Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #133,622 of 153,867

There is a perception perpetuated at another forum that the SE of the Yggy is "gimped" compared to the balanced because it uses summers to go from balanced to SE.

I can neither confirm nor deny as I hear no difference.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #133,623 of 153,867
Any else’s yggy mute switch not properly kill the signal in both channels? My right side goes silent but the left signal passes through, quieter and very distorted, but it’s getting through.

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #133,624 of 153,867
1703260651331.png

Yes please .....

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #133,625 of 153,867

Yes please .....
If they can fit all of that into a Gungnir-sized chassis, they gotta be able to fit 2x GHorns with chokes to make a stereo mini-Tyr, right? :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #133,626 of 153,867
No mention of a multi-channel amplifier to match with Syn. 🤔
I may be mistaken, but I think when "multi-channel amp" has come up, the response has been "Yeah... Emotiva has you covered."

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #133,627 of 153,867
Great! This is all very helpful info for me to digest. I appreciate it a lot!
My pleasure. I like helping people, especially if they have a fresh basket of hot fries.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #133,628 of 153,867
I may be mistaken, but I think when "multi-channel amp" has come up, the response has been "Yeah... Emotiva has you covered."
this is true, but he has also said that a multi-channel amp isnt out of the question. His "emotiva has you covered" was the standard answer pre Syn release and pre smaller amps (rekkr and gjallerhorn). not saying they ARE dropping a multi-channel, just saying that the standard response isnt the same for that question, though if Jason feels I'm putting words in his mouth, I will gladly stand corrected--and would make a post quoting myself and explaining that I was wrong.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #133,629 of 153,867

Yes please .....
oh MAN do I wanna try out a Gungnir 2 with their version of D/S. At the price level, I'd love to try it in person, just because I generally don't blind buy products over a certain price, but Schiit does have that 15 day returns thing...but at the same time, I don't WANT to do a return, I'd rather audition it for a while at a show, check the measurements, then listen some more before dropping money on a product thats between URD price and Yggy+ GS2 price.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #133,630 of 153,867
Did I hear someone says all tube phono preamp?! I was just about to get the Skoll next month, but I can wait.
It should be interesting, but I was honestly a bit disappointed that this is not the Nexus-based prototype that @Jason Stoddard mentioned in the Skoll chapter.

Thought Jason was the in the SS camp of phono preamp instead of tube (limited rolling options, etc, iterated multiple times in the past). Guess the market force / voice is in the play...

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #133,631 of 153,867
It should be interesting, but I was honestly a bit disappointed that this is not the Nexus-based prototype that @Jason Stoddard mentioned in the Skoll chapter.

Thought Jason was the in the SS camp of phono preamp instead of tube (limited rolling options, etc, iterated multiple times in the past). Guess the market force / voice is in the play...
I think he *is* in the Solid State camp for phono preamps, but there must be enough interest in the community as well as enough people at Schiit that got him to at least make a prototype and he must have really liked one of the prototypes he made. Skoll was made because of a gap in the market wrt balanced phono preamps, so they must be shooting for a gap in the tube phono pre market and doing a single run to see how much actual support there is for that product. This is based not on any inside info, just from enough times watching all the schiit live streams and reading the chapters and whatnot. So I could be wrong!

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #133,633 of 153,867
A few comments:

1. Yggy SE output "gimped?" No. It handles SE in the proper way from a hardware-balanced (one DAC channel per phase) implementation: it is summed from the balanced output. Yggy A1 and A2 SE measure worse because it is a simple two-FET summer doing the summing. LIM and MIB measure exactly the same balanced and SE because an op-amp is doing the summing. And FR, as in "frequency response?" Ah come on. Literally every product we make, and literally every product made by any manufacturer is ruler-flat, unless it's not intended to be (EQ or phono preamp) or has limitations such as tubes running through transformers. Can we put this one to bed?

2. Waiting for tube phono? Bring a big wallet. It won't be much under 2K. And yeah, most likely really a limited run.

3. Multichannel amps? Sure, maybe sometime, maybe soonish. We have other priorities. And it won't be a big power amp, maybe Aegir power, so don't get excited about a billion watts x 16 or anything like that.

4. DDC? Not convinced there's real demand for that.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #133,634 of 153,867
Okay, those answers from Jason should be good clarification for those wanting info on those points. Now if I can just get him to answer whether Midgard ended up eating into Asgard 3 sales or not... (sales data may not be something Jason wants to talk about early into the lifecycle of a product, IDK, I still keep going to that question when seeing midgard talked about. My prediction was that they are sufficiently different enough to not have one product eat the other in sales.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #133,635 of 153,867

Users who are viewing this thread

Back