they've used to describe these components and even these components all together. I know this system will have great synergy like I know a whiskey I will like versus one I maybe won't so much just from reading about it.

I am having to spread these purchases out a bit and once mention was made of an Aegir 2, I decided to hold off on the purchase of that until the Aegir 2 chapter comes out. Knowing almost nothing about what output impedance means wrt driving speakers, I'm not sure yet if that will be a deciding factor in going for the 2 vs the 1. I look forward to learning more about Aegir 2. :)

Sounds like an awesome plan. A friendly idea, if you are buying the Zu, buy a couple of sets of their snubbers at the same time, at various resistance levels. They are fun to play around with and really do impact what you hear from the speakers.

I remain super convinced that component synergy is real, the snubbers help to get the best sound from your components, for your tastes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back